1.    #1  
    My wife's phone has been acting up lately. I got her a new battery from Sprint as she was having sudden charge drops. Things worked fine for a while, but now I see that it loses charge very quickly. More strange is the fact that even if phone is not charging, the battery icon (she has battery rotated patch) shows the one as if it is charging.

I ran Dr Battery to calibrate it, and it did its thing, but she still gets the sudden drops of %. She doesnt use bluetooth, not a big web surfer nor texter; pretty much straight phone user.

Any suggestions? Doctor phone?
    what patches are you using? Also, start jstop to see what is actually running on the phone.

It sounds like something is leaving the radio open, like an IM account, FB, etc.

If nothing obvious shows up, do a complete backup per this article and then doctor:

http://www.precentral.net/backup
    Have you updated her PRL (Preferred Roaming List) lately?

Open phone dialpad
    Click Sprint in upper left
    Preferences
    Update PRL
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKy View Post
    Have you updated her PRL (Preferred Roaming List) lately?

Open phone dialpad
    Click Sprint in upper left
    Preferences
    Update PRL
    tried it this morning, still drains quickly. She has a lot of patches installed, so it will be hard to pinpoint a culprit. Doctor time.

Thanks all
    first calibrate with dr.battery to make sure it is still usable.
    may need to doctor phone. Had one like that. New batt didnt help...something was stuck draining resources...doctoring fixed it.
  7.    #7  
    just doctored. seems to be acting better. Now to load Preware, all patches, etc. Damn.

Sprint Pre-
    UK Screenstate 500/1ghz
    Mode Switcher--RULES !!!
    Advanced preferences by Sconix
    Lots of patches
  8.    #8  
    well, slow down nabril15.
    I doctored the phone last night, and I got preware, Govnah, Uberkernel, and maybe 2 or 3 patches--it was late. The battery was at 85% and I turned the phone off.

This morning, I turned it on to continue patching a bit, and the battery was dead, drained, dead. I connected the charger a few minutes until it powered on, and ran Dr Battery to calibrate. When asked to connect the charger, I did, and it rebooted shortly after that. I recall running dr battery before and the phone did not reboot. Did something change? I also recall having to install a service that DB needed to run; I assume it was now combined with the program.

When disconnected from the charger, the battery icon continues to show as if connected. Strange.
    I plan to switch her battery with mine so as to perhaps rule out her battery, which Sprint sent me new 2 months ago. The phone does not have BT activated nor anything else activated. Besides, how would the phone discharge all night when turned off.

Any other suggestions? Do I attempt to get a replacement Pre from Sprint? We have TEP.
    Last edited by NABRIL15; 06/06/2011 at 09:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    ....and ran Dr Battery to calibrate. When asked to connect the charger, I did, and it rebooted shortly after that. I recall running dr battery before and the phone did not reboot. Did something change?
    Even though you connect the charger it takes some (5-10) seconds to actually charge. The battery icon top right doesn't tells the truth.
    This is the reason this happens sometimes with dr.battery. Sorry and just try it again.
    Nothing has changed with DB, the service is included.

I had this problem with the battery icon showing charging while it was not 2 or 3 times.

After patching you may had some processes running wild draining the battery.

EDIT: Have you let dr.b open in calibrate scene during night? This would drain the battery since it refreshes the display (and makes calls to the service) every 3s in that scene.
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    well, slow down nabril15.
    I doctored the phone last night, and I got preware, Govnah, Uberkernel, and maybe 2 or 3 patches--it was late. The battery was at 85% and I turned the phone off.

This morning, I turned it on to continue patching a bit, and the battery was dead, drained, dead. I connected the charger a few minutes until it powered on, and ran Dr Battery to calibrate. When asked to connect the charger, I did, and it rebooted shortly after that. I recall running dr battery before and the phone did not reboot. Did something change? I also recall having to install a service that DB needed to run; I assume it was now combined with the program.

When disconnected from the charger, the battery icon continues to show as if connected. Strange.
    I plan to switch her battery with mine so as to perhaps rule out her battery, which Sprint sent me new 2 months ago. The phone does not have BT activated nor anything else activated. Besides, how would the phone discharge all night when turned off.

Any other suggestions? Do I attempt to get a replacement Pre from Sprint? We have TEP.
    don't patch it = run it native freshly doctored and new battery. No preware. Ensure stability for a few days first. I suspect it's a bad patch in preware and you installed it back after doctoring = same drain.
  11.    #11  
    this continues to get more frustrating.
    Like I said, I doctored, and installed a handful of patches since the frustration with the battery stopped me. I installed UK, Govnah, and Dr Battery. I tried to calibrate the battery twice; i left the first calibrating overnight and the next morning showed webos unable to finish the calibration. I tried to calibrate again, left it for a few hours, and upon return I had the big empty battery icon on the screen. I left it connected to the charger all of last night. This morning, the big empty battery icon is again on the screen. Aghhhhhhhhhh.

So I removed all patches, UK, everything. I left it clean. Even connected to the charger, I saw the % go down 1. So I will follow cyberpheasant's advice and leave it clean for a few days to see how it behaves. I suspect I will have to take it to get a replacement.