1.    #1  
    We're on vacation right now, and I've been having fine luck turning off the data radio unless I need it for something. That's been getting me through the day to the point where I don't need the second battery I'm sure to carry in my pocket. This morning was weird though. I woke up with my Pre+ on the Touchstone, and it's overheating to the point where it's not charging. The phone has been on the TS for 8-9 hours, and it's at 94%. I took it off the TS, pulled off the back to let it cool down, and then put it back on the TS with the slider open, hoping to get it up to 100%. Once it got there, I took it off the TS, turned off the data radio, and put it in my pocket.

By the time we were done with breakfast at the hotel, maybe an hour later, it was down to 84% ... with the data turned off and I hadn't touched it. At this point I rebooted the phone (didn't know what else to do). Strangely, that took care of the problem. I managed to end the day at the theme park (think Mickey) with 60% left over. This was maybe 7 hours after we left the hotel.

Weird, huh? Any ideas what the hell happened?
    In my opinion the power board in the Pre- is temperature sensitive. It just flips out when it gets hot (low tower signal, etc). When I use mine at indoor pools for swim meets I have to use NoDoze because when it heats up it drains like crazy if I don't.

After I get out of the big Faraday Cage I still run NoDoze for a couple of hours until it cools down. After awhile (sometimes a day or two) it goes back to normal. Until I do something that makes it heat up again (GPS navigation, bad data signal, etc).

So my guess is the power board Palm got from TI is flaky when hot.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    What is "NoDoze" ?

Is that a patch or slang for something?

thanks for your time
    Martin
    Running WebOS v2.24 on HPalm Pre3
    NoDoze is a homebrew app to keep the phone from sleeping.
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    I woke up with my Pre+ on the Touchstone, and it's overheating to the point where it's not charging. The phone has been on the TS for 8-9 hours, and it's at 94%.
    How do you know it was overheating. Did you measure the temp? If yes what tool?
    How do you measured the capacity?
    Do you have the "actual battery percentage" patch installed? If yes 94% even on TS is normal because the device gets charged to 100% then run from battery until 94%-95% and then gets charged again.

I just want to make sure you're talking about real values.
    I had such problem with my pre2 once. It was getting very hot at the radio portion on the bottom, and a huge drain until I switched airplane mode on.
  6.    #6  
    Checked the temp with Govnah (it was at 49 degrees). Don't have the actual battery percentage patch installed, but it's not normal for me to take the phone off the TS at 94% when it's been charging all night.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    Checked the temp with Govnah (it was at 49 degrees). Don't have the actual battery percentage patch installed, but it's not normal for me to take the phone off the TS at 94% when it's been charging all night.
    Install Somline's Dr. Battery from preware. A percentage is just a rough estimate of the charge in the battery.

Also, make sure to hit the sweet spot if you are using a touchstone. My wife has a habit of not quite setting the phone in the right spot and that makes it flip out (charge, drain, charge, drain, overheat, go dead).
    In the attached chart you can see how the device reacts while charging beyond 100%. Between 00:00 and 4:00 you clearly can see what I was talking about (the yellow wave). The device charges to 100% then runs from battery until 94-95% and then charges again.
    I don't know why palm has implemented this.

EDIT: BTW: 49C is hot but a possible value while charging. I don't would consider this overheating.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    In the attached chart you can see how the device reacts while charging beyond 100%. Between 00:00 and 4:00 you clearly can see what I was talking about (the yellow wave). The device charges to 100% then runs from battery until 94-95% and then charges again.
    I don't know why palm has implemented this.

EDIT: BTW: 49C is hot but a possible value while charging. I don't would consider this overheating.
    I'm aware of how the charging cycle works. My point is that not only was it sitting at 94% when I pulled it from the TS, it was quite hot and discharging at a nutty rate. I got it cooled off and charged up to 100%, but by the time I got through the middle of breakfast, it was down to 84% ... and the data radio was *turned off* from the moment I took it off the TS. That isn't normal. It also isn't normal for the rapid discharge to be fixed by a reboot.

Since that reboot I've had no trouble. While we've been on vacation, I set up a mode in Mode Switcher where the wifi radio is off and the data radio only turns on when I unlock the phone. Whenever I have a quiet moment, I turn it on and grab emails. It's been working fantastically. I've been generally taking it off the TS at 8 or 8:30am and getting to 8-9pm with about 80-85% of my battery left.

All of this is a long way of saying there's nothing wrong with my battery. This was just a weird incident and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar.