1.    #1  
    Ok, so my pre suddenly had a number of problems that were not present before. First, it would randomly go into offline mode and I had no way of going back online and I had to restart my phone. Then, it would keep the offline message up even though it was online. Then, it was stuck offline, and even restarts did not help. I cleared a lot of my apps and patches in order to save memory, but still my phone would not connect. I figured out that by going into airplane mode and then leaving, I could go back online, but that worked maybe one out of five or ten tries and I would like to find a more permanent solution. Also, my phone keeps all the symbols and messages at the top, so it says I am in airplane mode still even when I am not. Finally, the wall charger stopped working. I tried both the touchstone and the direct link and still my phone would just charge enough to turn on and then it would die. I tried putting in the battery from my old pre (they are both the same model, I just got a new one after the old one's screen cracked, breaking the touchscreen and rendering it virtually useless). Even with the new battery, charging was useless. I even plugged it in to the computer, and the only improvement was that instead of failing to charge my phone it charged it just enough to keep it barely alive at "0%" the whole time. I figured it was just frozen so I restarted it, only to find that it is now turning on slower than ever before. I think it has been about 20 minutes and it is just now flashing the "palm" sign on the screen. ALSO, when I restarted it earlier, the time would be off by about an hour. I hadn't thrown, dropped, sat on, kicked, gotten water on my phone or anything so I do not know why this suddenly happened today. It all started yesterday. Does anyone have solutions to some of these sudden and unexplained problems?
    Quote Originally Posted by PreUser77 View Post
    I tried both the touchstone and the direct link and still my phone would just charge enough to turn on and then it would die. I tried putting in the battery from my old pre (they are both the same model, I just got a new one after the old one's screen cracked, breaking the touchscreen and rendering it virtually useless).
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Yes, your modem firmware is corrupted. That's when you get the Phone Offline issue, which will also result in the phone not charging properly, and discharging quickly.

a) get it replaced under warranty.
    b) if a's not an option: First find an alternate means to charge your battery.
    Then: ModemFW Flash - WebOS Internals
    Can you use the old phone with the cracked touchscreen to charge the battery so you can do the modem firmware fix that GuyFromNam is suggesting?
    yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Can you use the old phone with the cracked touchscreen to charge the battery so you can do the modem firmware fix that GuyFromNam is suggesting?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    yes

I should have been clearer - I know it is possible. I was curious if the broken phone was more broken than just at the touchscreen level.
  5.    #5  
    I do not remember everything that was wrong with the old phone, I just remember having problems with it and the broken touch screen was the final straw. Also, I do not have a warranty on the phone. My dad suggested that I try a factory reset and back up all my photos and videos onto the computer first, but that would take a lot of time to bring everything back to normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    I should have been clearer - I know it is possible. I was curious if the broken phone was more broken than just at the touchscreen level.
    If it's only the touchscreen, you should be able to launch, dial, and answer from the keypad, but it would be a guessing game.

And if the phone is in dev mode, you can pull the palmdatabase.db off along with your usb partition...
  7.    #7  
    I discovered one of the problems as I was trying to charge my battery in my old phone. It will not charge as well
    Quote Originally Posted by PreUser77 View Post
    I discovered one of the problems as I was trying to charge my battery in my old phone. It will not charge as well
    that's strange... I wonder if the battery is damaged.
    It could also mean that the chip in the phone that is responsible for charging is damaged.
  10.    #10  
    It can't be the battery because I have tried multiple batteries. Although I did not think about the charging chip that could be a source of the problem
    This is "the dad" chiming in with a bit more detail...

It's a new-in-box Pre-, one of the last shipped out from HP as they flushed out their stock. I picked up one for my wife, son and older daughter at the time. The broken-touchscreen Pre- he refers to was an old one of mine that I handed down when I upgraded. And I'll admit to being a penny-pincher where I shouldn't have--I have five lines in my plan so TEP was a bit too steep on top of the all-you-can-eat data plan. Considering two of my lines belong to teenagers with Pre- handsets, that may have been in error. :P

I'd put Preware on so he could have JStop and to give him the option of installing patches like 4- or 5-up Launcher pages if he chose. I know he put a lot of apps on after that, and I've advised him to back off on them to see if it helps. As he mentioned, I've also advised that he back up his media content in case a full reset is in order.

I'm hoping I can run webOSDoctor and restore the device, but if that fails I'm looking for options. I suppose the next step would be the modem firmware fix that GuyFromNam suggested, but it's going to be interesting to attempt loading a shell while it's misbehaving like that. Any other suggested would be welcomed.

Thanks!
    Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced. --Greg Bear
    Ah, the family that hangs around PreCentral together.... stays together!
    I had the offline problem a month or so ago, and probably like you was on here for hours looking through forums and tried a hundred different "sure fire" solutions....I finally came across a winner....Hold the power button and remove battery while still holding power. Once battery is removed you can, of course, release the power button. Waited about ten seconds put the battery back in and its been golden ever since. I'm sure it hasn't worked for everybody but it's one more thing to try..best of luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Do NOT do this. This is the worst advice I've seen this week.
    Out of curiosity, what does this do? How is this different from a normal battery pull?
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Out of curiosity, what does this do? How is this different from a normal battery pull?
    You can lose data on open cards as well as cards that aren't open. I had to do a battery pull today, had newsroom open, corrupted the database, every time I would try to load Newsroom it would crash and reboot the phone.

Uninstalled Newsroom and thanks to save/restore, was able to restore all my feeds. At some point I corrupted my NFSU save file as well (couldn't say exactly when or how). On battery pulls or crashes I have had some apps (native and app store), lose all preferences/settings, etc.

As was said above, just like with a computer, your more likely to corrupt something yanking the power while the device is "operating".
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...