1.    #1  
    I have a refurbed Pre+ that I got from Gazelle on Ebay. No idea what it's previous life was like, but for the most part I run it on the stock kernel with 3 or 4 patches on 1.4.5. Haven't overclocked.

I was pretty happy with it, right up until the return period expired (a month and a week after I bought it exactly.)

Now it seems to sporadically lose the 3G connection. I know that phones reacquire signals all the time, but I now have noticeable moments where, in an area where I have full signal, 3G will suddenly drop out. It usually returns literally a minute later, but sometimes longer than that.

During this time Govnah reports that the drain on the battery doubles (up near 400mA), and uncommonly (I'd say once a day) 3G will persistently be absent for nearly five minutes or more. I now keep EVDO Options (code ##EVDO#) on speed dial to restart the modem, which usually resolves this problem.

At any rate, I no longer trust this Pre+ on Verizon's 3G. I've tried running Quick Tests and on occasion I receive "Modem Code 20" - a forum search shows that some people have had their 3G modem completely die on them and this is the result.

This Pre+ doesn't seem likely to die, just annoying likes to lose 3G just when I need to check my email or send a video or image over MMS.

Has anyone else experienced this, or have any suggestions?

(Aside: I don't have any odd patches other than disabling the battery warnings and logging. I run the phone on Hybrid EVDO, although I've tried switching to EVDO Rev 0 and EVDO Rev A Only, and these don't fix the problem - even on 1X Only, the phone will still periodically lose the data signal throughout the day and occasionally need a modem restart.)
    I had been having this problem. Did not run a Quick test. Now I am losing signal completely with my phone going offline like this thread "precentral.net/palm-pre/185980-phone-phone-offline-mode-antenna-shuts-off.html"

I do drop my phone a lot, so I think I maybe a have a problem with my radio from this.
  3.    #3  
    I haven't dropped the phone a lot.

The only thing unique I've done in the past two weeks (besides a lot of doctoring) is putting it in a GRT case. I actually thought perhaps the GRT case had helped me damage the slider, since (thanks to your linked thread) it did seem that the 3G cut out exactly a few seconds after I would open the slider and return a few seconds after I closed it.

Shame for this refurb Pre+ I suppose.
    I get this problem after I use an app like RadioTime for a while on Sprint. Typically, I'll use Internalz to restart Java and it's fine. Or a device reset brings it back.

I've had this happen on every single one of the Pres I've owned, btw. From my original one which was new, to every refurb I've had since.
  5.    #5  
    After a random doctor my 3G came back just fine for half an hour, slider open or closed.

...And now it's gone again. Very temperamental thing.
    Did you doctor to 2.1.0? My Pre+ gets 'Your phone could not establish a data connection (67)' a lot and if I do ##EVDO# to try and select a different option after a minute or two it dumps me out to an Emergency Mode screen. Is there a way to try and overwrite the modem firmware to get it working again? Redoctoring doesn't seem to change anything and the only version that I can get to complete is the metadoctor script to put it to 2.1.0.

edit: Showing Code 20 / Modem when running a quick test
    Last edited by kevets; 05/17/2011 at 03:06 PM.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    I had to just do a full full erase and solved the problem. No problems since. But was a strange experience.
  8.    #8  
    Now my problems are reversed. Whereas before the 3G would cut out if I opened the slider, now it only works when the slider is opened.

I can complete a redoctor without freezing at the modem-reflash if I keep the slider on the Pre+ open.

I did try the 2.1 metadoctor, but these problems actually started before that. I actually figured "what the heck, maybe the 2.1 metadoctor would work better" and thought I'd try it. It worked alright, but I noticed that the battery life was a lot worse. So I doctored back to 1.4.5.

The 3G signal loss/reconnection clearly seems to be linked to the slider...only now it's happening in reverse. Maybe there's a wire lose in there or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by twilightomni View Post
    Now my problems are reversed. Whereas before the 3G would cut out if I opened the slider, now it only works when the slider is opened.

I can complete a redoctor without freezing at the modem-reflash if I keep the slider on the Pre+ open.

I did try the 2.1 metadoctor, but these problems actually started before that. I actually figured "what the heck, maybe the 2.1 metadoctor would work better" and thought I'd try it. It worked alright, but I noticed that the battery life was a lot worse. So I doctored back to 1.4.5.

The 3G signal loss/reconnection clearly seems to be linked to the slider...only now it's happening in reverse. Maybe there's a wire lose in there or something.
    What if you can't complete a redoctor without freezing part way through? The 2.1 metadoctor completes but modem doesn't work and even the ModemFW Flash errored out. So frustrating...
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
  10.    #10  
    Well, if the Doctor freezes at the reflashing part, I believe that at that point the basic software has already been written. The only thing left to do was reset the modem, so even if it can't do that, the phone is probably functional.

I usually just do a battery-pull reset or a three-silent-toggle+power reset and go on my way. Not sure if that's the best policy though.

Lately I've told the metadoctor script to stop reflashing the modem, which skips the whole part where it freezes trying to talk to the modem chip.