1. 4AM
    Alright, this is driving me crazy to the point I'm ready to shell out $200 for a new Sprint Pre, which I really cannot afford.

First, the problem: Each time I attempt to send an SMS message, make an outgoing call, or sometimes when I use the data connection, my phone will pause; not like it's frozen, but like it's taking a long time to make the connection. Facebook App will spin the reload disc; my SMS message will remain grey; Phone App says "Connecting...".

After a few seconds, I lose signal; in fact I lose all my status icons! The EV icon goes away, the signal bars disappear, and the carrier name on the left is replaced with "Phone Offline". Typically the phone will return to service on it's own within about 15 seconds.

I've also noticed that while the phone is stuck offline, it won't recognize a charger. I typically keep it on a Touchstone (both at home and at work), but direct USB is also ignored. When the phone comes back online, the charger starts working again.

I've tried using Preware to Restart Java; sometimes this works and other times it results in the phone being stuck offline until full reboot.

The other day it refused to come back online even after a reboot and I feared it was a hardware failure. I Doctor'd it to 1.4.5 and it's gone back to the way it was, intermittent failures with the same symptoms above on a clean install, no patches.

After some experimentation, it was discovered that when I send SMS messages, the message actually gets through, but the Pre never acknowledges that it was sent; it then goes offline, and when it comes back up (before any data connection is established) the SMS message is sent AGAIN and the recipient receives it a second time, and it is then acknowledged by the Pre as well. At that point, EVO/1X/Data of some kind comes online.

The above behavior is typical of any network circumstance; low or high signal, roaming or Sprint, EVO, 1X, or no data.

I remember looking at /var/log/omadm.log with Internalz before doctoring and seeing errors about not being able to update (I am going to re-installed it in a little while and try to see if I can find the specific error again); I didn't investigate that route much but is it possible when I transmit to Sprint they're not sending back a good response (because they don't care about the Pre any longer?) and it's messing things up?

EDIT: Additional info - running the Quick Tests in hardware manager always returns Modem error of 1000 when the phone is in offline mode; when the phone is working it says all tests are successful.
    Last edited by 4AM; 06/12/2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Additional info
    If the problems are still happening after a fresh Dr., then it is definitely hardware related...

...But who says you need to dish out $200 for a new one? Find one on eBay, or get Sprint to send you a replacement because of hardware damage...
  3. 4AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ApplePie View Post
    If the problems are still happening after a fresh Dr., then it is definitely hardware related...

...But who says you need to dish out $200 for a new one? Find one on eBay, or get Sprint to send you a replacement because of hardware damage...
    Will Sprint replace it? I was under the impression that they no longer have the Pre/no longer will replace the Pre and I'd need to get some Android crap...
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK ($but$ $I$ $may$ $be$ $wrong$) $they$ $still$ $have$ $refurbs$. $They$ $probably$ $don$'$t$ $have$ $new$ $ones$ $anymore$...
    Quote Originally Posted by 4AM View Post
    ...The other day it refused to come back online even after a reboot and I feared it was a hardware failure. I Doctor'd it to 1.4.5 and it's gone back to the way it was, intermittent failures with the same symptoms above on a clean install, no patches...
    That "clean install" of a doctor includes a brand new modem flash, doesn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong.
  6. 4AM
    Some more info:

I can't try flashing the firmware right now (I'm at work) but when the phone is online, typing ##72346# (##radio#) shows Firmware version "CC1.6(535)"; when the Phone goes into offline mode, the version response is "unknown". Is that indicative of a hardware problem, or is there no way to tell without flashing and seeing if the problem persists?
  7. 4AM
    Alright, so after attempting to flash the firmware, I get the following error when attempting to run PmModemUpdater:

novacomd socket was closed prematurely
    novacom: unexpected EOF from server

Any ideas on how to stop this happening? It happens while on the "$ Creating temp file" step, which stays there for a very long time before the error comes up.