1.    #1  
    For the past few weeks, my Pre has been losing all service during the afternoon hours. I don't have an exact time frame because I work at night, and it happens while I sleep. But when I wake up around 7pm, I notice my phone always says "Searching..." with zero reception.

I usually do a soft reset and it comes back, whether I'm roaming (usually in forced roam) or not. I'm wondering if this is Sprint's way of telling me to stop Roam Only. I don't keep it on all the time though, who knows. I admit, I've put this Pre through tons of abuse, but nothing really damaging since this issue started.

I have a few patches (advanced behaviors, top bar patches) and homebrew apps that have never caused this issue before, so I don't believe it's anything I've installed.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem on their Pre. I noticed a thread from a few years ago about the same problem with a Treo, but there was nothing helpful or informational in there.
    When I had a problem like that a while back, it was due to the PRL list being out dated. Why do you keep your phone in Roam-Only mode? Also, do you have a lot of apps that eat through data when the phone is on? Like weather apps that download updates every set-amount of minutes? Maybe they are causing issues with your phone losing it's signal. I would suggest updating your PRL before looking at other issues though.
    Last edited by the2ndflood; 05/09/2011 at 09:36 PM.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

I am having this problem too. Others are now also. I have no solution, but thought it maybe an antenna problem. I have updated my prl in the last 2 days so can't be that unless the prl had bad info
    This just happened to me. I doctored the phone as well, but it still says "Searching..." constantly.

If it is a radio problem, is it something on the comm board? I have a Sprint Pre+...so I don't know if I need to get another Pre+ or another Pre- if it doesn't start working right.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    So far I have found that the problem could be a software issue with the radio. I also had the problem of my computer not seeing my phone for it to go into usb mode. Finally found I needed to pop my phone in and out of developer mode. Now I am able to Run the WebOS Repair Utility "forums.precentral.net/canuck-coding/236486-webos-repair-utility-v2-1-a.html" . This should restore the radio software that may be causing this issue without me losing any data like doctoring or a reset (partial/or full) would do. It is taking over 30mins so far for it to go through and replace files, but I am hopeful when it's done my phone will be up and running. I also took the step of copying the palmdatabase.db3 file just in case from this thread "forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/187145-how-back-up-text-messages-when-exchanging-phones.html" Will update with results...
    Update: Did not work went to partial erase option.
    Last edited by trowany; 05/10/2011 at 02:49 PM.
    happened to me, I accidentally switched on the app that puts my Pre into airplane mode.
    Tried above in combination with trying to put phone in and out of airplane mode. No success. I am going to do full erase when phone charges back up. Sad day for me, if I am unable to save one specific text thread....But will happen if I upgrade anyway...
    So I went and erased everything with the secure full erase. I could not backup before hand so I am saved up till last month. For some reason my palm backup was not up to date, but most contacts restored. Will see what happens when I restore the database file. I made peace with losing the texts so at least I have my phone back...
    Last edited by trowany; 05/13/2011 at 09:50 AM.
    Took all day, but finally back where I need to be. Saving the database file helped because I could no longer download the pre backup utility.

Update: Found out later that the Pre Backup Utility had some problems and is not longer available. I had been using it frequently. Phone seems to be working faster then ever. I had to redownload patches and discovered lots of new ones. I was sad to see that a lot aren't available anymore or have updated to work beyond 1.4.5, but I am a little more happy with the phone.
    Last edited by trowany; 05/13/2011 at 09:54 AM.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    update your PRL via phone pref
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziplock View Post
    update your PRL via phone pref
    What do you mean?
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    im assuming your on 1.4.5 goto your phone app then top left options and select preferences and the bottom it will have a button that says update PRL ... press that and bam your good to go.
    im assuming your on 1.4.5 goto your phone app then top left options and select preferences and the bottom it will have a button that says update PRL ... press that and bam your good to go.
    A lot of People would be surprised at how many issues can come from the PRL being outdated or hampered in some way. The PRL tells your phone what network to use in a given area. So it is very important to keep it up to date. I update mine once a month. Even though new PRL's only come out ever 3 to 6 months or so. I still like to be prepared.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

I never heard of that button before. I don't have this. I assume it's beacuse of one of my patches.
    Quote Originally Posted by trowany View Post
    I never heard of that button before. I don't have this. I assume it's beacuse of one of my patches.
    I believe this is for CDMA only.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    I believe this is for CDMA only.
    I have a Verizon Pre+, wonder what else am I missing?
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    @trowany are you running 2.1 or 1.4.5?
    Quote Originally Posted by trowany View Post
    I have a Verizon Pre+, wonder what else am I missing?
    Verizon phones don't have the "update PRL" button like Sprint phones do. To update your PRL on verizon, you make a phone call. Seriously. Here are the instructions: Answers to FAQs
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I am running 1.4.5 I knew how to update the prl. A button for it is a cool idea though...