Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Apologies if this is a known issue; I've tried searching, but looking for any GPS info brings back a lot of threads that are polluted with American problems (ie Verizon)...

Pre-, GSM version, on O2 in the UK, WebOS 1.4.5.
    I've had the phone about a year, and the GPS has worked fine. This morning it was no longer working. I can get a vague fix with Location Services, but it never becomes more accurate. If I turn off Location Services I never get any position at all.

I've tried restarting, I've tried pulling the battery, no effect.

Any ideas? Anybody seen this before? I have a horrible feeling that this is a hardware problem...

Thanks
    battery pull should be only done as a last, last resort.

can you find the GPS Fix app in the catalog? if so, that should help you with your issues
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wushu2004 View Post
    can you find the GPS Fix app in the catalog? if so, that should help you with your issues
    It doesn't.
    I was always having intermittent GPS issues on my 1.4.5 Pre+, also O2 UK. Recently meta doctored to 2.1 and it seems to have Killed GPS all together. No amount of restarting GPS or the phone seem to work.
    GPS is working fine on my UK Pre-. I occupationally get a rubbish result but not often. Is this an on-going issue or just a one day thing? Have you tried a trip to the doctor? I don't know if it's a fix- But if you contact Palm support they'll ask you to doctor. If you've already done that you can send it off to them for repair (I Sent mine for free repair when my touchscreen went dodgy)
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by richardtank View Post
    GPS is working fine on my UK Pre-. I occupationally get a rubbish result but not often. Is this an on-going issue or just a one day thing? Have you tried a trip to the doctor? I don't know if it's a fix- But if you contact Palm support they'll ask you to doctor. If you've already done that you can send it off to them for repair (I Sent mine for free repair when my touchscreen went dodgy)
    It's an ongoing thing. Or at least, it hasn't fixed itself after a few days and any number of restarts.

You're right, doctoring is probably the next step. I should probably do it, some time when I have the time to restore everything...

I'm not convinced that sending it off for repair is worthwhile - lack of GPS, while annoying, is a relatively minor issue - it just stops me geocaching - and I'm not sure it's worth being without a phone for weeks. Plus, since O2 don't sell anything that runs WebOS right now, I fear that they'd replace it with something else!
    I sent mine to Palm directly, I didnt bother with O2. I had to use a Feature phone Nokia for the few days I was away from my Pre! It all depends on how much you miss the GPS though- If it's not a deal breaker then no need to send it off.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by richardtank View Post
    I sent mine to Palm directly, I didnt bother with O2. I had to use a Feature phone Nokia for the few days I was away from my Pre! It all depends on how much you miss the GPS though- If it's not a deal breaker then no need to send it off.
    Ah. Maybe I should try that. Who exactly did you send it to, where? How quickly did they return it?

Visit Palm's website, and go to support. You can do a web chat with them 9-5pm GMT. Tell them whats going on. They'll probably ask you to doctor. If that doesn't sort it they give you a service repair number and address.
    I sent it by special delivery on a Tuesday (obviously had to pay for the sending) and it came back the following Tuesday. So a week in total from sending it off till it returning.
    Overall I found the service to be very good. They emailed me when they received the pre, when they'd fixed it, and when they'd sent it back. Keeping me in the loop is quite comforting when they have your phone!
    I'm actually still waiting to get my phone as the courier isn't especially good, and I wasn't in when they tried to delivery on the Tuesday, and recieved a letter on the Friday telling me I'd missed the delivery (Really don't know why they didn't just put a card through the door!!) and it's coming to me tomorrow
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Hmm. *ponders*
    You're welcome, hope you get it sorted.
    I recently bought Ndrive for my Pre2 and had an issue with the GPS so doctored. Same problem now - GPS comes and goes and the Ndrive app will not hold a signal. I used GPS Fix and GPS info but still no good. I hope there is an answer because Ndrive cost me 40 quid and it's just not usable.
    Are their problems with the Google maps app as well?
    I was thinking about doctoring again myself, but pensive because I only just got 2.1 set up the way I like it. Think I'll maybe give palm support a try and see what they think. To be honest, the only thing I really used it for was FourSquare, so it might be bearable until I can get my hands on a Pre3 :P