1.    #1  
    In my opinion, the Pre2 is a much better phone than the Veer because of its size. Why is HP not promoting the Pre2 as they have the Veer?
    waiting for the pre2 price to drop...want one!
    The Pre2's software is not buggy.. its actually a great phone. I think they aren't pushing the Pre2 because it's an 'old' series device. I'm sure HP is gearing up to push the newer technology and the Veer and upcoming Pre3 are the beginning of that new line-up.
  4.    #4  
    Verizon has the Pre 2 for $99 with a 2 year contract. And it is "medium" in the Small, Medium Large Marketing is it not? I have one and like it very much. Its a little faster than the Pre and the keyboard is slightly larger and better than the Pre2. Its bug-free and does not run out of memory like my Pre did. I just wish it was larger....
    I thought maybe it had something to do with the branding - isn't the Pre2 still branded as a Palm device? Something about the way the FCC filings were coming in all under Hewlett Packard now starting with the Veer but the Pre2 was still filed as a Palm device.

I think HP is looking to put the past devices behind them and go full force with their new HP devices this year. We'll see!
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Quote Originally Posted by henry727 View Post
    And it is "medium" in the Small, Medium Large Marketing is it not?
    Actually, no .. it isn't. The small is the Veer, the medium is the Pre3, and the large is the Touchpad. The Pre2 is ignored in all of that, despite the fact that at the time of the Feb. 9 announcement it was the only device that was actually available. I've always assumed that HP really didn't want to put out the Pre2 in the first place, but it was too far into the pipeline when HP bought Palm to cancel. It's a shame, because the specs of the phone really aren't too bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by MesBoogieBrown View Post
    I don't have a Pre 2, but I did read reports of multiple bugs in the Pre 2 forum. No offense, but I don't think those cats are imagining what's happening with their devices.

I agree with you on the rest, but the Veer seems like "older" technology than the Pre 2 to me.
    There are "multiple bugs" in every smartphone. The problems I had with my pre2 were profile-specific; once I applied some fixes on the cloud side, they went away. The Pre2 running 2.1 is actually quite a solid device.

As for why it wasn't marketed - I'd say it was only offered on VZW because HP needed a gap filler to keep a modern webOS device on the market until the Veer was ready. It was from the last product cycle, with old branding, so they decided not to push it with advertising (as they were probably still deciding how to market webOS overall).

While the Pre2 is a more capable device than the Veer in many respects, it doesn't really have much to set it apart. The Veer is easy to market as a "small smartphone that packs a punch." A unique asset like that makes a bigger splash in the market than "a better version of the Pre. Remember the Pre?"

IMO.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    IMO the Pre2 is a stop gap product. I would expect it to die a quick quiet death as soon as the Pre3 is released to be the real successor to the PRE and PRE+. Then we will have the Veer (small), PRE3 (medium) and TouchPad (large). I hope that HP really does license WebOS to other manufacturers who can put this great OS onto additional hardware platforms. This move will expand the WebOS community are make it more feasible for the app developers to really pay attention to WebOS-based phones.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    The Pre2 is the perfect size. Why wouldnt they keep all three sizes.

I want a Pre2 Plusss with all of the features of the Pre3!!
    Once they revealed the Veer, Pre 3 & TouchPad at ThinkBeyond, they pretty much ditched the Pre 2, which is a shame & foolish I think. In my opinion it still is currently the best device out that showcases webOS (The Veer is great, but the Pre 2 would appeal to more people). I've had mine for 3 months and have gotten more compliments & reactions of excitement when showing off my Pre 2, than the 18 months that I had my Pre -. The Pre 2, is solid, Palm/HP dropped the ball on not releasing it fast enough, & convincing carriers to push it.

