1.    #1  
    A Tale of Two Phones:

=====

Phone 1 (P1)—Daughter’s Original Palm Pre— Two Months Shy of Two Years Old

P1 Worked Perfectly Until Suffering Screen Crack last week

Phone has been deactivated by yours truly

=====

Phone 2 (P2)—Daughter’s New Palm Pre—purchased two days ago via Craigslist

P2 has been successfully activated (I think) by a combination of the efforts of yours truly and the local Sprint store

P2 Works Perfectly...has pristeen touchscreen (wifi, Bluetooth, webbrowser, video, still photos etc all work) EXCEPT that when placing (or receiving) a call in—

*normal mode or
    *speakerphone mode or
    *wired headset mode or
    *Bluetooth headset mode…

--when placing a call using P2…or answering a call using P2…the person on the other end of the line hears absolute silence regardless of which of the four above-listed modes you use to talk…you can hear the person on the other end of the call but they cannot hear you when you speak…

Interestingly, when using P2 to ‘make a video’, the audio is successfully recorded in concert with the video.

=====

Sprint’s Customer Service tells me that there is a hardware problem with P2. I don’t know whether to believe them or not.

Here is what I wonder and I have some questions.

(1) Do any of the posters on this board have an idea as to what could be wrong with P2?
    (2) If the audio problem exhibited by P2 is in fact a hardware problem, can I perform transplant surgery on a combination of P1 (broken screen) and P2 (audio problem) and present my daughter with a fully functional Pre?

At this point I am not interested in Pre Plus transformations or anything like that. I simply want my daughter to have a working Pre until our contract runs out (end of July).

My own Pre works well (mostly)...it is also original and I am looking hard at waiting until the next WebOS phone comes out.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    proably the headphone jack problem,i had to replace mine.never usedwired headphones with replacement. Only bluetooth.
    It is absolutely possible to cannibalize the two phones to get a functional phone. Cannibalizing the mic is easier than cannibalizing the screen. However, if videos record sound perfectly, then it doesn't seem like its a hardware issue. It might just be the headphone jack issue. Please try the fixes listed on this forum for that problem. It might also be a software issue (Have you tried doctoring the phone with the audio problems?).

Good luck with cannibalizing. If you have trouble, please feel free to PM me, or if you want, send me both phones and I'll combine both of them for you (for free).

Let me know what you think via PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrykel View Post
    proably the headphone jack problem,i had to replace mine.never usedwired headphones with replacement. Only bluetooth.
    I don't think it has anything to do with the headset problem at all. In fact, it's the exact opposite--a microphone problem. Since it works for video recording, I'm leaning towads a software issue rather than hardware. Something is triggering the mute.

But alas, I have no idea what would fix it.
    Step 1, run webOS Doctor to put P2 into factory-fresh condition.
  6.    #6  
    Per your suggestion, cantaffordit, I have run webOS Doctor. Just now.

Sadly, the problem previously described remains: the phone seems to work perfect in every way except that when making or receiving calls, the person at the other end of the line cannot hear a word you are saying. There is no sound whatsoever, during calls, that leave the phone.

Step 2?
    Step 2 is to get a refund from the guy that sold you a non-working phone, IMHO.

If I was buying a phone on Craig's list, I'd want to meet the seller at the phone store and activate it while they stand there and then pay them...
  8.    #8  
    You know what? You are 100% correct.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Why not just get a refurb Pre- from Sprint for $35. That's what I did when mine developed the phantom screen "touching". Everything's fine with the refurb I got, and it's better than buying a phone from a perfect stranger.
  10.    #10  
    ...I was not offered that choice. I would have jumped on that choice. I was told that a cracked screen does not qualify for the refurb.
    Cracked screen is a known issue: whoever told you that it didn't qualify for refurb was wrong and/or lying.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  12.    #12  
    SirataXero...I've sent two PMs to you...for some reason I am not certain that they've been sent...
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    it doesn't have to be a "covered problem" as far as I know. I've known a few people that have just bought a refurb to replace theirs.
    Quote Originally Posted by josephandrews222 View Post
    There is no sound whatsoever, during calls, that leave the phone.
    I assume that also includes DTMF tones (pressing numbers on the dialer pad) while in a call?