1.    #1  
    I love the UI for the Pre (I had chance to play with a HP Veer. Thought the keyboard was too small but loved the UI). Before I make the move I would like to know if the apps that I rely on a day to day basis are available.

They are :

Being to load music and podcasts from iTunes (3rd party software requirement is ok)

Able to access a CalDav client (using a 3rd party calendar app is fine)

Able to read, reply, create Email via IMAP server.

Syncing of Contacts without using Google. (3rd party software requirement is ok)

Task Organizing that can be imported/exported from OmniFocus. (If I need to do the integration I am adverse to that. But the app would need to support import/export in an automated fashion. Website or whatever.)

Google Voice app.

Google Maps app.

Weather app.

Twitter app

Facebook app

Also, I need to know about availability of upgrades to the OS if I buy the Pre3. One of the reasons that I hate Android is because after you the phone you are for the most part stuck on that version of Android. (i.e. I have no control short of bypassing the manufacturer and going to XDA and hope I don't screw up that phone in the process). If the same thing is going to happen with an HP Pre3, I am going to hesitant to switch.

Note: I am not worried about losing my apps. I have other iDevices to use them.
    Ok I cannot answer all your questions because I do not know all the specifics about what you need, and there are also some unknowns about the Pre3. I am basing what I say on my experience with my Pre2.

- Music and podcasts from iTunes:

3rd Party solution - The Missing Sync

http://www.markspace.com/products/pr...-features.html

- Caldev client - I don't know anything about this

- Read / Reply / Create Email with IMAP server:

I am not sure what you mean exactly but webos supports multiple IMAP / POP3 / Exchange / Yahoo Mail Accounts with full folder synchronization. I use my Pre2 with Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo and AOL Mail

- Syncing of Contacts without Google:

The missing sync can still do this well from what I see. I have no experience with it but someone else may be able to chime in on this. Why do you not want to use google? The phone syncs well with google.

- Task Organizing / Omnifocus: I cannot answer this, but there are many task organizers / outline trackers in the app catalog that may work for you.

- Google Voice App: Voogle

Check out Voogle: http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...icationid=6291

- Google Maps:

Comes loaded on the phone although there's rumors of the Pre3 getting Bing Maps.

But there are other options in the app catalog, such as BFG Maps which is powered by Google Maps.

Check out BFG Maps: http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...icationid=4101

There is also a standalone device based navigation app that I've been using called NDrive and its very good (pricey though)

Check out NDrive USA: http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...icationid=8709

- Weather App:

Weathericon, The Weather Channel, Accuweather

- Twitter App:

I don't use twitter but there's badkitty, carbon for twitter, twee and many others that are supposed to be good

- Facebook App:

There's one made by Palm that is rated one of the best compared with other smartphone OS's.

Check out Facebook: http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...licationid=412

- OS Updates:

With the Pre3 you should be good for a while. Similar to iOS devices if you ask me. As the hardware is able to support newer features, updates will continue to work for it.

The original Palm Pre on Sprint and the AT&T Pre Plus are on webOS 1.4.5. The Verizon Pre Plus is on 1.4.5.1 (bug fixes). All those devices can get webOS 2.1 on them (someone correct me on the version if I'm wrong) with a little work by usb.

The Verizon Pre2 is on webOS 2.0.1 and the Unlocked Pre2 is on 2.1.0. I think the Veer is on 2.2...I think. The Pre2 is expected to be upgradeable to webOS 3.0.

Bottom line on OS Updates (can be done OTA, by the way, not through iTunes) you will not see the type of fragmentation that you do on Android.

Hopefully this helps out, and this community will gladly welcome an iOS convert.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulFranz View Post
    Syncing of Contacts without using Google. (3rd party software requirement is ok)
    Mind if I ask why? You've got a lot of google related stuff you want access to, so clearly it's not a google issue. Syncing contacts with google will really make your life easier since it means you'll be able to migrate from phone to phone seamlessly without having to worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    All those devices can get webOS 2.1 on them (someone correct me on the version if I'm wrong) with a little work by usb.
    The only possible correction is "a little work."

