Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    sorry palm, but uv let me down. i loved my palm pre for about a year... but now im ****ed off with it (the lag, freezing, crappy battery, running hot, etc.)i want to throw it at a wall or better yet have the processor and battery get so hot it melts into soup!!! ...
    but anyway i was wondering if anyone if bell canada is flexible and would change my plan even from 3 years too 2??

loopholes or something ??

and also if anyone knows how much it is to get out of a contract with bell??

Thx
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE_Shields_PRE View Post
    sorry palm, but uv let me down. i loved my palm pre for about a year... but now im ****ed off with it (the lag, freezing, crappy battery, running hot, etc.)i want to throw it at a wall or better yet have the processor and battery get so hot it melts into soup!!! ...
    but anyway i was wondering if anyone if bell canada is flexible and would change my plan even from 3 years too 2??

loopholes or something ??

and also if anyone knows how much it is to get out of a contract with bell??

Thx
    Call *611 on your phone, tell them you're cancelling, then pay the ETF. 20 bucks a month for the remaining number of months, minimum $100.

Your agreement does not restrict you from changing your plan. The only thing you might have is a data agreement which is attached to contract smartphones, and there may be a DETF involved.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    You may want to try a Pre 2, either unlocked from HP or a Rogers locked version. I too had a Pre on Bell, and while I had overclocked it to 1.1 GHz, I also experienced lag and overall slowness on occasion. I put up with it because I loved the OS.

I recently bought a new-in-box Rogers Pre 2, unlocked it, got a Bell SIM card, and have it running on my Bell account.

I cannot believe the difference in speed and overall smoothness. The original Pre was obviously under-equipped to drive webOS, but on the Pre 2's hardware, it absolutely flies. I really thought I would experience similar speeds on the 1 GHz Pre 2 that I had on my 1.1 GHz Pre, but it is night and day.

You should be able to find a Craigslist Pre 2 for around $250. Unlocking is about $20 from DigitalUnlock. A SIM card from Bell is $5, and my store switch my account to the new SIM card for me for free.

If you don't like it, you could always resell your unlocked Pre 2 on Craigslist, and may be only out the cost of the SIM card. I would highly recommend it.
    reducing contract- I don't see that happening.

But unless i'm mistaken, you can upgrade ur phone after 2 years (renew another 3 year contract)
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite View Post
    You may want to try a Pre 2, either unlocked from HP or a Rogers locked version. I too had a Pre on Bell, and while I had overclocked it to 1.1 GHz, I also experienced lag and overall slowness on occasion. I put up with it because I loved the OS.

I recently bought a new-in-box Rogers Pre 2, unlocked it, got a Bell SIM card, and have it running on my Bell account.

I cannot believe the difference in speed and overall smoothness. The original Pre was obviously under-equipped to drive webOS, but on the Pre 2's hardware, it absolutely flies. I really thought I would experience similar speeds on the 1 GHz Pre 2 that I had on my 1.1 GHz Pre, but it is night and day.

You should be able to find a Craigslist Pre 2 for around $250. Unlocking is about $20 from DigitalUnlock. A SIM card from Bell is $5, and my store switch my account to the new SIM card for me for free.

If you don't like it, you could always resell your unlocked Pre 2 on Craigslist, and may be only out the cost of the SIM card. I would highly recommend it.
    yes, dont get me wrong i love webos its probably the best os out-there but like you said the original pre is under-equipped and has given webos a bad rep.

anyway... i would love to get a pre 2. and i hope i understood u right u said you bought a bell sim card and they moved ur plan to the sim card?!?!
    cause i have a $50 plan but i got the $15 off for buying the pre (which i thought was an amazing deal... no... the $15 is just a "ur phone is **** reward") so it is $35 a month. would i still get my discount if i move it to the sim card??
    yes, dont get me wrong i love webos its probably the best os out-there but like you said the original pre is under-equipped and has given webos a bad rep.

anyway... i would love to get a pre 2. and i hope i understood u right u said you bought a bell sim card and they moved ur plan to the sim card?!?!
    cause i have a $50 plan but i got the $15 off for buying the pre (which i thought was an amazing deal... no... the $15 is just a "ur phone is **** reward") so it is $35 a month. would i still get my discount if i move it to the sim card??
    Yes and no. There are mixed reports on HowardForums.

