Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    Pretty much anything is possible with the right tweaking and help from those in the know on this site.

    If a current Pre- can be loaded with WebOS 2.1 is it feasible that it could also tackle WebOS 3.0?

    Now obviously a hurdle for the Pre- is it's RAM limitation...I have read that memory managment with WebOS 2.1 is a must..no getting around this issue. Also due to this fact Flash support is also from what I read poor at best.

    My question is if WebOS 3.0 with Enyo is to be a "lighter" framework then Mojo, could it not also work with a Pre-?
  2. #2  
    Just my guess, I have a feeling 2.1 is as far as the pre and pre plus can go. But there is always hope. By the time 3.0 becomes available, I hope to have a pre 3 though.
  3. #3  
    yes it will done but it will never be stable.. 2.1 Isnt even good on pre.
  4. #4  
    Here is the deal. The only reason webOS 2 was possible on the Pre - was palm made webOS 2 publicly avail through the O2 pre doctor to have the kernel for the Pre/Pre Plus. This allowed homebrew to legitimately modify it on other devices. When webOS 3 comes out, HP will NOT release this for legacy devices for they will want to push the new devices, forget that the hardware wont cut it but just looking from an admin position here. Putting out updates on old phones means less $$$ for them. Without webos 3 kernels for legacy devices, this will not be possible for homebrew to legitimately modify for legacy devices.

    Look at it this way, every computing device cannot get indefinite OS upgrades for they will eventually reach their limits before the experience sux. This gives us excuses to get new toys
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

    www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Here is the deal. The only reason webOS 2 was possible on the Pre - was palm made webOS 2 publicly avail through the O2 pre doctor to have the kernel for the Pre/Pre Plus. This allowed homebrew to legitimately modify it on other devices. When webOS 3 comes out, HP will NOT release this for legacy devices for they will want to push the new devices, forget that the hardware wont cut it but just looking from an admin position here. Putting out updates on old phones means less $$$ for them. Without webos 3 kernels for legacy devices, this will not be possible for homebrew to legitimately modify for legacy devices.

    Look at it this way, every computing device cannot get indefinite OS upgrades for they will eventually reach their limits before the experience sux. This gives us excuses to get new toys

    In truth this is only quasi-true. It is possible to take the kernel sources from Palm/HP for the 2.1 Palm Plus and the sources for the yet to be named 3.x and modify and slice and dice and come up with some hackneyed 3.x - but this would be difficult and would essentially fork the OS. Many of the proprietary portions of the OS would not be licensed for use and essentially an entire new OS would end up being needed. The new OS could be created if people worked hard at it - but how useful this effort would be is anyones guess.

    Personally - I'd be happier with a 1.5.x update than anything. Give me voicedialing and give me flash (even if it sucks) and give me document editing. These are the only things I was ever promised on this phone that HP has control over and has not delivered on.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Look at it this way, every computing device cannot get indefinite OS upgrades for they will eventually reach their limits before the experience sux. This gives us excuses to get new toys
    I definitly know this. I still have a computer that isnt even able to run windows 7. lol
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    In truth this is only quasi-true. It is possible to take the kernel sources from Palm/HP for the 2.1 Palm Plus and the sources for the yet to be named 3.x and modify and slice and dice and come up with some hackneyed 3.x - but this would be difficult and would essentially fork the OS. Many of the proprietary portions of the OS would not be licensed for use and essentially an entire new OS would end up being needed. The new OS could be created if people worked hard at it - but how useful this effort would be is anyones guess.

    Personally - I'd be happier with a 1.5.x update than anything. Give me voicedialing and give me flash (even if it sucks) and give me document editing. These are the only things I was ever promised on this phone that HP has control over and has not delivered on.
    In theory, a slice and dice may be possible.

    In practice, when attempting it for 1.4.5 and 2.1, the proprietary graphics drivers killed the possibility stone dead.

    -- Rod
  8. hugh_h's Avatar
    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #8  
    My original Pre Plus is working fine for me. The form factor fits nicely in my pocket with its rounded corners, and I can tether to give a tablet the kind of functionality I want.

    I recently had my car fail and had to call for assistance. Using the web browser, I was able to find a towing co., and got it done, but I wouldn't want to depend on that tiny screen and keyboard for anything beyond emergency use.

    The screen is too small to do about anything beyond work as a phone, especially when I can get progressively better tablets over time, independent of wireless providers. I'd rather chase the techno-dragon on a larger screen format and leave my phone alone.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    In theory, a slice and dice may be possible.

    In practice, when attempting it for 1.4.5 and 2.1, the proprietary graphics drivers killed the possibility stone dead.

    -- Rod
    I assumed as much. This is where the principals of Free and Open Source Software meet with the practical reality on the ground. The effort to reverse engineer and create a open source graphics driver would be hard - but I wonder if as time goes on if anyone could convince the owner of that driver to release a version in open source.
  10.    #10  
    Thank you all for the responses very interesting to read others opinions on this issue.

    I currently have a Pre- in Canada on here with Bell ...and it comes with it's unlimited data add-on

    I currently have 1.4.5 on my device..and doubtfull that any future upgrade is coming soon to be released from HP

    I was interested in acquiring a touchpad and new pre3 when available however many things have to happen.

    Bell's flavor of pre3 hopefully is cdma...this "may" allow me to keep my current unlimited plan....Bell seems to be less concerned with how it tracks data with cdma phone then with gsm/hspa+ phones

    If this isnt the case perhaps I will manually upgrade webos 2.1 for my palm pre..just looks somewhat unstable still.

    Also I am torn between Touchpad vs. Asus Ep121 slate with win7

    For tethering purposes...like was mentioned on these forums forum apps are key..and hopefully the touchpad is not limited.
  11. #11  
    FWIW 2.1.0 on my Vzw Pre+ s just as stable as 1.4.5 was.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    In truth this is only quasi-true. It is possible to take the kernel sources from Palm/HP for the 2.1 Palm Plus and the sources for the yet to be named 3.x and modify and slice and dice and come up with some hackneyed 3.x - but this would be difficult and would essentially fork the OS. Many of the proprietary portions of the OS would not be licensed for use and essentially an entire new OS would end up being needed. The new OS could be created if people worked hard at it - but how useful this effort would be is anyones guess.

    Personally - I'd be happier with a 1.5.x update than anything. Give me voicedialing and give me flash (even if it sucks) and give me document editing. These are the only things I was ever promised on this phone that HP has control over and has not delivered on.
    I didn't even go to the possibilities but I was covering the legalities of doing such. We would need HP to release kernel drivers of webOS 3 for pre/preplus which will signal us that we could legitimately do this. Even lets say someone invested ALOT of time in writing the kernel from scratch to permit the port, IP rights will forbid us doing so since we still have to respect the IP wishes or HP.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

    www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  13. #13  
    The real question is can we make it work on my Treo 300?



  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    I didn't even go to the possibilities but I was covering the legalities of doing such. We would need HP to release kernel drivers of webOS 3 for pre/preplus which will signal us that we could legitimately do this. Even lets say someone invested ALOT of time in writing the kernel from scratch to permit the port, IP rights will forbid us doing so since we still have to respect the IP wishes or HP.
    What would prevent it? As long as you are using HP-publicly-released or open source artefacts on a webOS device, there is no legal problem.

    -- Rod

Posting Permissions