1.    #1  
    Is there an alternative to the email client the Pre - (1.45) comes with? I looked in App Catalog, and didnt find anything.

thanks

Sprint Pre-
    UK Screenstate 500/1ghz
    Mode Switcher--RULES !!!
    Advanced preferences by Sconix
    Lots of patches
    no, don't think webos allows it.

the mobile websites for yahoo, msn, aol, and gmail are pretty decent.
    the way webos is architected, homebrewers just create patches to add stuff to the built-in email app.

what specific features are you looking to add?
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    The email client in WebOs is one of its best features. All clients can be accessed under one email icon and every email, regardless of client, provides the same notification.

Android, for example, has a separate client for Pop/Imap, Exchange and Gmail.

What do you find missing in WebOs's client? There are several patches which can extend the client.
    Quote Originally Posted by japark View Post
    The email client in WebOs is one of its best features. All clients can be accessed under one email icon and every email, regardless of client, provides the same notification.

Android, for example, has a separate client for Pop/Imap, Exchange and Gmail.

What do you find missing in WebOs's client? There are several patches which can extend the client.
    I can think of a few:

Slow
    Unreliable - particularly with POP
    Sometimes message database gets corrupt and the only fix is to remove the account and add it back.

Note: My wife's pre plus is totally unpatched and we have experienced this on both her phone and mine. This is also something we have seen across 6 separate hardware devices (our first two pre's each had keyboard issues).
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    You are unlikely to see a different email client on WebOs.

If you really don't like the WebOs email client, perhaps you should think about using a different OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by japark View Post
    You are unlikely to see a different email client on WebOs.

If you really don't like the WebOs email client, perhaps you should think about using a different OS.
    Yea, if you don't like the cell phone you should just leave! (:good grief!

Seriously though, if you need to, you can use a web client, like gmail that works very well.
    As a matter of fact, you can have gmail check your POP account and use the webos mail with gmail IMAP. (increase reliability)

You can also try upgrading to WebOS2, or getting the email client source and making the changes yourself.

alternate email clients on webOS would not be a bad thing IMHO. They can bring things that would provide a completely unique email experience.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Would like a client with threaded messaging and multiple selection....
  9.    #9  
    you are right. the email client does its basic function of delivering mail to our phones. But it is basic, limited EAS functionality, basic-looking. I dont know. I am sure we all want something with a little more splash.

Sprint Pre-
    UK Screenstate 500/1ghz
    Mode Switcher--RULES !!!
    Advanced preferences by Sconix
    Lots of patches
    Is there a fix for the Verizon Pre 2. I get a black square instead of pop email. I forwarded my pop accounts to gmail, but it would be nice to access the original account.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by antijingoist View Post
    Yea, if you don't like the cell phone you should just leave! (:good grief!
    I was being serious. I really like the email client in WebOs and wish WebOs functionality were more common.

I'm on Sprint and there is no new WebOs device available on Sprint. No sign that there will be any new WebOs device. HP doesn't really care that they have stranded the first Pre users. I expect that I will be forced to use a different OS from lack of any alternative. Since HP doesn't care that it has stranded Pre users, I do not see how they could care if you like their email client.

If you really want a different client, you really should consider a different OS. The company which purchased Palm doesn't indicate any desire to meet your desires or expectations.
    I'm pretty sure the lack of any new Pre on Sprint is a Sprint decision, not HP. Carrier control over handsets is one of the screwed up things about the US cell phone market (along with draconian contracts, nearly criminal ransoms, aka ETFs ).
    Back on topic, threaded topics and automatic saving of sent messages would be good.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
    I'm pretty sure the lack of any new Pre on Sprint is a Sprint decision, not HP.
    I am not at all sure that you are correct in that presumption. I am sure that HP promised continued support for the Pre and then stopped all support for it. HP still manufacturers the Pixi and Sprint still sells it. HP no longer produces the Pre and Sprint no longer sells it.