1.    #1  
    okay so since im on vacation and its nearly impossible that sprint will get the Pre 3, i was thinking of actualy linking a pre 2 with my pre-. I have already seen the instructions but im not sure about something tho. I have my pre- and its already upgraded to 2.1. So i was just wondering if i insert the comm board of my pre- will i have webos 2.1 on the frankenpre? Or do i have to start all over again? What about my applications? That means that i dont have to call sprint for activation of frankenpre?
    The OS is not installed on the comms board. It's installed in a different part of the phone. You have two steps:
    1. Hardware migration
    2. Software migration

If you skip step 2, you'll still have a phone that works on the sprint network. However, you'll have all of the original software installed on the phone. E.g. if it was a Verizon Pre2 that you upgraded, it'll have verizon navigator on it and all the other verizon bloatware. I don't know if it matters if you do the software portion, but I did.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    where did you go for vacation?
    are you enjoying yourself?
    Do it! You won't regret it. Sprint FrankenPre 2 is wonderful.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
  5.    #5  
    im on vacation from college dude u bluenote. And yes its going well to be off so i have nothing to do now. So i was wondering myself if i can actually make a frankenpre. So i would need to order a pre 2 from ebay that says verizon or unlocked?
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    Do it! You won't regret it. Sprint FrankenPre 2 is wonderful.
    I've also considered it. What's a Pre2 going for these days?
    I am pretty sure unlocked gsm is the way to go. I think if you go verizon you will have to wait on verizon for updates while unlocked gsm will get updates when palm releases them. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. Also big verizon logo on the mirror.
  8.    #8  
    yes they are not cheap on ebay. I see them from $200 to $350 :O they do have the unlocked gsm pre 2. Im pretty sure sprint will not get the HP pre 3. If they didnt care to get the pre plus, pre 2 and HP Veer then how are they going to take the Pre 3? Sprint are all about the Android now. So is there any video as well for the frankenpre conversion?
    ya, on youtube type in "sprint pre plus" and its the first one, 11:50 sec video. I did this conversion and it is great! Couldnt go back to a pre again. you will want to also pull up this page Sprint Pre 2 - WebOS Internals and make sure you pull the volume rocker off so you dont take a chance at breaking that ribbion. Then follow the software instructions and you will be all set

Ken
  10.    #10  
    yes but i mean since my pre- already ha 2.1 do i have t reinstall it again after creating the frankenpre?
    Yes because all u are bringing over from you Pre is the radio board. The os isn't stored on the radio board. You will want to re-flash the phone with the appropriate meta doctor.

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by rigo0523 View Post
    yes they are not cheap on ebay. I see them from $200 to $350 :O they do have the unlocked gsm pre 2. Im pretty sure sprint will not get the HP pre 3. If they didnt care to get the pre plus, pre 2 and HP Veer then how are they going to take the Pre 3? Sprint are all about the Android now. So is there any video as well for the frankenpre conversion?
    Does anyone know yet whether a Sprint FrankenPre3 will be possible?
  13.    #13  
    so for the frankenpre2 what can i consider it to be? Sprint, o verizon?
  14.    #14  
    franken3? Oh my that would be epic lol
    There's no way to know if a frankenpre3 is possible until it's released. However I doubt that it will be possible. The form factor of the Pre3 is quite a bit different than the Pre2 (and prior). The Pre3 is thinner and longer. I would be very surprised if the Pre-/Pre+/Pre2 comms board fit in the same space. But maybe.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  16.    #16  
    so does anyone know when i make the frankenpre2 and when i install webos 2.1 should i chose the sprint file, or verizon? Or? Hmm
  17.    #17  
    what is the difference between the pre 2 and the pre plus? If also went for the pre plus would it still be considered frankenpre?
    You want to use a Pre2 for the FrankenPre. It's a much better device.
  19.    #19  
    well i have been reading stuff and it says that a pre plus can be just as fast verclocked to 1.1 or 1.2 GHZ because it has 512 RAM. Is that true? I just found out the pre plus has 512 of RAM.
    I have a sprint frankenpre plus overclocked to 1.1 ghz and I still have issues with lag, better than the original pre but still too much lag. I'm most likely going to be getting a pre 2 very soon and I can't wait.