1.    #1  
    Hi all, I have been searching tirelessly on the forums for an answer to this question, but I all I can find are very old threads with warnings that this can really mess up your device (http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ng-phones.html, one member says "DO NOT DO THIS!!")

So, for us current Pre owners stuck on 1.4.5, how do you save your text message files from your phone and back up to your computer, for later putting back on the phone after doctoring? My Pre needs to be doctored and I know I lose text messages with this process (among other things Palm failed to include in their automatic backup system). I don't care about anything else that I'll lose except the SMS messages.

Also, there needs to be a way to do this without resorting to homebrew apps. Once I doctor my phone I have no intention of installing homebrew (Preware and everything else). I can enter the developer code to gain access to the phone, but I want to refrain from having to do any modding to the phone anymore. I just want a stock experience from now on.

Thank you very much.
    the only way I know of is to copy the palmdatabase.db3 file from the device to your PC.

there are caveats, but it can be done. The reality is that moving to 2.x is worth considering because it backs up your messages.

also, you might find some good info here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/187145-how-back-up-text-messages-when-exchanging-phones.html
  3.    #3  
    I have seen this, and it was the thread I linked to in my original post, but again this requires Homebrew (PreWare, Quick Install). I want to have a vanilla webOS experience on my doctored phone. In order to access the db3 files I need Internalz Pro.

I guess I can do it once at the beginning and then uninstall.

I know what you're saying about 2.x, but I don't plan to stay with webOS after the EVO 3D comes out. I'll likely take a look at where webOS is in two years from now, but I just want my Pre to last another month or so before I can toss it in the trash (or shoot it with a gun, because that sounds more enjoyable satisfying).

Thanks!
    Or you can do it the layman's way: C&P the text to email and send it to yourself.

MONOTONY ANYONE?
    I did it once (copy the databse) on same phone, os version and carier and it has worked.
    There are reports that you can get problems.
    You can do that with novacom or quick install.
    That's not what he (or I want). We want to backup our messaging to an external source for easy readability. Something that can be in HTML, .txt, or even .doc format

For example:

Tony: Man I like women 6/7/11 2:34pm
    Me: What you should be saying is Woman, I like men 6/7/11 4:33pm
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Trojan View Post
    That's not what he (or I want). We want to backup our messaging to an external source for easy readability. Something that can be in HTML, .txt, or even .doc format

For example:

Tony: Man I like women 6/7/11 2:34pm
    Me: What you should be saying is Woman, I like men 6/7/11 4:33pm
    I really hope this is possible