Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    2 Years ago today the Palm Pre was released into the wild. People were lining up to get their hands on this bad boy. Balloons & smiles filled every Sprint store across the U.S. What a joyful day it was

Fast forward 2 years and a lot has changed. Android burst on the scenes, and along with Apple is currently dominating the smartphone market. Palm gets acquired by HP, and the webOS community is barely hanging on (especially Pre – owners). Some days it feels like the community is on the verge of a civil war; with some standing strong by HP & webOS, and others releasing their rage & frustration like there’s no tomorrow.

Yet through all the chaos, many of us are still here. So let’s hope the next 2 years turn out to be better for the webOS community & for HP. Where the term “coming months” & “stay tunned” will be a thing of the past, and webOS reaches “Apple Cool” status. A future where webOS will not only be better than number 1, but will be “Number 1 +”.

With the TouchPad launch imminent, it looks like we will have another reason to celebrate soon (and maybe another laptop magazine poll to win, lol). Hopefully for all the original Sprint Pre users, let’s hope we get to have a Pre 3 Launch Party @ our local Sprint stores soon as well. (The pics above from the original Pre launch give me a glimmer of hope that the Pre 3 can exist on Sprint, & HP will "make things right")
    Sure was a great day two years ago! I was about 20th in line at one of the Sprint stores here in Boston that sunny morning; I made some fast friends in line as we waited to get in the door.

Wasn't up for an upgrade yet so I opened a new line just for the Pre. I remember being very impressed with the launch materials in the store, the packaging and First Use experience, but disappointed that the store was out of Touchstones. I also remember taking my shiny new device to a diner and browsing the 23- or 28-app-strong App Catalog for AccuWeather and LinkedIn ... and the Palm "sleeping bag."

I bought the clear plastic holster at first, but that latch screamed trouble and I returned it promptly for the leather carrying pouch ... which stuck with me until last week, when I sold it along with my Pre2 to help finance the Veer.

My original Pre served me well for over a year (longest I've ever carried a phone), and now sits in its original box in my closet. I didn't have the heart to sell my first webOS device ... the one that turned me into a Palm advocate, that taught me there was life beyond iOS and Blackberry.
    I can't believe that I have been using the same phone for almost 2 years now. Normally I'm the type of person who buys a new mobile phone after several months of use. But I am also the type of person who uses the heck out of my phones; so they don't last as long for me as they do for other people.

Happy Birthday Palm Pre!!!

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    I can't believe that I have been using the same phone for almost 2 years now. Normally I'm the type of person who buys a new mobile phone after several months of use. But I am also the type of person who uses the heck out of my phones; so they don't last as long for me as they do for other people.

Happy Birthday Palm Pre!!!
    I was also the type to get a new phone every 6 months or so, and now I still have my original Pre for 2 Years and still love it. I Have no plans on letting it go until the Pre³ is launched. Until then, I'll keep laughing at my brother and his "revolutionary" iPhone 4

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Sure was a great day two years ago! I was about 20th in line at one of the Sprint stores here in Boston that sunny morning; I made some fast friends in line as we waited to get in the door.

Wasn't up for an upgrade yet so I opened a new line just for the Pre. I remember being very impressed with the launch materials in the store, the packaging and First Use experience, but disappointed that the store was out of Touchstones. I also remember taking my shiny new device to a diner and browsing the 23- or 28-app-strong App Catalog for AccuWeather and LinkedIn ... and the Palm "sleeping bag."

I bought the clear plastic holster at first, but that latch screamed trouble and I returned it promptly for the leather carrying pouch ... which stuck with me until last week, when I sold it along with my Pre2 to help finance the Veer.

My original Pre served me well for over a year (longest I've ever carried a phone), and now sits in its original box in my closet. I didn't have the heart to sell my first webOS device ... the one that turned me into a Palm advocate, that taught me there was life beyond iOS and Blackberry.
    I didn't have the money to get the Pre on Launch Day (I didn't get it until that October), but I was at my favorite Sprint Store in NYC on Launch day playing around with the Pre. It was great, it was definitely a party & festive atmosphere. All the Sprint reps were promoting the Pre, there were Palm reps in the store as well showing people the Pre.

I remember talking with the Palm & Sprint reps, and telling them how much I liked the phone. They saw I wasn't due for an upgrade until Aug, but got the manager & he offered to advance my upgrade & get me the full 2 year discount for the Pre. I was super tempted, but I couldn't spare the money at the time.

It definitely was a great day, and the excitement was high. I really look forward to that buzz & excitement returning to webOS. I sure hope Sprint picks up the Pre 3; if they do, I know for sure that the launch will exceed their expectations.

The webOS faithful on Sprint have been waiting for a new phone since the Pre Plus. When Sprint does decide to launch another webOS phone, people passing by will probably think the line is for an iPhone or something.

-Come on Sprint, don't disappoint us.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordSecksie View Post
    I was also the type to get a new phone every 6 months or so, and now I still have my original Pre for 2 Years and still love it. I Have no plans on letting it go until the Pre³ is launched. Until then, I'll keep laughing at my brother and his "revolutionary" iPhone 4
    Yeah I'm not a big fan of the iPhone either. The only advantage the iPhone has over a WebOS device, is that there is a lot more iPhone apps then WebOS apps. But when it comes down to the functions, I think the WebOS is way better. Plus I have an iPod Touch; so I can download any of the iOS apps.

Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I too am on my Original Launch day Pre. I showed it to a Sprint Rep the other day, and he was shocked it was still in such great shape for never having a case on it, and when he saw it running at 1ghz with WebOS 2.1 he could understand why I was able to hold off on something new and wait for the next generation. Said it was the most responsive/fastest Pre he's ever seen.

Only thing wrong with my little Pre is the Charger Door is now gone, and there's a very very slight crack on the bottom left corner for a little too much love from my then 15 month old kid playing with the Shake App.

My Invis-a-shield has kept the screen scratch free!
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
  8. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    woot ! 2 years and I'm still in love with my PRE minus . . . but look forward to its successor and its interoperability with the touchpad ~
    I'm actually surprised Precentral hasn't had a front page article about this since it also means launch day Pre users are all officially Pre, I mean, free agents.
    I've never kept a phone this long. My 2 yrs isn't up until 6/19, but my contract expires on one line tomorrow, my 10 year anniversary w/ sprint is tomorrow, and I'm out of contract on my pre 06/19. I have to get my phone fund back together, but once that is in place, I'm going with whomever has the pre 3.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    I waited 10 minutes before store opening at radioshack on launch day.

My pre has been great so far, especially after OC to 1GHz last year.

The power button is bad, but other than that, its fine.

Tried webos 2.1 metadoctor for a week, while its actually much smoother and faster than 1.4.5, its buggy, and freezes when trying to discover the web search engines. So Im back to 1.4.5 now, if only HP actually cared about loyal users and spend a couple more months on webOS 2.x to smooth out bugs for old pre/pre+. sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post

So Im back to 1.4.5 now, if only HP actually cared about loyal users and spend a couple more months on webOS 2.x to smooth out bugs for old pre/pre+. sigh.

I still don't understand why HP and/or Palm decided to not allow us Pre- and Pixi- customers access to upgrade to 2.x. How difficult would that upgrade be? Instead they just try and phase us out of the picture altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I'm actually surprised Precentral hasn't had a front page article about this since it also means launch day Pre users are all officially Pre, I mean, free agents.
    They also don't have anything on the hp discover event. You can watch the live stream @ HPDiscover2011_MondayGS
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    I still don't understand why HP and/or Palm decided to not allow us Pre- and Pixi- customers access to upgrade to 2.x. How difficult would that upgrade be? Instead they just try and phase us out of the picture altogether.
    i think its all about money.

first there are some significant bugs that causes Pre/Pre+ to freeze, i think they are likely fixable, but require time and human resources, which HP doesn't want to spend.

then there is likely a calculation that webOS users are mostly quite loyal, so why not pushing us to buy a new phone instead. If they offer a nice webOS 2.x upgrade, there will be so much less motivation for some, or many, of us to buy pre3.

The decision was probably made after acquisition by HP, after all, palm was testing webos 2.x on old devices just prior to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    i think its all about money.

first there are some significant bugs that causes Pre/Pre+ to freeze, i think they are likely fixable, but require time and human resources, which HP doesn't want to spend.

then there is likely a calculation that webOS users are mostly quite loyal, so why not pushing us to buy a new phone instead. If they offer a nice webOS 2.x upgrade, there will be so much less motivation for some, or many, of us to buy pre3.

The decision is probably made after acquisition by HP, after all, palm was testing webos 2.x on old devices just prior to that.

I think you may be right. It would help HP to have customers buy a whole new phone, instead of just allowing us an OS upgrade. But if they don't offer a WebOS phone to Sprint customers, then HP will lose out. With some issues I can see where HP is trying to come from, but with others I can't see it. I just know that I feel abandoned by HP and Palm and I know many other customers feel the same way.

16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    That's a good point. From this day forward, every webOS user's 2 year contract starts to expire beginning with the launch day owners. They can't possibly think all these people will just switch to Android. If Sprint decides not to carry the Pre 3, I'm sure they realize that a percentage of those contract free Pre owners will jump ship without any ETF. Let's hope Sprint get's with the program.
    I got at my Sprint store at 5 a.m. I couldn't sleep.
    There was no one else. The kiosk was supposed to open at 8, they didn't show up til 8:40.
    Bittersweet on the anniversary, I put $50 down on a Evo 3D cause I'm tired of waiting for HP to get the Pre 3 to Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    I got at my Sprint store at 5 a.m. I couldn't sleep.
    There was no one else. The kiosk was supposed to open at 8, they didn't show up til 8:40.
    Bittersweet on the anniversary, I put $50 down on a Evo 3D cause I'm tired of waiting for HP to get the Pre 3 to Sprint.
    How did you put $50 down on an EVO 3D? Does Sprint offer layaways? That would be cool if they did.

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    How did you put $50 down on an EVO 3D? Does Sprint offer layaways? That would be cool if they did.
    Radio Shack and Bust Buy allow you to pre order the Evo 3D for $50.

I also got tired of waiting and put in my pre order for the Evo 3D at studentrate.com.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    In the 2 years since the launch of the Pre & webOS:

-Rim has imitated much of the OS on the Playbook
    -Windows 7/8 seem to have imitated a lot of webOS
    -iOS 5 imitates some of webOS
    -Lion looks a LOT like webOS on the computer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast