Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Hello

I am a great admirer of these forums having been a member for a while now but not actually owning any palm products.

I have been close to buying one on many ocassions, i have had a blackberry torch 9800 a google nexus one and now a samsung omnia 7.

My question now with the Palm Pre 3 coming out is it worth getting a Palm Pre Plus updating to webOS 2.0 and overclocking it to 1ghz instead of buying a Palm Pre 2?

Trying to find a used Palm Pre 2 in the UK unlocked is quite difficult thus this pushes the prices up to about the 300 mark which i cant afford.

Advice would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Matt
    If you need to get the phone right now, can't you get wait for Veer? Veer will get webOS 3.0 in the future. Otherwise Pre 2, also can be upgrade to 3.0.
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    No UK Networks will be carrying the Veer or the Pre 3 and no networks carry the Pre 2 either so buying on of them has to be unlocked which is costly.

The Pre Plus unlocke di can afford and was wondering is it worth it? I dont take pictures with my phone so the better camera on the Pre 2 doesnt bother me.
    If you can get the Pre+ off contract at less than 70 bucks, then yes, it's soooo worth it. I've got both, and my pre plus has 2.1 on it, and I'm running f104a 1.1 ondemand and it's zipppy as can be. Great great phone!

If you have to choose between Pre 2 w/ 2 yr contract or Pre + off contract, I'd say get the Pre 2 only if you know NOW you're not gonna need to get the Pre 3.

I personally feel that the Pre 2 will be just fine for me for a while, I can skip the Pre 3 and wait til there's more options in 2012.

If you choose to get the Pre+, then you'll definitely want to get the Pre 3. If you choose to get the Pre 2, remember that it demolishes the Pre+ in every way, shape, and form. The glass is spectacular, the slider is awesome, the processor / memory swap is super fast, it's like a pre on steroids.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Cant get a Pre 2 on contract only unlocked for about 350/$572

No UK Network will be carrying the Pre 3 or Veer so they also have to be purchased unlocked for about 400/$653

Can get a Pre Plus for 150/$245

I already have a UK Contract which has 20 months left to run.

Also another quick question which has maybe kept me from getting a Pre before is will the Pre Work on the UK HG3 (Three) Network?
    Sounds like you're in a tough pickle.

I would definitely say that if you're going to spend $245 on the Pre Plus, then skip the Pre Plus and get the Pre2. You'll get official updates all the way to WebOS 3.0.... that coupled with the speed and the glass face make it worth the $600. There's just too many bugs w/ the Pre+ and speed problems in 2.x to make me recommend it .....

...but if you can't afford the Pre 2 then you won't be disappointed with the Pre Plus.
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Any ideas where maybe i can get a pre 2 in the UK unlocked? Impoting from the US maybe? i have about 250 to spend max but dont wanna have to use it all.

Would it be worth just getting a Pre Plus and leaving it updated to 1.4.5.1 or is the extra benafits of 2.0/2.1 really worth it?

To be totally honest with you i dont know the benafits of 2.0/2.1 compared to 1.4.5.1 and what what bugs are there?
    You can check out the marketplace forum, I see Pre 2's there all the time. Ask nicely and there are plenty people here willing to ship outside the US. =) You can probably find one for anywhere between $300 - $350 - $375.

http://forums.precentral.net/general...ew-thread.html

http://forums.precentral.net/general...-bug-list.html

http://forums.precentral.net/general...ths-later.html

Benefits of 2.x in a nutshell from me: Stacks, Just Type, 2.x apps support (there's TONS of 2.x only apps, most are awesome), additional launcher page support, more data backed up in profile, Stacks, Stacks stacks....

If you are spending all that dough for the Pre2, might as well get the faster Pre3 as the technology is more likely to last through the remaining months of that 20 month contract than the slower Pre2.
    Or
    buy PrePlus and another [webOS] phone next year.
    As someone that owns both the Pre+ and the Pre2... if you can find a Pre2 you should get it. It's an amazing phone. An overclocked Plus isn't a bad phone, but the Pre2 is in a different class in many ways. I highly recommend it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    If you are spending all that dough for the Pre2, might as well get the faster Pre3 as the technology is more likely to last through the remaining months of that 20 month contract than the slower Pre2.
    Or
    buy PrePlus and another [webOS] phone next year.
    +1

Now that we have word that Pre3 will be arriving in June, then yeah, I agree go with the THREE!

Unless you.....

*puts on sunglasses*

Cantaffordit!

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    From what i've gathered i should spend the extra money on the Pre 2, i've managed to find a shop in the UK which had a Pre 2 in for 175 used in good condition which is pretty good going :-)

Now my only question before i go and spend some is i am currently on the Three network in the UK

Does the Palm Pre 2 support my network?
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    I've managed to get my hands on a Pre + for 50/$82.28 its apparently in very good condition and belongs to an o2 rep that was trained under the palm apprentice scheme that o2 ran here in the UK, Any one herd of like that before?

From what i've read around the forums now thanks for the links by the way. i dont think i will be updating to 2.0/2.1 dont think its worth the hassle. I Hope some UK network start to carry HP Phones and my 20 months left ill kick up a stink with 12 months left and hopefully get a Pre 3 I think the money being paid for a Pre + which still isnt a bad phone and to be honest with not being able to experience web OS 2.0/2.1 - 3.0 then i dont think ill miss the features to much

One final question is is there still a fair bit of support around for webOS 1.4.5/1.4.5.1 for the pre plus?
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    OK so got a Pre 2 for $300 anyone wanting a pre plus PM me

Just gotta wait for me Pre 2 to arrive from France now :-)