I found it to be easy, bordering on trivial. On the other hand, some people had a very difficult time. It depends in large part on you comfort level when it comes to doing things from a command line. Some people just have a mental block about it, even when they have step by step directions.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    Paul,

Sounds to me like the Pre3 is tailor made for you. I think you'll find it liberating not having to plug into a PC all the time. In fact you almost never need to plug in.

most of your podcasts will have a RSS feed that you can load into DrPodder. Again, no need to plug into a PC. So you can get your daily fix more easily.

We think HP has something up it's sleeve for music that should be sync your iTunes stuff.

Updates happen OTA about 3 or 4 times a year so far. Very simple.

you might need to change the way for one or two things. I don't know much about your calendar sync method. But I think you'll soon find a method that works just as well, if not better.
    Being to load music and podcasts from iTunes (3rd party software requirement is ok)
    Not sure. Don't use ITunes myself.
    But the Pre started with ITunes "support". But Palm did that by faking the IPhone ID so ITunes simply acted as if it was connected to an IPhone.
    Apple didn't like that and for some early versions there was a back and forth between Apple blocking that with ITunes Upgrades and Palm restoring that with webos upgrades. Eventually Palm threw in the towel on this one. I think there is a couple of Sync apps that do this instead - but I didn't keep up with that as I don't use ITunes, Mac or Windows.

I read somewhere that ITiunes support will come back with webos 3.x via using official ITunes API (instead of faking IPhone ID) - but not sure if that is or will be correct.

Sorry - dunno.

Sure.

I know there are a at least a couple of 3rd party sync apps that do this - but never used them myself.

I believe one is named MissingSync and there was at least one other.

Sorry - I have no experience with either. Google sync was so far good enough for my needs.

Task Organizing that can be imported/exported from OmniFocus. (If I need to do the integration I am adverse to that. But the app would need to support import/export in an automated fashion. Website or whatever.)
    Dunno.
    A quick googling made it look like that is not the case.
    Apple is not known for playing ball with others.

Google Voice app.
    Dunno - likely eventually

Google Maps app.
    Yes

Weather app.
    Yes

Twitter app
    Yes

Facebook app
    Yes.

If you get a webos device - install Preware. webos has a wonderful and very competent and responsible homebew community. Popular stuff that isn't available in the primary catalog can often be found in Preware.

A big difference between webos and the other platforms is that the Pre/Pixi/Veer devices have never been locked. Homebrew exists with official acceptance from Palm and HP has given no indication that they intend to change this. No hacks are needed to "root" the devices. The code to acticate "developer mode" is well known and never was a secret.
    Like many others my Pre runs on an alternative homebrew kernel that solved some issues and overclocks the CPU (1 GHz instead of the original 500 MHz).

Also, I need to know about availability of upgrades to the OS if I buy the Pre3. One of the reasons that I hate Android is because after you the phone you are for the most part stuck on that version of Android. (i.e. I have no control short of bypassing the manufacturer and going to XDA and hope I don't screw up that phone in the process). If the same thing is going to happen with an HP Pre3, I am going to hesitant to switch.
    Palm for a long time was very good with this. Until Palm got bought by HP there were frequent updates. Depending on country and carrier you sometimes had to wait a week or 3 longer than others but eventually everybody got the same version.

During the buyout and shortly after it was to be expected that there was a temporary halt while re-organization happened.
    Then came webos 2.x and everybody was supposed to get it - but that eventually didn't happen. Here things get muddy. The official version is that the old hardware is not capable to run 2.x. There is some truth in there - but that could have been solved by disabling a few of the more RAM intensive changes, because homebrew devs did move 2.x to old Pres and it mostly works.
    O2 Germany even managed to negotiate the upgrade for the Pre Plus at least.

