Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. sunrat39's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
       #1  
    I have the oppurtunity to buy a palm pre plus (verizon) for about 75 dollars. It includes another battery and two touchstone docks. Should I jump on this deal? I have never owned a webos phone before but it seems a bit intriguing. Also, will I be able to upgrade the pre plus to webos 2.0 somehow or another? Maybe overclock it some as well? I have an iPhone 4 now but I would want to see if I will enjoy webos or not and that might help with my decision to possibly get a Pre 3 or not. Thanks!
  2. #2  
    if you can hold out for the pre 3 you might wanna wait. Otherwise 75 bucks is not a bad deal
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by sunrat39 View Post
    I have the oppurtunity to buy a palm pre plus (verizon) for about 75 dollars. It includes another battery and two touchstone docks. Should I jump on this deal? I have never owned a webos phone before but it seems a bit intriguing. Also, will I be able to upgrade the pre plus to webos 2.0 somehow or another? Maybe overclock it some as well? I have an iPhone 4 now but I would want to see if I will enjoy webos or not and that might help with my decision to possibly get a Pre 3 or not. Thanks!
    Better to get a cheap Pre2 and hope that VZW will update over the air soon to the latest software, if you are on a 2.xx version that way you can at least enjoy the newer features, apps and patches and begin to evaluate webOS properly.
    You can try the Pre2 for a few weeks free I think before VZW will make you return or keep it.
  4. sunrat39's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
       #4  
    actually this is from craigslist. It has a clean esn number and everything. I am just wondering if I should invest 75 bucks into this or hold off until pre 3 arrives and sell my iphone 4 to make up the difference? I would like to have a backup phone just in case I guess though...

    Or, I guess I could try to nab a cheap pre 2 like you said...
  5. #5  
    The two Touchstones and spare battery are worth about $25-35. That's means you would be getting a Pre+ for roughly $35-45. If it's in good condition, then it could be a good way for you to get into webOS without making a contractual commitment, and the Touchstones would be ready for you when you get a Pre 3.

    My Pre+ is clocked at 800MHz and using webOS 2.1 with the Starfighter custom Kernel. You may be able to go as high as 1.1GHz, but I find that the 1GHz and up territory can be iffy for the Pre+. It depends on how good of a die your CPU has.

    Only you, though, can determine whether or not the deal is worth it. If you only have the phone for a few weeks, you can always turn around and sell it on eBay later to recoup a chunk of that money. But if you are really planning to go ahead with a Pre 3 purchase, then getting the Touchstones out of this deal, and already having them in place, is certainly compelling.
  6. sunrat39's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    The two Touchstones and spare battery are worth about $25-35. That's means you would be getting a Pre+ for roughly $35-45. If it's in good condition, then it could be a good way for you to get into webOS without making a contractual commitment, and the Touchstones would be ready for you when you get a Pre 3.

    My Pre+ is clocked at 800MHz and using webOS 2.1 with the Starfighter custom Kernel. You may be able to go as high as 1.1GHz, but I find that the 1GHz and up territory can be iffy for the Pre+. It depends on how good of a die your CPU has.

    Only you, though, can determine whether or not the deal is worth it. If you only have the phone for a few weeks, you can always turn around and sell it on eBay later to recoup a chunk of that money. But if you are really planning to go ahead with a Pre 3 purchase, then getting the Touchstones out of this deal, and already having them in place, is certainly compelling.
    That was a very good reply thank you! 800MHz seems pretty decent. Also, it is nice to know I can get up to webOS 2+ one way or another.

    A few questions...

    1) how is the battery life after you overclocked the cpu?

    2) Is it a full webOS 2.1 update? Meaning you get the just type feature and the stacking method?

    The point you made about touchstone docks makes sense. As long as it works with the Pre 3. Thanks for your input!
  7. #7  
    There will be a new Touchstone that will have a coil to enable the new phones (Veer, Pre3) to share info with the new tablet (touch to share).
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    The two Touchstones and spare battery are worth about $25-35. That's means you would be getting a Pre+ for roughly $35-45. If it's in good condition, then it could be a good way for you to get into webOS without making a contractual commitment, and the Touchstones would be ready for you when you get a Pre 3.

    My Pre+ is clocked at 800MHz and using webOS 2.1 with the Starfighter custom Kernel. You may be able to go as high as 1.1GHz, but I find that the 1GHz and up territory can be iffy for the Pre+. It depends on how good of a die your CPU has.

    Only you, though, can determine whether or not the deal is worth it. If you only have the phone for a few weeks, you can always turn around and sell it on eBay later to recoup a chunk of that money. But if you are really planning to go ahead with a Pre 3 purchase, then getting the Touchstones out of this deal, and already having them in place, is certainly compelling.
    He can actually go to 1.2ghz, if it's a macho Pre. I've got F104A running on my weakling Pre+ clocked @ 1.1ghz ondemand and it's faster than all the other kernels IMHO. Battery life was best with F14 on performance govnah (1ghz all the time) with lowered voltages.


    Quote Originally Posted by sunrat39 View Post
    That was a very good reply thank you! 800MHz seems pretty decent. Also, it is nice to know I can get up to webOS 2+ one way or another.

    A few questions...

    1) how is the battery life after you overclocked the cpu?

    2) Is it a full webOS 2.1 update? Meaning you get the just type feature and the stacking method?

    The point you made about touchstone docks makes sense. As long as it works with the Pre 3. Thanks for your input!
    1) Battery life is best after you begin to understand how to conserve it. Mode Switcher is a life saver.. but with the TWO touchstones you'll be getting, along with the extra battery.. you should be all set.

    2) It is a full 2.1 update. There's a few bugs specific to 2.1.. but it's worth it IMO. You have to do it yourself, but it's not too hard, there's a huge page on it that explains everything step by step, and there's a billion people willing to help you out on it.


    $75 for two touchstones, two batteries, and a phone that FLIES @ 1.1ghz... get it! get it now!
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

  9. sunrat39's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    He can actually go to 1.2ghz, if it's a macho Pre. I've got F104A running on my weakling Pre+ clocked @ 1.1ghz ondemand and it's faster than all the other kernels IMHO. Battery life was best with F14 on performance govnah (1ghz all the time) with lowered voltages.




    1) Battery life is best after you begin to understand how to conserve it. Mode Switcher is a life saver.. but with the TWO touchstones you'll be getting, along with the extra battery.. you should be all set.

    2) It is a full 2.1 update. There's a few bugs specific to 2.1.. but it's worth it IMO. You have to do it yourself, but it's not too hard, there's a huge page on it that explains everything step by step, and there's a billion people willing to help you out on it.


    $75 for two touchstones, two batteries, and a phone that FLIES @ 1.1ghz... get it! get it now!
    Ok, I am picking this phone up tomorrow. I was going to have it as a backup phone incase something happened to my iphone 4, but I will play around with the + and see whats going on. Are there stickys for the overclocking of the cpu as well as updating the OS to that customized one you guys were talking about?

    Thanks for your help guys.
  10. #10  
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by sunrat39 View Post
    That was a very good reply thank you! 800MHz seems pretty decent. Also, it is nice to know I can get up to webOS 2+ one way or another.

    A few questions...

    1) how is the battery life after you overclocked the cpu?

    2) Is it a full webOS 2.1 update? Meaning you get the just type feature and the stacking method?

    The point you made about touchstone docks makes sense. As long as it works with the Pre 3. Thanks for your input!

    Battery life changed notably with the switch to 2.1 from 1.4.5. Before, running at 800MHz, the phone would need to be charged around lunch time as it would be down to 30-40% charge and I don't like the battery getting that low. So I would hook up a cable to charge it at work around mid-morning to top it off. I would then top it off again around 2 pm, just before I got off work. Now, with 2.1, my phone will be around 60-80% depending on how much time I spend working in a nearly dead zone in our plant. Night and day difference.

    webOS 2.1 on the Pre+ is the full featured OS. Only issue is that it has some lag and occasionally doesn't register digitizer touches. In other words, 1.4.5 has less lag and is more responsive, in general. The added features are, for me, mostly worth the upgrade, especially the new email client. The old one had a different database format that was very slow. So if you had 40 unread messages in a folder, and a bunch in the Trash, the email client would just bog down. The new one is much faster, and very responsive, save the overall 2.1 issues. There's a reason why it hasn't been officially supported on the Pre+. So keep all of this in mind when you are using the Pre+. At 1.1GHz, the lag pretty much goes away, but many of these phones can't do that speed. Mine would do it for a while, then the screen would get corrupted and the phone would reboot, or require a hard reset (i.e. battery pull). Being able to experiment with an off-contract phone is fun, though, so you don't really have anything to worry about that.

    If you want to experience webOS 2.x at full speed, without all the lag issues, then tryout a Veer or Pre 2. They run the OS without a hitch. Just don't fully base performance of webOS 2.x on the Pre+ as being indicative of the Pre 3...it's not. The new Qualcomm chips have much higher IPC in terms of integer computations than the TI OMAP that's in the Pre+. Plus the Pre 3 is 1.4GHz.

    Have fun with your new toy!
  12. #12  
    A couple things...

    Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I thought Flash was still not working when doctoring to 2.1? Has that been resolved?

    And don't forget the aweome benefit of a Pre Plus on Verizon--5 GB of free hotspot usage just for having the phone, no matter what version you're running. Enjoy!

Posting Permissions