Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Can someone please tell me how to turn off the GPS? I looked under Location services but there seems to be no clear "GPS on" "GPS off" switch there!

Many thanks!
    While viewing the Location Services app click on preferences on the top left and select the "locate me using" option. Uncheck GPS and it's off.
    Easiest is to get the app called Quick System Tasks. Cooler method is to have the "Advanced" patches that include putting the GPS radio on the device menu and an icon in the top bar when it's running.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    ...Cooler method is to have the "Advanced" patches that include putting the GPS radio on the device menu and an icon in the top bar when it's running.
    Yep. Also having the advanced patches (advanced system prefs - system prefs patch) also adds a global on/off toggle right in the Location Services app main scene for easy on/off instead of having to tap GPS/Google services in the app menu.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Cool, thanks for all those options!
    I've been wandering around with the gps on ALL the time since I got the phone a few days ago.
    No wonder my battery life blows. DOH!
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeyJay View Post
    Cool, thanks for all those options!
    I've been wandering around with the gps on ALL the time since I got the phone a few days ago.
    No wonder my battery life blows. DOH!
    GPS active still goes to sleep when no application is requesting this data. It really doesn't tend to eat up battery unless you are actively using it (like in a navigation application).

What does tend to be a hog that is harder to find is synergy. Your synchronization to applications and emails etc will use a lot of data which will eat up a lot of power.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Thx. Still struggling with battery life issues - wasn't the GPS after all.
    Yesterday it lasted from 5:30 am to 7pm and still had 60% power. Today it's been on from 7am to 8:30am and it's already down to 72%!! wish I understood what is going on...
    I'm having the same problem. This is the first day i'm using the pre 2 and the phone battery life just drop like nobody's business. At 3pm in the afternoon, it's already 29%.

What i think contributed to the problem was
    - turn on GPS (and not knowing how to turn it off)
    - downloading geo location apps
    - 3G turned on until 50% (which no improvement even after i switch to 2G)
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Wow - the Quick System Tasks app looks incredibly useful! I could uninstall some patches once I install it. Thanks, guys!

Also, GPS does not really use much juice - the phone only needs to act as a receiver, it's the transmitting bit that's usually power-consuming. Unless you are using the Google Services for location too (can be disabled in Location Services top-left menu ("Locate me using" option).
    Quote Originally Posted by MsbS View Post
    Wow - the Quick System Tasks app looks incredibly useful! I could uninstall some patches once I install it. Thanks, guys!

Also, GPS does not really use much juice - the phone only needs to act as a receiver, it's the transmitting bit that's usually power-consuming. Unless you are using the Google Services for location too (can be disabled in Location Services top-left menu ("Locate me using" option).
    I notice the battery drains a lot faster with GPS on, but that's my Pre- OC'd to 1.1. Either way, regardless of the OC, it drains noticeably faster with GPS on for me.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I notice the battery drains a lot faster with GPS on, but that's my Pre- OC'd to 1.1. Either way, regardless of the OC, it drains noticeably faster with GPS on for me.
    Oh, ok. I thought it should use little power, but I never checked it on my own. Guess I need to run some little tests on my Pre+.
    I have also found on my Pre- the GPS drains the battery a good amount. Not to sure about the Pre+ though.
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

If any of my posts help you please thank me!!