Long story short we can't be sure what the future policy will be. Officially it seems that everybody is supposed to get OTA upgrades, until the hardware can't keep up anymore (with 512+ RAM that should take a long while). But carriers have a say and can always prevent that for their own network.

I trust it will be better than for Android - but not perfect all the time.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    tholap, that was a lot of talking yet saying very little! Why respond if you "dunno"?
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    Please note: you think you want iTunes now because you're forced to use it. You'll start to see how great it is not to have to plug anything into your phone, or connect your phone to anything, after a while of not being forced to do it. Downloading podcasts from your device, synching media from your device and getting updates from your device will soon make you forget all about the iProgram everything used to depend on.
    For syncing of contacts, Palm works fine for me.

One creates a Palm profile when you first activate the device. That profile will let you do over-the-air backups and restore of contacts if you choose Palm as your "default" contact account (no itunes syncing needed). It also does backup and restore of apps, email account settings, call history, *some texts*, a few other things. We will have to see if the software update on Palm Pre3 has made some additional improvements in this function.
  9.    #9  
    When it comes to iTunes and podcasts, I like the way t works. It makes the syncing of what podcasts, I have listened to and where I have listened to them. Because it depends on where I am. If I am working, I listen to my podcasts on my computer. If I am driving in my car, I listen to the same podcasts from my phone. And sometimes, I download the video podcast to my iPad and watch them there. Though, that is less frequently.

When it comes to iTunes and music, that is how I play and organize it. As it is I am slowly moving my DRM music to DRM-free. (i.e. paying the "upgrade" cost)

About the Google thing, I have multiple custom phone numbers. Like, iPhone and main. main is used for the main number of a business. In the past, Google did not support this. Though it looks like it does now. The question is syncing with Google and whether my contacts will be safe. I have had enough individuals that have had there account hacked and their contacts spammed. I am not a fool to think that I am immune. So keeping my contacts in the cloud scares the crap out of me. Also, the amount of information that Google already knows about me scares the crap out of me. And to that my contacts and that is way too much.

When it comes to CalDav, I read I could add my CalDav my Gmail account, I don't like this as a solution. But does it work?

I will definitely look into Missing Sync (My wife had it for her Blackberry before she switched to an iPhone).

When it comes to OF and syncing tasks, this is kinda important. OF supports exporting and importing tasks. I could write an Applescript to help with updating tasks if the import does not work on this. I need to look at this more.
    I love the UI for the Pre (I had chance to play with a HP Veer. Thought the keyboard was too small but loved the UI). Before I make the move I would like to know if the apps that I rely on a day to day basis are available.

They are :

There are a couple of choices here:
    1. Missing Sync - syncs with iTunes.
    2. Salling Media Sync - syncs with iTunes
    3. drPodder - Over-the-Air mgnt & syncing not requiring iTunes

Missing Sync will provide you with the most complete syncing solution with your computer as you've asked for in your post. It will sync all your media ( music, podcasts, photos) as well as other data like Calendar, Contacts, Notes, etc. If you must absolutely have to have, and want all the syncing with a local machine, then get it. Otherwise, don't. It is not worth the price. I have it, and haven't used it for more than a year because it was so buggy and they honestly just do not seem to care.

I also have Salling Media Sync, which I use to sync to my iPod as well as my Pre minus. Note that this will only sync media (music, podcast, photos).

I don't use iTunes for podcasts only because I don't listen to that many podcasts, so I use drPodder for podcasts.

I'm not familiar with this... I have multiple google calendars from multiple google accounts all displaying on my Pre via Synergy and that has worked well for me. Can you elaborate a bit more on CalDav and what you are looking to do? Perhaps there is a solution...

Yes. I have 5 email accounts, 1 personal, 2 google, 2 yahoo, and all IMAP. webOS Synergy pulls it all in nicely. You have an inbox for each account, as well as one aggregated inbox of all the accounts.

Missing Sync will sync with Apple's Address Book. That used to be my workflow until I stopped using Missing Sync. This is probably your best bet based on your post above regarding Google.

There is no app that I know of right now on webOS that will integrate with OmniFocus. OmniGroup products are very mac centric, and I get the impression that Mac users in webOS land is a minority, so I don't foresee OmniGroup products available for webOS anytime soon.

The webOS app that's closest to OmniFocus would be Done!, which integrates with the Toodledo service. You have access to tasks on your phone as well as on the website. There are a lot of features and settings like OmniFocus (context, due dates, tags, etc).

Google Voice app.
    Voogle is the only choice right now, but not a very good choice I'm afraid. There is no notification. You cannot listen to voice mail. It's buggy.

My advice would be to have you voicemail routed to google voice, and use the phone's phone app to dial in to listen to the voicemail. Same thing with texting, just use your phone's Messaging app. The settings are slightly different depending on your carrier. It's really easy on Sprint. I can't speak for AT&T or VZ.

Google Maps app.
    Yes it's available. However, Google hasn't been showing any love for webOS at all over the past two years. Google Maps for webOS is pretty much unusable unless you are really really patient. On Sprint, Sprint Nav is much faster. As others have said, it's pretty much an open secret now that the next iteration of webOS will switch over to Bing for maps.

Weather app.
    Yes. There are a bunch of them.

Twitter app
    Yes. For some reason, there are a ton of Twitter apps on webOS. Carbon, Spaz, Phnx are my top-3. They're all pretty good. Try them all out and see which one you like/prefer. Carbon has a lot of hidden gestural shortcuts that are great for power users. Spaz is opensource and free and very good as well.

Facebook app
    I don't fb but I've heard that webOS's fb app is good. *shrug*

This one's hard to tell because there's been so much turmoil in webOS-land ever since it was released in 2009. At first the updates came pretty regularly for everybody every 1-2 months. Then it dried up, and now there's no updates for earlier webOS devices prior to the Pre2. We don't know how HP is going to handle OS update moving forward yet, but we do know that the Pre3 is going to be the high-end product in the immediate future, so I would venture to say that OS updates will be available for a while.
  11.    #11  
    I will look into "Salling Media Sync" and "Missing Sync" thanks.

When it comes to CalDav. I have my calendars in MobileMe and they just recently switched to using CalDav. So I don't want to move my calendars from there to somewhere else (i.e. Google Calendars)

When it comes mail, I currently I have 19 Email accounts and I would like to know how well, the current Palm Pre's handle that number of accounts.

When it comes to task manager, I will check out Done!. It looks like the ToodleDo service has an API. I will look into writing some AppleScript and some other code. I have looked into it some and it looks like an idea might be to use AppleScript to dump the Tasks, Projects and Contexts and then use a Java/Objective-C/Perl/Python to sync up the contents with the ToodleDo service.

When it comes to Google Voice. I will check out Voogle. I understand the issue with gDial Pro . Which for all I know will be resolved in webOS 3.0 . I will go to my local AT&T store and go to the Google Voice mobile site on the HP Veer.

Thanks for the Twitter client suggestion. I would love if Twitter would have a way to save the current position in the stream so that no matter where I check it (i.e. phone or iPad or computer) the last tweet read would be known and I could switch to another client and pick right up where I left off.

When it comes to updates, as long as the updates are available for the first 2 years of the product that would be good.
    OK, I need to spend some serious time reading ALL your posts...you're a wealth of

information on everything I'm missing....
    I will look into "Salling Media Sync" and "Missing Sync" thanks.

When it comes to CalDav. I have my calendars in MobileMe and they just recently switched to using CalDav. So I don't want to move my calendars from there to somewhere else (i.e. Google Calendars)
    Hm... I *think* that Missing Sync is probably going to be your best bet. I'm a Mac user as well, but don't use iCal or Address Book anymore. I'm actually curious how well this is going to work for you. If/when you have a working solution I'd love to find out if not for anything than to satisfy my curiosity.

