1.    #1  
    So all of a sudden I have no data connection. Phone works fine on wifi, but I have no Evdo 3G or 1xRTT 2G.

I ran the device tests and it came back with hardware failure code 20: Modem.

Am I totally screwed? I assume I cannot even use this phone to perform a franken-Pre2 since the modem is part of the COMM board, correct?

Thoughts?

This is a launch day pre minus, and I've been desperately hanging on until the Pre3, but this thing is finally crapping out. I think the last thing I did was use FreeTether to get my TouchPad fired up for the first time and everything synced over. It worked perfectly, connection was fast and uninterrupted. I highly doubt FreeTether could have caused the problem. Also, this phone spends the vast majority of its time on wifi at home and work, so it's not like the data modem gets worked very hard. Any way to fix or use to convert to a Pre2 just to hold me over for a while?
    Last edited by WindyCityPre; 07/05/2011 at 01:33 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Anybody? I guess I can ask WebOS World if the modem is part of the comm board...
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    If the comm board is the board below the battery and behind the keyboard, then I would say yes. Because the antenna on the back cover is attached to that board.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > BlackBerry Q10 > HP VZPre 3
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    I'm having a similar issue with the exception that my hardware passes the self-test. The 3g data is intermittent. I'm thinking of replacing the comm board, but I'm wondering if it will change the ENS, wifi mac, and bluetooth address.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > BlackBerry Q10 > HP VZPre 3
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityPre View Post
    So all of a sudden I have no data connection. Phone works fine on wifi, but I have no Evdo 3G or 1xRTT 2G.

I ran the device tests and it came back with hardware failure code 20: Modem.

Am I totally screwed? I assume I cannot even use this phone to perform a franken-Pre2 since the modem is part of the COMM board, correct?
    The modem is part of the comm board. But you may not be completely hosed here. Error Code 20 doesn't necessarily mean the modem is bad. Simply having your data connecting turned off when running the test will also give this error. I've just solved a 3G data issue with my own phone.

Quote Originally Posted by namgod View Post
    I'm having a similar issue with the exception that my hardware passes the self-test. The 3g data is intermittent. I'm thinking of replacing the comm board, but I'm wondering if it will change the ENS, wifi mac, and bluetooth address.
    Changing the comm board will definitely change the phone's ESN. That's why you can do a FrankenPre without having to go through your carrier - your ESN moves to the new phone when you swap the board. Not positive, but I'm pretty sure wifi and BT MAC addresses are on the comm board as well.

namgod, since your problem is intermittent, I'd say there's a 90% chance you've got a bad flex cable. WindyCityPre, I think there's a good chance that you've got flex cable issues too. The other possibility is bad modem firmware. You might try the fix on this page. Don't read too much into a successful firmware flash, though. Mine completed with apparent success but I still couldn't get 3G. Replacing the flex cable fixed my problem.

Can't find it right now, but while researching my own problem I came across a post from one of the authors of the FW flash page I linked above. He said that if you can still make phone calls, the modem is good.

WindyCityPre, you could definitely go ahead with a FrankenPre attempt. As long as the Pre+ or Pre2 shows a 3G connection, the flex cable should be good. When you move your comm board into the the + or 2, the flex cable doesn't get moved.

namgod, if you don't want to change ESN and the like, you've got a couple of options. You can either get a different Pre, (or Pre+ or Pre2) and move your comm board into it, or you can just buy a replacement flex cable. A google shopping search for "palm pre flex cable" shows several different items, but the one you want is a ribbon cable with a T-shape at one end and an L-shape at the other. If you can manage changing a comm board, you can handle the flex cable - there's only 4 more screws.

If you look at the iFixIt teardown for guidance, skip the step where they remove the keyboard bezel. It isn't necessary for changing the flex cable, and it's a real pain to put back on.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Thanks <JoshLitwiller>, the 3g problem went away for a while, but has returned. 3g will work with the keyboard half closed. So, it looks like a new flex cable is the fix. Thanks again.
    I have a similar set of issues. My voice does not hold a conversation, drops within seconds after connecting, or the receiving party can not hear me. I also have intermittent with 3G data. The indicators on the display also cycle off and on. Should I replace Comm board? Or just ribbon cable.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
    I have a similar set of issues. My voice does not hold a conversation, drops within seconds after connecting, or the receiving party can not hear me. I also have intermittent with 3G data. The indicators on the display also cycle off and on. Should I replace Comm board? Or just ribbon cable.
    I'd start with the cable and move on from there. I plan on ordering a cable tonight, and should be able to post whether it fixes my problem in the coming week.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Ordered the "comm to motherboard" ribbon cable from flexqueen.com and it arrived in 2 days. Not bad since the site said 4-7 days. Took the Pre+ apart using info on Precentral, installed the cable and reassembled. I didn't think this would be too tough because I've done a lot of surface mount microscope assisted soldering. But unfortunately the Pre would not turn on. Took it all apart, reseated all the connectors and tried again. Still dead. Installed the original cable and it fired up fine. Bum new cable?.? I guess. I'll order a new cable from GlobalDirectParts.com and see how it works. At Least I've gotten pretty good at Pre assembly.
    Last edited by namgod; 09/17/2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Add a capitol letter.
    Question about the flex cable: if the flex cable is bad can you still make calls?

