1.    #1  
    i am headed to Mexico for a week. Sprint has service but it charges for receiving emails even if you dont open them. i get about 50 emails a day and i dont want to get charged for them

can i do something to turn off the emails. Sprint has a package for talk and txt but not for data
    You can set your email to refresh on Manual setting only and then not open the email app.
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    There could be other data though. When travelling to Mexico I set my phone in Airplane mode then turn on wifi. If I want to make calls I make sure I shut data off instead of airplane mode, leaving the phone radio active.

Also, for added insurance, set your emails to manual update. Never hurts to be thorough.
    Dan
    In the phone app you can just turn off the 3G radio... and there are several patches that put that setting on the devices menu.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I disable data roaming so I am not charged while in Japan using Sprint. Go to phone preferences and disable data roaming BEFORE you get to Mexico You can still use wifi to download your email. And have a Tecate for me.
  6.    #6  
    i just put the emails on manual and wont open it.

thanks
  7.    #7  
    if i receive emails they will charge me for each one and some are just business alerts that i can do without for a week.

so if i use Wifi to get emails i will get charged for them and that is what i want to avoid. i will pay the 10.00 for calls and txting i just dont want the emails
    Sorry for asking. You get charged only for emails?
    In EU we get charged an arm and a leg for every data used.
    EDIT: If rooming in another country.
  9.    #9  
    i was told by Sprint that i can get a call and txt package for an extra 10.00 but that didnt include data like emails
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Amos View Post
    i was told by Sprint that i can get a call and txt package for an extra 10.00 but that didnt include data like emails
    That makes sense to me. In EU SMS and phone calls are completely different than data.
    That means: Be careful about data usage. You know that the device e.g makes an backup every day? That will use data. And that would cost me a lot of bugs if I where in some other country. And also the web. Do you think you donÄt have to pay alot browsing the web?
  11.    #11  
    no i am sure i would pay alot for emails and web browsing. any data stuff will cost a bunch is why i want to turn off my email account. i just put it on maunal and wont open my email account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Amos View Post
    no i am sure i would pay alot for emails and web browsing. any data stuff will cost a bunch is why i want to turn off my email account. i just put it on maunal and wont open my email account
    That is the wrong answer.
    You need to turn off ALL DATA not the email.
    This is what all of the previous posters suggested!
  13.    #13  
    if i turn the phone onto airplane mode as soon as i turn off airplane mode then the emails will come flooding in and i will get charged. if i turn the email onto manual and dont open it and i dont open up the web browser then i should get any data chagers correct?

i really really dont know what i am doing.

i was told i can get a talk and txt deal for an additional 10.00 but it doesnt include data. so if i turned off my email how will i get charged for any data?

and HUGE question is, how do i turn off everything except txt and talk?
    You need to turn off data by:
    Open the phone app.
    Select in the app menu (uper left) "Settings and Accounts"
    Scroll down to "data using" and switch it to off.

You are right that when you turn it on you get your emails as well.
    So you should set all email account to manual.

This all was posted already.

(I dont have an englisch version running. Your text may be different in the menus. Use your imagination)
    One more thing:

I did this exactly that way during a trip to Austria and I had no unwanted data traffic.
    Go into Preware (if you have it) and download a patch that puts a data toggle on your system menu. Use it to disable your 3g connection when you enter a roaming network.

You can also go into the dialer and click on the top left menu and hit 'preferences and accounts' scroll down and turn off 'data roaming' or turn off 'data usage'.

You WILL be charged for data as the Pre backs up data DAILY to your palm profile when you exit airplane mode with a 3g connection enabled. Turn off your data connection as I said in the above sentences and you will be fine. (It will still run a backup on WiFi.)

EDIT: You can still receive emails by using WiFi.
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
  17.    #17  
    thanks everyone
    I guess you know you need to turn off data, and not just use the manual setting on emails, right???

Also, you can connect to any wi-fi connection and then send and receive emails and use the internet without using or even turning on your phone data connection.