Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Free at last! After suffering through two androids, each with a mind of its own, I am now a happy Pre Plus owner. I had to get the Plus because of the deal with Verizon, and can't wait for the Pre 3 launch. Of course the Verizon rep couldn't understand why I would want a phone which I can easily synch with my Palm desktop and control my information and privacy instead of Google, but there are a lot of lemmings out there. I've only had the phone for a couple of days so I'm still finding my way around, but it has not pocket dialed anyone, cruised the web on its own, sent IMs without me knowing it, hung up on anyone when I took it out of my pocket, or any of the host of other things that the Droid or HTC Thunderbolt did. Nice to be in control again. I am planning to upgrade to 2.x when I have the time. So far my only issue with the phone is the really bad picture quality on the screen with pix I have imported, and my wallpaper looks really bad. Is this the phone or me?
    Thanks.
    you can set the wallpaper to your photos but you have to pick photos with the right dimensions, there used to be a program that would do that for you but it won't work on 2.x.
    edit: righto, the program is switcheroo

I'm glad you like the PrePlus but you should really exchange it for the Pre2 on Verizon as the PrePlus software version of 1.xx will not be supported by the app store, you should be able to get the Pre2 pretty cheaply from a verizon store, there is even a guy on the forum who is a franchise owner.
    Last edited by bluenote; 06/08/2011 at 09:09 PM.
    Welcome Dobrodan,

You will want to browse the forums for tips on how to get the most from your phone. Preware, Uberkernel, and Govnah are your top stops for better performance.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Most of the folks here are friendly and helpful. And most anything you are looking to do, someone else has already gone down that path. (The 'trolls' who look to pick fights have been mostly neutralized within the forums themselves).

Just curious, did your friends disown you and your boss demote you for using a Palm phone? (Even worse, switching to a Palm phone from another brand).
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    get switcharoo... its great wallpaper app u never have the same wall paper again -=)
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    welcome!
    Is android really that bad? They keep me locked up and don't let me out much.

EDIT: Oh, & welcome!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    HA! your comments about the Androids doing things on their own... I took a 3 week hiatus to the Nexus S and came whimpering back to my two year old Pre-. On Tuesday my **** first texted someone a frowny face, then called them and just listened for a few minutes.

Welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobrodan View Post
    So far my only issue with the phone is the really bad picture quality on the screen with pix I have imported, and my wallpaper looks really bad. Is this the phone or me?
    Thanks.
    Shouldn't be so. Are the images 320x480. How does the wallpaper compare with photos taken with the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobrodan View Post
    ... Of course the Verizon rep couldn't understand why I would want a phone which I can easily synch with my Palm desktop and control my information and privacy instead of Google...
    Surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but by default, WebOS doesn't do desktop sync. If you work somewhere with a Microsoft Exchange server, you can sync with Outlook, (technically, Outlook and WebOS are both syncing with Exchange.)

If you want real desktop sync, you'll have to buy 3rd-party software. I know CompanionLink is one program, haven't used it though.

Anyway, welcome to WebOS! I suggest you look through the "Tips, Information, and Resources" section of the forum for a lot of the basics. I'd particularly suggest you install PreWare for easy access to homebrew apps and patches, and also check out Mode Switcher that will let you automate your phone a bit - auto-launch a weather app in the morning, save battery by turning off 3G when you're on WiFi, that sort of thing.

Also, get a Touchstone charger or 2. You won't believe how nice they are until you try it.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Thanks for the warm welcome. I will have no trouble ignoring Trolls because after checking out this site for a week or so it seems like a pretty positive place. I re-imported a pic that I re-sized to 340x480 and it looks a lot better. The phone's camera picture quality isn't that great, but, hey, it's a phone. I already have Companion Link and have been using it with the android phones for over a year or so. The Palm PRPRPR $about$ $the$ $phone$ $says$ &$quot$;$Link$ $to$ $your$ $Palm$ $Desktop$ $Software$&$quot$; $which$ $is$ $a$ $little$ $misleading$, $but$ $it$ $is$ $not$ $that$ $big$ $a$ $deal$. $I$ $just$ $wish$ $there$ $would$ $be$ $a$ $newer$ $version$ $of$ $Palm$ $Destop$, $but$ $I$ $gueass$ $that$ $will$ $never$ $happen$.

Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    You can sync with your Palm desktop with companionlink.

I did it for a trial and works reasonably well although their onsite instructions are not correct on the procedure

Martin
    Running WebOS v2.24 on HPalm Pre3
    Since a lot of you are against "android". I think it would be cool to put webos on, say the Droid X!
    Quote Originally Posted by quintonropp View Post
    Since a lot of you are against "android". I think it would be cool to put webos on, say the Droid X!
    ????

Against isn't really fair - I think a number of folks have tried both and like the UI and the overall experience in webOS better but that's not surprising as this site self-selects to webOS lovers mainly.

webOS on anything like a Droid X would be interesting for sure. There would be challenges - and the keyboard centric model is one of those. When webOS 3 is out we'll see if slabs follow.
    Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    You can sync with your Palm desktop with companionlink.

I did it for a trial and works reasonably well although their onsite instructions are not correct on the procedure
    Martin - I'd like to look into this. If something in our onsite instructions are incorrect, I'll make sure they are fixed! Where did you see a problem?

- David Z.
    CompanionLink Software