I noticed this morning I cannot get a data connection or make a call. I can receive calls however. Diagnostic tests returns error code 20 for the modem but reading the comments about the flex cable I wonder - and hope - that perhaps that's all it is. I have a cable from another Pre I can use but I don't have another Sprint comm board. Hate to go to the trouble of switching the cable if it's clear that my modem is toast though.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wtgreen View Post
    Question about the flex cable: if the flex cable is bad can you still make calls?

I noticed this morning I cannot get a data connection or make a call. I can receive calls however. Diagnostic tests returns error code 20 for the modem but reading the comments about the flex cable I wonder - and hope - that perhaps that's all it is. I have a cable from another Pre I can use but I don't have another Sprint comm board. Hate to go to the trouble of switching the cable if it's clear that my modem is toast though.
    Yes, one can still make calls, in my case anyway. the flex cable from the motherboard to the modem is a 50 pin cable that handles data to and from the modem as well as power and keyboard output to the rest of the phone. Mine only knocks out my 3g. But depending on the wire or wires that fail could cause more than just modem problems. For my particular Pre+, it works fine if the keyboard is slid half shut. There have been times when the communication between the motherboard and the modem have been so bad as to prevent screen instructions from being sent to the modem. (such as number inputs during a call and the hangup button.)

But to answer the hidden question a flex cable failure can also prevent the receiving of calls.
    Last edited by namgod; 09/20/2011 at 11:21 AM. Reason: clarity
    Thanks for your reply namgod. Actually, I can receive calls but I can't make them. The dialer doesn't even attempt to dial when I press the call button.

However, it seems I've found one other possible solution to this problem: the Doctor. I figured it wouldn't hurt to Doctor the phone even if I didn't think it would solve the problem. While I have run a heavily patched and overclocked phone with webOS 2.1 for a long time, I've never had any real problems with it. I haven't installed anything new recently either, and the phone was working fine yesterday. But just for kicks I figured I'd Doctor back to my original 2.1 and low and behold suddenly the modem is working again.

I should point out Doctoring was after I'd already restarted the device multiple times, performed a battery pull and left the phone turned off for a while as well. I really didn't think the Doctor would help, but I thought ultimately I might doctor back to 1.4.5 and take the phone to Sprint since I have insurance. If I was going to go back to 1.4.5 there was no harm in running my 2.1 Doctor again first. Suddenly the modem is working again.

No idea what might have messed up my phone's modem. Like I said I haven't installed any new kernels or patches in weeks, and I haven't even used any new apps either. Maybe a file got corrupted in the file system that was keeping things from working correctly. In any event I figured I'd post back and add another option for others that encounter this problem. It's a lot easier to Doctor than replace one of those little flex cables.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wtgreen View Post
    Thanks for your reply namgod. Actually, I can receive calls but I can't make them. The dialer doesn't even attempt to dial when I press the call button.

However, it seems I've found one other possible solution to this problem: the Doctor. I figured it wouldn't hurt to Doctor the phone even if I didn't think it would solve the problem. While I have run a heavily patched and overclocked phone with webOS 2.1 for a long time, I've never had any real problems with it. I haven't installed anything new recently either, and the phone was working fine yesterday. But just for kicks I figured I'd Doctor back to my original 2.1 and low and behold suddenly the modem is working again.

I should point out Doctoring was after I'd already restarted the device multiple times, performed a battery pull and left the phone turned off for a while as well. I really didn't think the Doctor would help, but I thought ultimately I might doctor back to 1.4.5 and take the phone to Sprint since I have insurance. If I was going to go back to 1.4.5 there was no harm in running my 2.1 Doctor again first. Suddenly the modem is working again.

No idea what might have messed up my phone's modem. Like I said I haven't installed any new kernels or patches in weeks, and I haven't even used any new apps either. Maybe a file got corrupted in the file system that was keeping things from working correctly. In any event I figured I'd post back and add another option for others that encounter this problem. It's a lot easier to Doctor than replace one of those little flex cables.
    Glad to hear that it's working. Avoid going from 2.1 to 1.4.5 if possible because once the online database goes to the webos 2.n format, it can't go back to the webos 1.n format
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Bought a VZ Pre+ on Ebay with a broken usb port. Removed the ribbon cable and install it in my VZ Pre+. Woot! I now have working 3g regardless of the slider position. 30 bucks well spent.