Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By halcion1
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    So here's the situation...

I purchased a 2 Pre Plus from Verizon a little over a year ago to take advantage of the free mobile hotspot deal. In retrospect it was a great deal considering the price of 5 GBytes for mobile internet these days. My biggest grip for last year with the Pre Plus has been the ability to sync music with my computer. When I heard that a new service (Spotify) was coming to the US I became excited because the options in the US...well...suck (in my humble option). Anything new that fights against the slow progress of large corporate innovation is good in my book. I became even more excited when I found out that WebOS already had an app for this new service available (suck it iOS & Android users). I didn't know anything about Spotify until three days ago, but now I can say this service is much better than everything available in the US currently. I have never paid for a music service before, but this service is so good that I'm willing to pay the premium for it (10 bucks a month is a fair price for unlimited music in my opinion). The reviews are correct in my opinion the killer app here is the ability to download the music to a device, but the service has some issues which is why I decided to write this post.

The first issue I noticed is that the collection isn't the most complete. I like alternative music, and bands like Band of Horses, Foster the People, and Aerosmith disc collections aren't complete (ok Aerosmith isn't exactly alt rock but shouldn't distract from my point). I pushed tried to find the extent of the collection in finding obscure music, and while I found %90 of what I was looking some songs on certain albums weren't available. I'm picky about which version of a song I like.

Ok, so sorry to be long winded, but I wanted to include some impression about the service. There's the biggest Problem.

3G Syncing on the Pre Plus on Verizon has problems. When I have a playlist synced to download via the 3G network Spotify connection becomes broken after a while. The green header bar is black and will only blink green momentarily before going black again, meaning that there is no network connection. If I click on a song to play it I get a message "streaming requires an active connection to Spotify." If I turn off sync by un-checking the playlist for a while and then turn in on again it seems to work again, but there is something wrong with the 3G sync. I would sync via Wifi, but I use my mobile hotspot as my internet connection (the phone cann't connect to itself), and I have only 5GB of download freedom. And before you ask, Yes, I do have the 3G sync preference turned on when this happens. I believe the phone/3G network/program gets overloaded when it trying to sync and play music over the connection. Also it seems that adding music to my playlist via the windows program (remember I have two phones with Hotspot connections) is also detrimental to the system. All these problems seem to be easily solutions to fix if someone works on the app (**Ahem** HP).

Note to HP, I think this is a problem you will want to actively solve. Spotify has the potential to be a big deal here in the US. If WebOS doesn't want to be a distance memory in tech history then get on. Having the hottest technology working NOW is critically important to WebOS survival. Apple has made a reputation of "it just works," you should too. Also don't forget the old tech. We/I invested in your products because we believe it has potential. Don't make us regret our decision by not offering us the most current services. Hell, I only purchased the damn thing a year ago.

Finally an observation I thought I would point out about Spotify that hasn't been mentioned in the reviews I've read. The issue is that you can only stream one song at time from one device at a time. I thought I could stream a song from my phone while streaming a song from the computer. Yeah No, it doesn't work. I was impressed by how fast one turned off the other. It looks like they got that piece of code to work properly...unfortunately. This means you can't share an account unless you and someone else are don't use the service at the same time. This could be problematic for my wife and I, and I don't want to spend money on another account. The second observation that I observed is that.

In summary, Spotify is great service and would recommend it to anyone that would love to have all the music you can listen readily available. Again the sync feature with the ability to download locally without commercials is the killer combination here, but they are also the features that need a little work for a "it just works" status...for the Pre Plus at least.

-DeadWeight
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    were you invited to spotify, or did you pay? - curious...waiting for an invite still...

on a side note, I've always loved Ampache on my Pre - I can access my entire library at will. Definitely worth setting up if you're a music lover with a large collection at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by halcion1 View Post
    were you invited to spotify, or did you pay? - curious...waiting for an invite still...

on a side note, I've always loved Ampache on my Pre - I can access my entire library at will. Definitely worth setting up if you're a music lover with a large collection at home.
    I have referral invites for Spotify through Klout (which is how I got in), I've been using the free version of Spotify since friday & it's pretty awesome. I'm probably gonna upgrade to the premium version. Klout is also a pretty cool service as well that you may like.

Here's the referral link. I believe it's good for 5 invites & I've had 2 people use it already. So it should be good for 3 more.

Klout | Spotify Free Accounts
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Thanks! - as luck would have it, I checked my email right after I posted, and was invited! just got it...sweet! I was getting tired of the Pandora ads...lol
    SmartFah likes this.
    spotify is great man, but it just came out this week in us

give it some time to grow. its been like 4 days
    also i think i got a few invites left. pm if you interested
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Hopefully they will lower the price once they build more of a fan-base...I can do all of the mobile stuff via Ampache now...
    Hey,
    If anyone happens to have an extra invite I'd be happen to take it off their hands.
    Does it only stream if you are in 3G coverage? I've been getting 'unable to stream this song' errors this morning after installing the app but I'm stuck with 1x data right now.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I have referral invites for Spotify through Klout (which is how I got in), I've been using the free version of Spotify since friday & it's pretty awesome. I'm probably gonna upgrade to the premium version. Klout is also a pretty cool service as well that you may like.

Here's the referral link. I believe it's good for 5 invites & I've had 2 people use it already. So it should be good for 3 more.

I have 1 more referral invite through Klout for anyone that needs it.
    Quote Originally Posted by deadweight View Post
    So here's the situation...

...3G...on the Pre Plus on Verizon has problems...the 3G network Spotify connection becomes broken after a while. The green header bar is black and will only blink green momentarily before going black again, meaning that there is no network connection. If I click on a song to play it I get a message "streaming requires an active connection to Spotify."

-DeadWeight
    I'm a recent US spotify premium member, and a long time vzw pre+ user (NOT running on a version of 2.0). I am having the same issue as the OP, quoted above.

I moved to the spotify premium explicitly for the mobile experience, and this issue has put me in a point where I'm ready to cancel before I've even used the service for a month.

I wanted to see if there were any other pre kids out there with similar problems, or who've found a cause or solution to this issue. I saw in the app catalogue a reviewer who says the issue is a bad 3g back-end on the app itself, since it's not really a "US version" of the app...more so it's the UK version released stateside. Is there any confirmation to this? It appears on the spotify website they state the mobile app is only for Spain/UK/France etc...but one can never be sure if they just didnt bother to update their palm info page (because, seriously, who cares?)

I've attached a screenshot of my typical problem - the "need network connection" error...while visibly connected to the 3G
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Connection Issues | WebOS | Pre Plus | Verizon | Premium Account

if anyone else has had this problem, the user John Wayne, at the getsatisfaction forums had posted a really effective work around...its figuratively a little bit a priming the pump, and you're off...

requisite copy pasta
    1. Start with opening up wifi, connect to your hotspot / accespoint
    2. Start spotify wait for it to come Online
    3. Turn off wifi on your webos device, now it switches to #g (if you have it enabled offcourse)
    4. No Keep the Spotify Card open! And you can use it on the go.
    (5.) If you don't want it to be connected all the time, go to preferences (in spotify) and enable "force offline" , disable it when you want to stream music.