1.    #1  
    My phone has been acting a little sketchy for months, freezing, not waking up, touch screen becoming unresponsive. Now, the volume icon is permanently displayed at the bottom of the screen, the center button is all but not working, and I am having great trouble trying to get the screen to respond. I doctored it (it took for tries) and I am running it un-patched, but no luck.

My phone is still under warranty until July, so I am, reluctantly, going to brave the Sprint store. The last time they replaced my phone (Pre number 9), last July, they offered my three options:

1) Take the Pre they had (reluctant to give it because I had so many problems previously)

2) Take a Palm Pixi or

3) Take a Samsung Instinct.

Since the second and third options were definitive steps backward, I declined and took the Pre. So far, it has been the longest lasting one of them all and I am saddened that I can't seem to get it back on track.

I am anticipating one of the following things:

1) They tell me they have to order me a refurbed Pre, and I hope that it arrives in decent shape. --I do want WebOS, but the refurbs have gone increasingly down hill, so I have my concerns.

2) They offer me something else. But, what are they offering as a replacement? Realistically, WebOS is so advanced that nothing short of an EVO, Galaxy S, Nexus S or even an EVO Shift comes close but still falls short of what WebOS can do. I know these are all 4G phones, and I don't really care about 4G (it doesn't really work where I am anyway). I care about the features and functionality of the device and I still see the Pre in their class, not a back level device like a Hero or Instinct.

So... anyone have any recent experience with warranty replacement with a different phone? What did they give you?

Thanks!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    they offered me a pixi an instinct a hero and a very old blackberry. All those are no where near as good as a pre. So I just keep accepting refurbs and check them in the store, if its bad they'll send it back for a new one.
    btw i am seriously contemplating the blackberry even though it has no wifi, camera etc... Just because it is stable and never breaks. Im just done with my pre after having 6
  4.    #4  
    Yeah, I'm hoping after 10 Pre's and 15 years with Sprint, that I will be able to leverage something better than an Instinct, a Hero or a Blackberry. They really need to understand that, sucky hardware or no, the Pre- is still better than virtually anything they offer. I would consider an EVO Shift to be "settling".
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Yeah, I'm hoping after 10 Pre's and 15 years with Sprint, that I will be able to leverage something better than an Instinct, a Hero or a Blackberry. They really need to understand that, sucky hardware or no, the Pre- is still better than virtually anything they offer. I would consider an EVO Shift to be "settling".
    I tried to get something better. It's all up to the manager of the store. I even spent 3 hours on the phone with sprint warranty replacement begging for a different model but no luck. I've tried 3 managers and all of them say they can't do anything but the three they offered me. Let me know if u have any luck and what u did
    I've been through a few refurbs myself and had one dud. They look new but they are not always perfect. The dud one had a keyboard that was "loose" as in you can lift the keys off the resting place if you pinched it with your fingers and lift... and then soon the keys stopped working altogether. That one went back. That one also could not handle 1ghz OC... 800 was max. The one I'm on now has been good. Slight oreo with this one (the previous 2 had solid slider) but that's a build issue, not electronics.

But 9 Pres??? Seriously? Wow.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I've been through a few refurbs myself....But 9 Pres??? Seriously? Wow.
    Yeah. All legit issues too. No whining about "oreo effect" (even though I dealt with that too) or "light bleed" (same). If you run a search on my posts, you will find the breakdown of why, if you like.

It's not that I'm such a ******, it's that nothing else Sprint had came close to measuring up and I'd rather deal with swapping devices than put up with a dated Android or BB device.
  8.    #8  
    Update... Went to the Sprint store. Dropped off my phone, and 2 hours later they told me they couldn't resolve my issue and ordered me another. Hopefully it will be better than most or the refurbs I have had, most of which I never left the store with. Wish me luck!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    I just got a refurb from Sprint and it's perfect, so far!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by petbull View Post
    I just got a refurb from Sprint and it's perfect, so far!
    Historically, mine have always had some notable function issue, terrible slider issues (one wobbled like crazy and could be scissored side to side quite noticeably) or cracks in the upper edges of the screen, inside.

The one I have, which is brand new, lasted one month shy of a year, and it was the longest lasting replacement. But, I will take your post as encouraging and hope for the best.
    does anyone know what the current alternate devices are for 3 replacements in 6 months? my phone just broke in half and i'm so done with the build quality of the palm pre
    My sis just had her Pre replaced. The Sprint store initially ordered her a Hero which they told her was vastly superior to the Pre. Then she went to pick up the Hero only to find out it didn't have a keyboard so she had them send it back for another Pre.

Sprint really needs a better insurance replacement for the Pre. The closest phone they offer that wouldn't change my monthly bill is the Samsung Replenish. I love my Pre but it just falls apart over time. My sis is on Pre #5 right now, I'm on #6.