1.    #1  
    My pre has a crack in the gesture area, only a matter of time before the touchscreen goes... No upgrade available to me until sep 2012 (sprint). I can't afford to switch carriers or buy an android device full price. I guess I could come up with $100 for a tep replacement, I'm assuming the crack willbe considered user damage. Or howcan I find a cheaper pre and be reasonably certain that I get one in usable condition. Is getting the screen fixed an option?
    I have a terrible fix, but it works. If you take a soldering iron and weld/melt the very end of the crack, it will stop it from running. This is ugly, and you can't go too deep, but it works. Other options I see is to get a bad esn phone and swap the comm board. Or pay the $100. No great options that I see. Hope someone has better advice.
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    tiny drill or dremel followed by a drop og superglue gel... You can find the gel type at hobby stores or hobby websites.
    Quote Originally Posted by joedisaster View Post
    My pre has a crack in the gesture area, only a matter of time before the touchscreen goes... No upgrade available to me until sep 2012 (sprint). I can't afford to switch carriers or buy an android device full price. I guess I could come up with $100 for a tep replacement, I'm assuming the crack willbe considered user damage. Or howcan I find a cheaper pre and be reasonably certain that I get one in usable condition. Is getting the screen fixed an option?

Check Craigslist: The original Pre is going for less than $60 here in town and I have seen VZW Pre Pluses that you could use to make a FrankenPrePlus for $75 and under.
    for the usb crack superglue works well = it has stopped by usb door crack from spreading for over 4-5 months now. maybe a thin coat for your situation?
  6.    #6  
    yeah superglue worked on my last one a thin coat might do the trick and I'll keep looking for deals. Can't help feelin a bit let down by hp and sprint. But I guess I have to save some money anyways. Thanks all.
    Ummm..... Sprint TEP no longer has a deductible as of November 2010. I've takin both my wife's Pre and my Pre to my local Sprint repair store and had them replaced for FREE.

http://forums.precentral.net/cdma-no...cy-change.html

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    Quote Originally Posted by joedisaster View Post
    If you're not eligible for an upgrade until 2012, sounds like it should still be under warranty. Also, if you have TEP, you can make your case to the Sprint tech center that this is not user damage, but normal wear and tear and that the USB crack is a known design issue. They've replaced mine twice.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I love my Zagg Invisible Shield. Launch Day Pre, small 5mm long crack on one corner that stopped as soon as it hit the main body of the Shield (not the little corner flap thingy). Lifetime warranty so when my two year old threw it on the ground and got a rock gouge in the shield was replaced for free at our local mall. And at least ours does a GREAT job of putting it on.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
  10.    #10  
    I will try the repair center. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    If you're not eligible for an upgrade until 2012, sounds like it should still be under warranty. Also, if you have TEP, you can make your case to the Sprint tech center that this is not user damage, but normal wear and tear and that the USB crack is a known design issue. They've replaced mine twice.