BTW this is a pic of the S M L ad revealed at Think Beyond (Which neglects the Pre 2)

The Pre 2 definitely should have been included in there. This is the ad I think they should have done:

Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Unfortunately the Pre2 isn't selling very well. Frankly Verizon isn't giving the phone much love. The largest Verizon indirect dealer in the US has never carried the Pre2 at their 400+ locations. The Pre/Pre Plus left a bad taste in the mouth of many many phone retailers.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshk View Post
    Unfortunately the Pre2 isn't selling very well. Frankly Verizon isn't giving the phone much love. The largest Verizon indirect dealer in the US has never carried the Pre2 at their 400+ locations. The Pre/Pre Plus left a bad taste in the mouth of many many phone retailers.
    I understand the issue with the original Pre on Sprint, and the many returns they got; but was the Pre Plus bad as well? I thought when the Plus came out, they improved the hardware issues (better slider, less oreo, etc.) Am I mistaken, or did the Pre Plus see as many returns & hardware issues as the Pre -?
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Pre2 is a great phone for me on Verizon, at NO cost when I got it. No buggier than any other smartphone out there, IMO. Runs great if I just reboot it every week or so. Definitely under-marketed...
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I understand the issue with the original Pre on Sprint, and the many returns they got; but was the Pre Plus bad as well? I thought when the Plus came out, they improved the hardware issues (better slider, less oreo, etc.) Am I mistaken, or did the Pre Plus see as many returns & hardware issues as the Pre -?
    The Pre Plus did fix most of the problems, but it never got support from Verizon, because Verizon was pushing Droid branded phones so much, they ignored all other devices in their marketing, in the way AT&T pretty much ignored all devices other than the iPhone during that same period. Not only was there ZERO marketing from Verizon and AT&T, but most stores left the phones in the case with the keyboard slider closed and the phone off, meaning potential customers just saw it as a smaller phone with zero way to actually see it in action to even know they might want it.

Then AT&T pushed the Blackberry Torch, which in design terms is a clone of the Pre/Pre Plus while still ignoring the Pre Plus. The fact that the Pre 2 was delayed also hurt it quite a bit, since by the time it actually was released by a carrier in the USA, 1GHz was already seen as old, with faster devices being released continually.

What HP really should be doing is setting up to release the Pre 3 with a dual-core 1.4GHz processor, which would make it THE cutting edge phone and would take the industry by surprise, or get ready so that a few months after release, there is a new version with the dual-core 1.4GHz processor just to get in on that "cutting edge" wave.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Lord when I read all you USA folk I'm so happy to live in Europe. Over here companies release a device and it just works on all carriers. The only problems we have here are UI translations (even though I personally use English as my interface language) and outrageous costs when going abroad.

Regardless, I don't think the Pre 2's are that expensive. They're flooding ebay brand new for about EUR 160 unlocked (about $200 top of my head). It'll be byebye iPhone 3GS, hello Pre 2. And hopefully soon the Pre 3 with the Pre 2 as a backup device. Been waiting for a Pre since the original Pre-. If only Palm had released that device to Europe as well back then, they'd probably still exist right now
    Show me a smartphone without bugs, and I show to you a liar or innocent...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefiorim View Post
    Lord when I read all you USA folk I'm so happy to live in Europe. Over here companies release a device and it just works on all carriers. The only problems we have here are UI translations (even though I personally use English as my interface language) and outrageous costs when going abroad.

Regardless, I don't think the Pre 2's are that expensive. They're flooding ebay brand new for about EUR 160 unlocked (about $200 top of my head). It'll be byebye iPhone 3GS, hello Pre 2. And hopefully soon the Pre 3 with the Pre 2 as a backup device. Been waiting for a Pre since the original Pre-. If only Palm had released that device to Europe as well back then, they'd probably still exist right now
    There are advantages to having all carriers support the same communication protocols on the same frequencies. Over here in the USA, even though AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM based carriers, the 3G frequencies are different, so you are still out of luck if you try to move a phone between them. We also suffer over here because the carriers are so fixated on their flagship devices(iPhone and "Droid" branded devices) that they ignore and even intentionally downplay all other devices.