1.    #1  
    Uggg. I have a Sprint Palm Pre, am a heavy Preware Patch user, and just came across something I've never seen before. Not sure what's causing my problem.

As of a few days ago, my phone just straight out stopped displaying the EV/3G icon via cell radio, and stopped allowing me to obtain any ip data via the Sprint network. (in other words I can't get to any webpages or use apps that require data syncing or obtaining via web addresses).

So, what the heck might be causing this? I've read some threads that say go to the phone preferences and just press the 'update network settings' or 'update prl' buttons. The problem is, those buttons do not exist on my 'phone preference' screen/s.

Mild theories of mine include:
    1) It must be a Preware Patch causing the issue. I've uninstalled many/most patches that I thought could interfere. Also, I never consciously did anything with patches that might have caused this (no new patch installs). The only thing I could thing of is that I was tweaking Mode Switcher at the time, but the author of Mode Switcher has stated that it can't/shouldn't be the Mode Switcher app/patch.
    2) It must be a webOS bug that can't start the driver for cell modem use. I've talked with HP/Palm and they say/suggest it's a Sprint issue.
    3) It could be a Sprint issue, however, no one else is having these issues that I can see. I've talked with Sprint and they say/suggest it's an HP/Palm issue, and somehow are surprised when I tell them that those network update buttons don't exist on my phone preferences screen.
    4) And my silly, funny, rare 'conspiracy' theory that i have, is that I just got a Sprint AirRave and just joined up to port my Sprint number to Google Voice, so somehow some bug via Google ended up through my AirRave onto my phone which blocks. My phone won't '3G' no matter where I travel (so not an AirRave reset issue).

Any help or insight here would be greatly appreciated. Whatever I can do to get this working again without having to go the factory reset route (I have tons of hours of customization via patches that I don't want to delete. I assume a factory reset would take me 5 hours of work to get my phone back to it's present status, customizing 4x4 grids, labels, etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by visigothwarrior View Post
    Uggg. I have a Sprint Palm Pre, am a heavy Preware Patch user, and just came across something I've never seen before. Not sure what's causing my problem.
    What version of the OS?

Any help or insight here would be greatly appreciated. Whatever I can do to get this working again without having to go the factory reset route (I have tons of hours of customization via patches that I don't want to delete. I assume a factory reset would take me 5 hours of work to get my phone back to it's present status, customizing 4x4 grids, labels, etc)
    At some point the delta between diagnosing and fixing and just punting may have to be examined.

5 hours? I've completely dr'd my Pre before several times (I beta test now and again) and it has yet to take me more than 20mins to get it back to it's current state. I have many, many patches/mods that also includes themes on my current Pre minus.

I'd look into Google voice as a potential problem. It's very buggy for quite a few users.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Same thing is happening to me. I have a Sprint Pre -, running 2.1. Also, I just ported over to google voice last week. Don't recall this happening before I ported, but this has been a constant problem/pain in my ****.
    Airrave doesn't support EVDO, only 1x... Do you see a 1x icon instead?
    I have an airave, but temporarily am without internet, so it has been turned off. So I'm having this problem with no airave....
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the feeback so far.

To answer some questions...

- I'm running webOS 1.4.5, have been for a while

- I'd love to punt and reset, but man it took me a while to do that last time around (5 months ago). Maybe I'm not as savvy on backup/reinstall as I should be. I have about 120 apps that auto download from my Palm Profile, I have about 30-40 patches, I have about 30-40 homebrew Apps. So, to reinstall, I'd guess I'd have to wait for 120 apps to install (a few hours, plus reconfiguring many because the app settings didn't backup to the Palm Profile), plus reinstall patches (which might not be too bad because there's the Preware backup tool I can use), then reinstall the homebrew/beta apps, then recreate 30 web shortcut icons for the launcher, and then configure the customizable patches that reinstalled from scratch that didn't keep their settings, such as some of the 'Mega Mixes' that allow 4x4 grid with icon renaming. This is why I have in my head that it might take 5 hours to get back to exactly where I was. Any insight here might help. Am I missing something? A Homebrew tool? Concept?

- As for my AirRave, I was told it was the 'newest' version vs 1 or 2 older models, that I know didn't support EVDO, and were either voice only or voice plus 1X. Upon installing my AirRave just a few weeks ago, I could get both 1x and 3G icons appearing while surfing (and it definitely wasn't swapping between towers and my AirRave, because I definitely live where there's no cell reception).

- Interesting to see someone else with the same issue(s) also using Google Voice recently. hmmmmmmm.

I'm working with Sprint as we speak. Started a ticket 2 days ago. They called me back 2x today to apologize that their tech support hasn't gotten back to the person who is updating me in standby. Hopefully, they'll figure out a workaround.

Has anyone else out there seen their Phone Preferences screen without a 'Update System Network' button? If so, how did you fix it? (besides a system reset). There's always the chance that a Homebrew Patch made these buttons disappear prior to my present problem. I think I remember mildly seeing a thread that mentioned a patch/button coverup issue, but couldn't find it again.
  8.    #8  
    Hey guys, just another update to this issue..

Got a PM from Veelo2 who suggested the following:

Download "Terminal" from Preware

Put in the following two lines and press enter after each one:

luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.systemservice/setPreferences '{"showUpdatePRL":true}'

And:

luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.systemservice/setPreferences '{"showUpdateNetworkSettings":true}'

This worked for me...sort of...
    It got the buttons back, however, when I pressed the 'Update Network Settings' and 'Update PRL', neither would update, and gave a generic "can't update message, contact Sprint"

darn...thx Veelo2!
    Use Save/Restore, don't spend 5 hours fixing.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Sounds like your phone is offline. You wll not see those two items listed if the phone is not connected to Sprint. Does it say that the phone is off line in the top left of main screen? I recently had a similar situation after repairing my Pre and having it reactivated.
    The phone goes offline, sometimes thru multiple restarts... At times I will only have the clock on the topbar and thats it. This is very frustrating.
    I have a sprint pre- but am running 2.1. I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. I was also messing with mode switcher, I had installed it several days prior. I started uninstalling the patches that I had been messing with recently and when I uninstalled mode switcher and restarted all was back to normal. I haven't tried to reinstall it and maybe it was not really the culprit, but I have my phone back and don't want to tempt the fates! I gotta make this old thing hang on in the (feeble) hope that the Pre 3 [I]might make to Sprint!
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by dballew View Post
    Sounds like your phone is offline. You wll not see those two items listed if the phone is not connected to Sprint. Does it say that the phone is off line in the top left of main screen? I recently had a similar situation after repairing my Pre and having it reactivated.
    The phone is definitely not Offline. It says Sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by preternatural View Post
    I have a sprint pre- but am running 2.1. I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. I was also messing with mode switcher, I had installed it several days prior. I started uninstalling the patches that I had been messing with recently and when I uninstalled mode switcher and restarted all was back to normal. I haven't tried to reinstall it and maybe it was not really the culprit, but I have my phone back and don't want to tempt the fates! I gotta make this old thing hang on in the (feeble) hope that the Pre 3 [I]might make to Sprint!
    Hmmmm, I posted on a Mode Switcher thread before posting this thread, and the author responded, saying that is basically wasn't possible.

I've uninstalled all patches, with multiple reboots, multiple attempts of resets of network settings. Man, I've never seen this issue before in all of my intricate life with this phone and Homebrew fun.

I'm starting to chalk this up to a dead data modem or some rare webOS glitch. Still waiting for Sprint to call me back. I'll keep y'all posted.
  14.    #14  
    I've used the Save/Restore in the past which helps, but seems to have fallen short. I'm under the impression that
    A) not all patches are in the Save/Restore list, just some, so if I'm using some patches in the list.
    b) some patches will reinstall with Save/Restore but they'll install as fresh without their settings, so I have to reconfigure them.
    So, in the past it's taken a long time to reconfig the Mega Applauncher (or equive patch) with 6, 4x4 screens, custom labels, 20 web shortcuts, etc.
    Maybe it's come along more than when I used it 5-6 months ago during last factory reset.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Use Save/Restore, don't spend 5 hours fixing.
    Wow.. Some one else had this problem too?

Here is what I went through...

I have been running my Sprint Pre- with 1.4.5 for awhile. Went to to 2.1 w/the meta-doctor.
    Then I got a Pre2. I did a comm swap to a Pre2 so I have Sprint Franken Pre2 running 2.1

Been running the Franken Pre2 for some time now. Working great. Last week my data connection went awol.

Using the phone, wifi, etc... worked great. I wasn't able to send/receive text messages nor enable the data (ev/3g) at all.

I ran the quick/interactive tests that ran through the hardware and it kept telling me that I had bad modem/wifi.

