Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey! :/

So I was texting on my phone and set it down on my desk (Screen was up) somehow knocked it off the desk and it landed on the screen. The screen came off the hinge and the screen was still on. I turned off the phone and tried putting the screen back on the railing. I did and i turned the phone back on, and it wouldnt turn on! I checked the cables and one is broken. Here are sme pictures:

It looks like the bottom cable(s) are still attached. but the top cables are a nono :/

Can this be fixed? At&t wants me to pay them 340 dollars for a refurbished one!

Thank you!
    Last edited by bioshock.rocks; 04/29/2011 at 03:45 PM.
    If that's the slide rail flex ribbon cable, you can get it here for ~$12. If it's the LCD ribbon, meaning you need to buy another LCD assembly, you can get one from the same site for ~$72. Since you have the parts in hand, check that site and see which part it is you need to replace. It will be far cheaper to repair it yourself than pay that kind of money. Plus, you can get a new Pre Plus on Ebay for $100, and good condition used ones for a good chunk less. In other words, don't pay $340 for a refurb. Refurbs suck.
    It appears to be the flex cable coming from the camera/volume/vibration assembly that is ripped, but that shouldn't prevent you from turning it on... something else is broken too.
    Palm Pre 2 on Sprint
    I would tell at&t that a ribbon cable should never fatigue or break like that.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    My ribbon is broken on my Pre rev. 1. It's not the camera ribbon, it's the other one that connects the GPS/Antenna board to the motherboard...comes out of the mirror plate right next to the camera ribbon.

I've got spare parts to fix it, but I'm baffled at how you're supposed to install/remove one of these ribbons. They pass through the metal plate and appear to be attached somehow from the inside.

[Edit]

Nevermind, it was just glued.
    If it's the camera flex ribbon (it looks like that may be it), then this part will be what you need.
  7.    #7  
    Thank you all for your replys i am going to atempt to dissasemble and post some pictures, i think the other cable that is still attached is for the keyboard. the other 2 cables that broke maybe the screen (eek) and the camera. Is there any other way of fixing those ribbons at home?

(The reason why i'm stressing about getting it done asap is because i'm currently on a WebOS project with translating the whole 2.1 os to portuguese)

thanks!
    I'm not sure how the flex is physically assembled to the connector. If you can take pictures of the mating surfaces and post them, I can tell you if it can be fixed. Some flex cables are attached to the connector piece via a small surface mount connector that you pull a plastic piece away from then slide the cable into the gap and push the locking mechanism back in place.

Pics are the fastest way for me to determine this. Others may know from experience.
  9.    #9  
    here is a picture that shows everything (Sorry for the large picture i want you guys to have full details)

where the barcode is at ontop is where the connector is broken.

Here is a picture of the connectors broken:
    Last edited by bioshock.rocks; 04/29/2011 at 09:50 PM.
    Palm Pre Teardown - Page 2 - iFixit <-- good reference.

Those large ribbons will just pop right off the board, no problem.

It looks like the non-camera ribbon has a tear in it and might need to be replaced too. I would find a pre with a cracked screen (or similar) and harvest it for parts.

Or you can but a new unlocked Pre2 off of ebay for about $300 new
    Palm Pre 2 on Sprint
    If you can get your hands on a cheap Pre 2, get it. If you can't, get a Pre with a broken screen and salvage the parts from it like runtimmyc said.
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by runtimmyc View Post
    Palm Pre Teardown - Page 2 - iFixit <-- good reference.

Those large ribbons will just pop right off the board, no problem.

It looks like the non-camera ribbon has a tear in it and might need to be replaced too. I would find a pre with a cracked screen (or similar) and harvest it for parts.

Or you can but a new unlocked Pre2 off of ebay for about $300 new

Thats the guide i was going with :P

The non-camera ribbon doesnt have a tear, It was just folded a little bit. (no exposed wiring)

I'm now confused. I took the flex cable that wasnt broken off, and i see the cable that was broken is attached to the camera aswell?

Will I need this

Palm Pre Plus Camera Flex Cable Ribbon ?
    Judging from the pictures, it appears that the ribbon cable has been severed. While it is technically possible to fix it, the fix is ugly, complex, and not conducive to the cable freely sliding about within the slider mechanism.

At this point, it appears that this is in fact the camera assembly's flex. I would do the cheapest thing possible and purchase one from the site I sent you. It's the only one I know that has all of these parts. That assembly there is available and cheaper than trying to buy a broken Pre on the internet. Plus, with that part, you are guaranteed to be getting a new part, and you can easily return it if it doesn't work.

Sorry for your luck on the damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by bioshock.rocks View Post
    Yes, at a minimum you will need one of those.

You could check to see if the rest of you phone is working by putting it together and trying to charge the phone. The screen should turn on and everything should works, sans camera/vibration/etc...

edit: the reason why it didn't turn on before was because the power button is part of the camera/vibration/etc assembly
    Last edited by runtimmyc; 04/29/2011 at 10:57 PM.
    Palm Pre 2 on Sprint
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Judging from the pictures, it appears that the ribbon cable has been severed. While it is technically possible to fix it, the fix is ugly, complex, and not conducive to the cable freely sliding about within the slider mechanism.

At this point, it appears that this is in fact the camera assembly's flex. I would do the cheapest thing possible and purchase one from the site I sent you. It's the only one I know that has all of these parts. That assembly there is available and cheaper than trying to buy a broken Pre on the internet. Plus, with that part, you are guaranteed to be getting a new part, and you can easily return it if it doesn't work.

Sorry for your luck on the damage.
    ahh okay, thank you! Is there any other place where i can get the part? I only need one, and minimum order is 2 making that $44,96 with shipping (it's not my money, Still under my parents wallet. thats why im concerned xD)
    search 'palm pre parts' on ebay and you will see a ton of broken pres that will go for about $15 shipped
    I find it hard to believe. I've been droping my pre for 2 years now and the screen has never came off. You can tell the truth in the forum. You were trying to take it off and you broke the cable when it popped. We don't care. This isn't at&t
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by runtimmyc View Post
    Yes, at a minimum you will need one of those.

You could check to see if the rest of you phone is working by putting it together and trying to charge the phone. The screen should turn on and everything should works, sans camera/vibration/etc...

edit: the reason why it didn't turn on before was because the power button is part of the camera/vibration/etc assembly
    Phone still turns on! Ill put it back completely and ill report back.

19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    I find it hard to believe. I've been droping my pre for 2 years now and the screen has never came off. You can tell the truth in the forum. You were trying to take it off and you broke the cable when it popped. We don't care. This isn't at&t
    haha! I know, I dropped my phone many times, and never has it broke (You can see by the crack on my LCD side in one of my pictures) But i was on the downstairs computer, and downstairs has concrete floors with that laminate wanna-be tile, and i was texting, left it open and it fell from the desk.

EDIT: After putting the palm pre plus back together, whenever i slide down, the screen still comes off the hinges. What needs to be tightened? the 'railing'?
    Last edited by bioshock.rocks; 04/30/2011 at 12:33 AM.
    Check the slider mechanism, it is most likely loose, or the plastic stoppers at the top of the keyboard half of the slider could be worn away. Basically, check the distance between the two sliding halves, there may be a bigger space that was not there before.
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast