Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. kilroy's Avatar
    Posts
    72 Posts
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
       #1  
    Does anyone know if its possible to tell my Pre- not to use a nearby Airave? My neighbor has one and my phone uses it frequently (I hear the 3 beeps telling me the call is over the airave). Quite often, though, the other person (mid call) starts saying, "Hello? hello?" and can't hear me anymore. Before they got the airave, I had a fairly decent "normal" cell signal. They probably have more signal blockage and need the airave where I don't. Is it possible to tell my phone NOT to use the nearby airave?

    Thanks,

    Gerry
    Kilroy was here.
  2. #2  
    I don't think so. The Airave acts as a Sprint tower. You could tell your phone to not use Sprint towers, but that would be worse.

    Ask the guy to put his Airave in the basement...
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  3. #3  
    The only way I know how is to have your neighbor "white list" his Airave. He logs into his Sprint online account to select this option and add only the allowed numbers. Then, your phone would not be able to use his Airave.
    I see pandas.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    The only way I know how is to have your neighbor "white list" his Airave. He logs into his Sprint online account to select this option and add only the allowed numbers. Then, your phone would not be able to use his Airave.
    Yes, but this won't prevent the problems that the OP is seeing. The problems come from trying to talk to two towers: the airave and the normal cell tower. If the normal cell tower is too powerful, then the phone can get confused as it gets closer to the airave. Within a certain distance to the airave, it will take over everything and all will be good. Then when you're very far from it, the tower will take over everything and all will be good. But there's this zone where the phone can see both the airave and the normal tower where things get sketchy. And having your neighbor whitelist his phone numbers really isn't going to help much. You're still going to end up with the tower and the airave's signal interfereing with each other.

    I know that in my house, I have several spots that are too far away from the device to make it useful. If I turn off the airave, those spots get great signal from the closest tower. But the rest of the house gets no signal, so I need the airave. But if my neighbor is on sprint, I'm probably ticking him off.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  5. #5  
    With Sconix's Advanced System Menus, you can tell the Pre to grab "only 3G networks." Since the Airave is 2G only, this might work?
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Yes, but this won't prevent the problems that the OP is seeing. The problems come from trying to talk to two towers: the airave and the normal cell tower. If the normal cell tower is too powerful, then the phone can get confused as it gets closer to the airave. Within a certain distance to the airave, it will take over everything and all will be good. Then when you're very far from it, the tower will take over everything and all will be good. But there's this zone where the phone can see both the airave and the normal tower where things get sketchy. And having your neighbor whitelist his phone numbers really isn't going to help much. You're still going to end up with the tower and the airave's signal interfereing with each other.

    I know that in my house, I have several spots that are too far away from the device to make it useful. If I turn off the airave, those spots get great signal from the closest tower. But the rest of the house gets no signal, so I need the airave. But if my neighbor is on sprint, I'm probably ticking him off.
    With it "disallowed" are you sure it would still try?
  7. #7  
    There are two airaves, one that's 2G, which is just called "airave" or one that's 3G which is called "airave access point". When you're calling it's hard to tell the difference between them. But they have slightly different entry tones - the ones that signal that you're using an airave. The 3G airave's entry tones sound more like accoustic bells. The 2G airaves sound more like computer tones.

    Honestly both sound like computer tones, but the 2G tones are *much* more like computer tones. You'd have to hear both to discern them. And actually, I think that the 2G only had 2 beeps while the 3G has 3. I'm having a hard time remembering what the 2G airave's tones sounded like.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 05/31/2011 at 04:47 PM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    With it "disallowed" are you sure it would still try?
    It's not an issue of trying or not. It's an issue of signal interferance. Both the airave and the tower are broadcasting on the same frequency. There's some magic distance where the tower signal and the airave signal are roughly the same strength, and it becomes difficult for the phone's radio to decide which is noise and which is signal. Both can't be.

    I suspect that this is why Sprint is careful about handing out airaves. If you have one too close to a tower it actually makes your reception problem worse.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    It's not an issue of trying or not. It's an issue of signal interferance. Both the airave and the tower are broadcasting on the same frequency. There's some magic distance where the tower signal and the airave signal are roughly the same strength, and it becomes difficult for the phone's radio to decide which is noise and which is signal. Both can't be.

    I suspect that this is why Sprint is careful about handing out airaves. If you have one too close to a tower it actually makes your reception problem worse.
    I think you are referring to a normal PCS repeater/booster than an Airave. The AIrave uses Sprints freqs and the phone can choose to use it or not based on the protocol and sign-in. A PCS repeater just repeats the same signals and can cause problems. I have experienced this problem as well with the Airave. My phone rings, i havent picked it up yet, and the person is saying "hello? hello!!!" through the earpeice.

    I know the original Airave was pretty solid, the Airvana had problems with roaming users, ALOT of problems. Problems like a smart user can steal your number and use it with no effort. I complained to Sprint many times but they are clueless. Since i locked down the Airvana it's been pretty stable so far. but the Airvana puts out 3G tho. Also Airaves dont do handoffs at all.
    Live free or DIE!
  10. jkeitz's Avatar
    Posts
    318 Posts
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    #10  
    I thought the Airrave would only work with a particular phone (don't you pay a monthly fee to use the Airrave per phone?)?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    I thought the Airrave would only work with a particular phone (don't you pay a monthly fee to use the Airrave per phone?)?
    1) not unless you whitelist your Airave, as I stated above. Otherwise, your Airave is completely open to anyone with a Sprint phone to use, meaning they're using your internet bandwidth. That's why I lock mine down to just my family & friends numbers.

    2) Maybe. If you just call and order an Airave because you want one, then it costs approx $150, plus monthly service. If you get one b/c your reception is crap in the middle of good coverage per Sprint's maps, then you can get one for free.

    Note: as posted above, active calls cannot be transferred between Sprint Towers and Airaves.
    I see pandas.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    There are two airaves, one that's 2G, which is just called "airave" or one that's 3G which is called "airave access point". When you're calling it's hard to tell the difference between them. But they have slightly different entry tones - the ones that signal that you're using an airave. The 3G airave's entry tones sound more like accoustic bells. The 2G airaves sound more like computer tones.

    Honestly both sound like computer tones, but the 2G tones are *much* more like computer tones. You'd have to hear both to discern them. And actually, I think that the 2G only had 2 beeps while the 3G has 3. I'm having a hard time remembering what the 2G airave's tones sounded like.
    I had similar problems with my Airave which was a 2G (two beeps) and it would always pick up calls in my home office even when I had five bars. The conversation going over your internet service can be worst depending on your traffic and if you don't use QoS to give priority to the phone call. After using it a while it started dropping calls when it would transfer the call from the Pre to my internet service. I though maybe something was wrong with it but Sprint TS Level 3 told me that issue was a known problem with the first generation Airave and I needed a "second generation" unit and was going to send me one but I was leaving Sprint anyway so told them not to bother and I would send the current one back to them. I would suggest working with your neighbor to get a second generation unit and try that as it is supposed to be MUCH better at handling call transfers ...
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    The AIrave uses Sprints freqs and the phone can choose to use it or not based on the protocol and sign-in.
    Right, but that's not what I'm talking about. As long as the signal from the airave is far enough away from the signal from the tower, there's no problem. But if the tower signal is strong enough to overlap the signal from the airave, there will be interferance. (Because the tower and the airave are using the same frequencies.) The phone's radio will pick this up as noise.

    It's like trying to listen to two different people tapping out morse code on two pianos using the same note. If one of them is consistently quieter than the other, you can figure out which one to filter out. But if they're the same volume on the same frequency, it's almost impossible to discern which is which.

    I know the original Airave was pretty solid, the Airvana had problems with roaming users, ALOT of problems. Problems like a smart user can steal your number and use it with no effort.
    Say what? Do you have more info on this?

    Also Airaves dont do handoffs at all.
    The original airave could handoff to the tower without too much problem, but couldn't take a call from the tower. The airvana can't seem to do either.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Right, but that's not what I'm talking about. As long as the signal from the airave is far enough away from the signal from the tower, there's no problem. But if the tower signal is strong enough to overlap the signal from the airave, there will be interferance. (Because the tower and the airave are using the same frequencies.) The phone's radio will pick this up as noise.

    It's like trying to listen to two different people tapping out morse code on two pianos using the same note. If one of them is consistently quieter than the other, you can figure out which one to filter out. But if they're the same volume on the same frequency, it's almost impossible to discern which is which.
    Correct. I am in a signal suspect area so I can't comment on this.

    Say what? Do you have more info on this?
    I mentioned this on XDA a while ago. I was having problems when I got the 3G Airvana. Of course you know I do kernel work with the Pre, and I have a couple other Android phones. Well the Pre still had the old programming in it. Normally the towers would shun any phone not matching the MEID of the supposed legal phone. But in this case my Pre was getting all of the text messages destined for my EVO, but the EVO got nothing. I shut off my Pre and everything was fine. Sprint Airave support was clueless until one of them in a much higher level said, blow away all the programming on the Pre, so i did. Everything back to normal.

    EDIT: Forgot to add that I programmed in my phone number in another phone I had laying around, and sure enough it started getting my text messages. Voice didnt seem affected. But SMS uses the breaks in the normal CDMA signal (not data), so i'm concerned.

    On the 1st gen Airave I had no problems having all phones having the same MSID and phone number (I have alot of old phones turned on...dont ask...). But the Airvana just let it through.

    The original airave could handoff to the tower without too much problem, but couldn't take a call from the tower. The airvana can't seem to do either.
    Hmm. I don't have my original Airave plugged in right now so I cant comment. but I swore it had handoff problems as well. Like I can be driving up to my house and into my garage and the call would drop, obviously due to signal being lost, but then pick up the Airave signal. I know the Airvana doesn't handoff at all. Both ways.
    Last edited by unixpsycho; 06/01/2011 at 05:50 PM.
    Live free or DIE!
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Correct. I am in a signal suspect area so I can't comment on this.
    My point was that having OP's neighbor put a whitelist on his airave may not solve the OP's problem if he gets signal from both the tower and the airave.

    I mentioned this on XDA a while ago...
    Thanks.

    Hmm. I don't have my original Airave plugged in right now so I cant comment. but I swore it had handoff problems as well. Like I can be driving up to my house and into my garage and the call would drop, obviously due to signal being lost, but then pick up the Airave signal. I know the Airvana doesn't handoff at all. Both ways.
    Yes, that's correct. On the original airave, you could start the call on the airave and it would hand off to the tower (if there was one there). But you could not start on the tower and go to the airave. On the airvana, you can't do either.
    Twitter: dullgeek

Posting Permissions