So.. ran the meta-doc image over for my Franken Pre2 and it wouldn't activate. Put in dev mode, data still appeared to be hosed. I swapped the comm back to my Pre-, doctored it to 1.4.5 with a dummy profile. Everything worked great. I swapped the comm back to the Pre2, meta-doctored to 2.1 and everything is working well again.

Did I take the long route.... possibly. At least it is working again.

But strange that the data just all of a sudden dropped out and couldn't be enabled anyway. BTW.... it started this not long after I changed my Google Voice account to use my Sprint number. Needless the say I reversed that for now.
    Last edited by oakridge outdoors; 06/01/2011 at 09:48 AM.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
  16.    #16  
    Just a small update on this issue I was having.

I cumulatively had about 5 hours of Sprint phone holdtime for multiple call ins, multiple holds, and multiple 'bumps up the ladder', including customer retention, that I could write a book about.

Here's what I told Sprint in a nutshell:

a) Is this a sprint network issue, an OS issue, or a hardware issue? Since no one can answer this, or everyone is blaming the other party, and others are having the exact issue it's not a hardware thing, please replace my device or an equivalent.
    b) I have Palm/HP telling me it's a Sprint issue
    c) I have Sprint telling me it's a hardware issue (so they can fall back on my 'no hardware' insurance bs which can be nullified by 'a' above)
    What I ultimately got was a new Pre minus for free.

What I found out researching/heard during all of this:

a) Saw that there was a leaked internal doc from HP saying 1.4.5 was compromised? and had the potential for a DoS (denial of service) attack. I'm not super savvy on this term or the tech in this posting, but couldn't that mean that, in theory, a bad script or something equivalent from a beta/homebrew app/author compromise my Pre?
    AusCERT - ESB-2011.0521 - [Mobile] HP/Palm webOS: Multiple vulnerabilities
    someone else want to verify/calm my nerves here?
    b) If you push hard enough, Sprint will definitely want to keep you. I got a replacement Pre for free w/o having insurance on the device, but boy they were pushing so much to go to another device (maybe no HP in their near future?)
    c) I verified at a local Sprint store that other Sprint Pre minus users were having the same problem (they had a 3G data drop, did a reset, but couldn't activate the device again), so I had this in my favor when calling Sprint.

I still have a conspiracy theory in my head, reaffirmed by experience with hours of talking with Sprint tech support and Retention, that since the Sprint Pre launched about 2 years ago, they're starting for 'force' trouble on some Pre owners to roll over to other products so that have more leverage with denying the Pre3 HP negotiations on Sprint (since the Pre3 is about to launch right now)
    I'd say that "forced trouble" is a little out there. I just think its Sprint being Sprint. You get the same type of crap from Verizon as well if you're trying to drop any of their services. I mean Sprint could try that sort of tactic but it would mean the loss of many Pre die-hards still out there. If someone were really going to switch from their Pre to Android or iPhone I'd say they would have already done it by now. So pushing them towards a phone they obviously don't want is only gonna push them into the arms of someone else selling the same service but with the hardware they desire to experience that service with.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by balgus View Post
    I'd say that "forced trouble" is a little out there. I just think its Sprint being Sprint. You get the same type of crap from Verizon as well if you're trying to drop any of their services. I mean Sprint could try that sort of tactic but it would mean the loss of many Pre die-hards still out there. If someone were really going to switch from their Pre to Android or iPhone I'd say they would have already done it by now. So pushing them towards a phone they obviously don't want is only gonna push them into the arms of someone else selling the same service but with the hardware they desire to experience that service with.
    Yeah, I know, just 'fun' to throw that in there. I honestly don't think they'd do that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't at the top of their priority list, if it was just a few Sprint Pre Minus users that were having the problem. Or, if they'd even ever admit the problem, knowing that they're slowly dropping webOS users, down to 0.5% webOS user base now? How long did it take Apple to admit the hand holding antenna issue, or when a bunch of Android phones went from 2.1 to 2.2 last year, they had a data loss too, and took a week to fix for many. I guess it's just the way business is done. I 100% can't subscribe to the fact that is was just my phone, knowing that others out there had the same issue, and reconfirmed by just going to one Sprint store manager.

I'm leaning towards network bugs or OS bug/compromise. Just very funny that a handful of Sprint and/or other users have seen the same 'data loss' issue not only in precentral forums, but in some other forums I've perused (Palm/HP, Sprint, other providers, etc). There's just a few peeps, but they're there.