Most people have the best luck by buying a SIM at the Source or Wal-Mart (Bell stores won't sell you the card, insist you activate on the spot and charge you $20 for it) then do the switch on eCare.

Also one thing to note is, you are switching to the HSPA network. Bell clocks data properly there, so if you're used to ridiculously low data usage shown by Bell Self Serve, get ready to see that skyrocket. That's one reason why I'm swearing by my CDMA Pre Plus.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

You understood me correctly. Bell can simply transfer your plan to a SIM card. Bell sells the SIM for $5. I bought mine from The Source. They moved my account to the SIM for free. I had the option of taking the SIM home with me and moving my account to it myself using the Bell website. I believe a Bell Store charges for this service, although you might find some easy-going employee willing to do it for free. A Bell Store may not sell you the SIM card without activating it in the store.

Therefore, you will be able to keep your current plan. If you end up activating the card at a store, make sure you are emphatic that you do not want any changes made to your phone.

Regarding the data plan, I got in early on an unlimited data plan, so the difference in the way data it tracked, CDMA vs. HSPA, is irrelevant to me.

Hope that helps.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Amazing!! Thank you!! This will help. Hopefully I can get a cheap pre2 or something on craigslist. And the data thing won't really effect me too much I thing... Iv been tracking my data with netstat (with seems to wo work) and iv never gone over 400 of the 500mb (my also be cause I only get about 10min of surfing when I'm not pluged in..cough cough). Most of the time when in on the web I'm connected to wifi. I will try it out I will get a sim card and take it to a bell store first and see if I can get a nice employee.
    Amazing!! Thank you!! This will help. Hopefully I can get a cheap pre2 or something on craigslist. And the data thing won't really effect me too much I thing... Iv been tracking my data with netstat (with seems to wo work) and iv never gone over 400 of the 500mb (my also be cause I only get about 10min of surfing when I'm not pluged in..cough cough). Most of the time when in on the web I'm connected to wifi. I will try it out I will get a sim card and take it to a bell store first and see if I can get a nice employee.
    Assuming your join date was when you got it, your phone is still under warranty?

The heat issue you mentioned actually should be a warranty issue. I had that on my first one, and they replaced it. My third one is trouble-free.

My brother got out of Roger's Wireless contract no charge, about a year ago, and kept the phone. He said he was moving, for work, to the northern tip of Vancouver Island where there was no service. They dropped the cancellation fees. A month and a half later when he was done his job, he moved back to where he was and got a Telus phone.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Assuming your join date was when you got it, your phone is still under warranty?

The heat issue you mentioned actually should be a warranty issue. I had that on my first one, and they replaced it. My third one is trouble-free.
    yes, I believe I'm still under warrenty. Anyways though what is normal temperature of the cpu and battery on the pre??
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    also, bell sim cards say "enjoy 4g speeds" if i get a phone that is a 3g will it still work??
    yes, I believe I'm still under warrenty. Anyways though what is normal temperature of the cpu and battery on the pre??

My phone operates up to around 45 C under load, at least the current one. Nominal is under 35 C.

Old one the battery ran flat, put it on Touchstone, does nothing but heat up.

If you do plan on sending it back, don't bother mentioning what the temps are, because the only way to know the actual temperature is to install homebrew. You'll get even more hassles over that. Just tell them your phone is heating up quite badly and you thought it was going to be on fire.

also, bell sim cards say "enjoy 4g speeds" if i get a phone that is a 3g will it still work??
    There's no such thing as "4G" in Canada. The "4G" really is HSPA+, a mild evolution of HSPA which we come to know as 3G. Pre 2 is an HSPA phone.

Last time I heard about SIM compatibility issues was with phones almost 10 years ago, then when the newer UMTS phones came out, people tried reusing the cards from the old phone and that had compatibility issues. Mostly to do with the encryption on the card.