When it comes mail, I currently I have 19 Email accounts and I would like to know how well, the current Palm Pre's handle that number of accounts.
    Toughie as well. This is such an edge-case that I don't know if anyone in these forums are going to be able to help you out with unfortunately. But, it is good to get first-hand report of extreme cases. Again, if/when you do try it out please please come back and share your experiences. I would love to hear about your experiences.

My gut feeling is that, depending on what you mail settings are (check every hour, x minutes, as email arrives) your battery is going to be horrible.

When it comes to task manager, I will check out Done!. It looks like the ToodleDo service has an API. I will look into writing some AppleScript and some other code. I have looked into it some and it looks like an idea might be to use AppleScript to dump the Tasks, Projects and Contexts and then use a Java/Objective-C/Perl/Python to sync up the contents with the ToodleDo service.
    Yep. I think that's certainly possible to expedite your input from the Mac on to ToodleDo, and then use the Pre to consume/view the lists offline (helpful when traveling outside of coverage/wifi areas as I did last fall). Just be sure to set Done! to sync the data before you go offline.

When it comes to Google Voice. I will check out Voogle. I understand the issue with gDial Pro . Which for all I know will be resolved in webOS 3.0 . I will go to my local AT&T store and go to the Google Voice mobile site on the HP Veer.
    I'm not aware of what the resolution is in webOS 3.0 with regards to gDail Pro... Can you share the info?

Thanks for the Twitter client suggestion. I would love if Twitter would have a way to save the current position in the stream so that no matter where I check it (i.e. phone or iPad or computer) the last tweet read would be known and I could switch to another client and pick right up where I left off.
    That's a Twitter thing isn't it? Idk if any Twitter client is going to be able to do that. However, based on your comments, Carbon would be at the top of my list. It shows a horizontal rule to separate the newest batch of tweets. Definitely very useful.

When it comes to updates, as long as the updates are available for the first 2 years of the product that would be good.
    My gut feeling is that this will easily do-able once the "new" batch of phones and OS updates are rolled out this summer/fall. We in webOS-land has been in a weird state of things over the past year because of the Palm acquisition and missed product cycle and HP-integration and all that jazz. I hope that moving forward we will have more regular updates.
    There are some Mac users out here that love both Mac and WebOS. While the cloud may be wonderful for some people, I still want the option of just being able to sync the calendar on my desktop with my phone, and having the different categories in my calendar show up as different colors just like it did when I synced my first palm pilot with my desktop. (Granted not in color). With the Pre- I was still able to do that using MissingSync but had to switch to iCal which was fine. I haven't seen that there is a way to do this if one is running WebOs 2.x or above. While I appreciate that having advanced options like the cloud may be optimal for some types of users, I have a had time figuring out why it has to occur at the exclusion of what would seem to me as a non-programmer type to be a basic functionality.

What I Need for the Pre3:
    A missing Sync for Mac
    ANd for the good folks at Slingmedia to finally make a Slingplayer mobile for WebOS.
    The often overlooked feature is that the cloud services you can sync you Pre with, can also be synced with various desktop apps.

For instance, google calendar.

I have google calendar synced with my Pre. However, like you, I want to be able to access that data offline through my desktop.

So I have my desktop sync with google calendar as well. I can make changes to my calendar on my Pre, through the web, or on my favorite desktop PIM app and it will automatically be synced to the other two with zero interaction on my part.

Other than the incredibly unlikely event of needing to do an emergency backup of PIM data, even though it's stored in 3 places, while unable to connect to the internet, programs like missing sync provide no actual utility in terms of calendar syncing. Instead, they simply provide a bit of nostalgia for those who just can't let go of cables.

Don't get me wrong. I am NOT suggesting using the Palm profile as your primary cloud sync. That puts all your eggs in one basket, and then locks you out of the basket. Bad, bad, bad plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.