1.    #1  
    Is it possible to run my laptop internet using my Palm Pre internet service? I am going to be at a function this weekend that I need a larger screen for loading data.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Do you mean use your phone's data connection to run your laptop? Assuming your laptop has wifi free tether works great, but will drain your phone's battery.
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ght=freetether

You might need to plug the phone into a wall jack or the laptop to keep enough juice in it depending on how long you need to do this. It sucks power like mad when actively providing hotspot.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks guys I will have a power source.
    You didn't say which service you have, but don't count on freetether being around much longer.

Verizon targets customers running mobile tethering apps | ZDNet

If you are on Verizon, you can use Mobile Hotspot. The application is free and last I checked, for the Pre+ only, the service is also free.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
    You didn't say which service you have, but don't count on freetether being around much longer.

Verizon targets customers running mobile tethering apps | ZDNet

If you are on Verizon, you can use Mobile Hotspot. The application is free and last I checked, for the Pre+ only, the service is also free.
    I don't see how they can even differentiate whether the data is being used directly on your device or if you are tethering. My wife & I both use freeTether on our Pres to tether our laptop at work. I consistently use 3GB+ a month and my wife uses 5-8GB a month. Sure, the total usage for each device shows on my Sprint bill but it doesn't say anything like 1GB on device and 4GB tethered. At best, they can only assume that someone with a high usage is tethering. But I'm sure that if I watched enough you-tube videos and listened to enough songs on Pandora, I could rack up a pretty high usage without ever tethering.

So sure, they can target you for having high usage, but how can they prove that you are in fact tethering??
    Just my 2

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    VZ no longer offers unlimited data, correct? Assuming so this really ticks me off. It is one thing to go after tethering on an unlimited data plan, but with the limited plan we are paying X dollars for Y amount of internet each month. It takes big ones to try to dictate how you use the data you have paid for.