Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was traveling today and was in a low coverage area. Not surprisingly, my battery drained. However, after plugging it in I discovered it was still draining while charging (in the car), even after I put the phone in airplane mode. It is doing the same thing with both batteries I had with me. Govnah is showing like -1300 drain when not in airplane mode. It is ranging from -100 or so to 0 drain while charging, but little or no charge.

Any ideas?
    What kind of Pre?
  3.    #3  
    Sprint Pre -. The only kind of Sprint Pre there is, unfortunately! It is almost like something got stuck while it was in low coverage and it is eating up the battery. Don't see anything odd in Lumberjack or JStop.
    Wow... that happens to me only when overclocked, tethering with both bluetooth and Wifi in a low coverage area!!!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  5.    #5  
    I haven't had the phone offline problem with this Pre. Earlier ones did it, but always recovered. What's weird is that it started happening while the phone was sitting by itself not doing anything. Nothing was changed.
    i've had a similar problem. for me I found the problem for me was usually the wifi antenna constantly trying and failing to log onto a network. In my case the wifi router/my local starbucks router. it would just annihilate the battery. even plugged in it would drain maybe in one hour. off charge maybe 35 minutes. for me somehow the wifi log in got screwed up so it just sat their continually trying and failing to log onto my router. I deleted the setting and started over. it also did the same thing to disable wifi but logic would say the problem would exist once you turned it on til you sorted out your settings.

I'd try that. it's the only thing that i've tried that, to the best of my knowledge, worked. Honestly i've had lots of issues with this phone so i'm open to the fact that that may not have been the real issue but since i did that my battery life has been ok. So i think that was the culprit. hope that gives you some ideas. if not good luck anyways.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Blackmagic, I turned off WiFi yesterday when I first noticed the issue and tinkered with all that. No luck.

I finally doctored the phone last night and it is STILL doing it even after that.

Any other ideas?
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    From all you've told us, only things I can think of is try a fresh new battery or it's hardware malfunction and try to get a replacement.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    sounds like the OP needs a new battery. Try the app called Dr.Battery to re-calibrate the battery and check battery health.

a new battery on amazon.com is less than $5 so it's good to have a few around.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Blackmagic, I turned off WiFi yesterday when I first noticed the issue and tinkered with all that. No luck.

I finally doctored the phone last night and it is STILL doing it even after that.

Any other ideas?
    sorry that wasn't the problem. I thought it might not be. As i said i'm not 100% sure it was my problem but since i've done it it's been fine for several months.

But i have had your problem on several occasions. But that's the only thing i can think of. I did once suspect an app i installed for draining the battery. That was a concert search app that i downloaded when it first came out long long ago. No clue if it was the real culprit but maybe there is a recently installed app that is the culprit. Just don't know. sorry i didn't work.

PS: just for the record. I didn't just turn the wifi off. I actually deleted whatever wifi log on info that was there. Doesn't seem like it should matter though if it's off. But hey i did it so i'll mention it. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    sounds like the OP needs a new battery. Try the app called Dr.Battery to re-calibrate the battery and check battery health.

a new battery on amazon.com is less than $5 so it's good to have a few around.
    actually i was thinking this too but didn't write it cause i wasn't sure it happens with cell phones.

But my hp laptop went from a 3.5 hour battery life for a few years to 40 minutes to 20 minutes in like a week. Seems the battery is dyeing. And it no longer will hold a full charge. It's keeps holding less and less. But one thing i saw in trouble shooting was the calibration issue. For my laptop they suggested the battery may be good but calibrated poorly and suggested letting it run out completely the fully charging.

maybe try that with the phone. just leave it on until it dies completely. Then fully charge it. Honestly i'm just brainstorming. But the above post made me reconsider mentioning it. And if like my laptop, the battery is actually dead maybe you could test it with a spare battery in a sprint store or something to see if it drains just as fast from a full charge. maybe the battery is just going bad.
  12.    #12  
    Definitely not a battery issue either--all three of my batteries are doing the same thing. Not a program, either, as it is still doing it after doctoring. Think I'm going to bag Sprint and jump to verizon for a Pre 2 tomorrow, since I've had enough of trying my luck with this ancient hardware.
    1. try doctoring the phone - have found need to do that every 3-6 months. It will be like new again. Strange drain problems I have seen that occur. Redoctoring = like new again. Run without any patches afterwards
    2. fresh battery but it sounds like you've tried that.
    3. after re-doctoring make sure IM-chat is off in the messaging app. Brightness to low.
    fresh battery first. Doctoring is more drastic and shouldnt be the first thing to try.
    Only other thing I can suggest is to make sure that the antennas are actually connected. See this picture to find where the antennas connect to the comms board:

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/q...fUSWhZ5VB.huge

Maybe make sure that they're solidly seated.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I bet you're on 1.4.5
    Does this happen with the wallcharger as well?
    It could be the car charger.
  18.    #18  
    Happens with all chargers, all batteries and still doing it even after Doctoring. It also does it while the phone is in airplane mode, so I would think that discounts the disconnected antenna theory, no?

I just got back from Verizon, where I ordered a Pre 2. So, I'll be making that switch awaiting the Touchpad and Pre 3 over there.
    three batteries damn. Well sucks that that wasn't the problem. Yeah when it was happening to me it was in the wall charger not a touchstone. sorry you couldn't fix it though.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I used to have the negative charge happen often, more so on the touchstone and on occasion on the car charger. I have never figured out what was causing this issue, however on the touchstone it appeared it would do it if I didn't have the phone seated properly. I haven't had the issue much at all in the last several months though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast