View Poll Results: If you have a Pre+ have you had keyboard problems and have you reported this to VZW?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have had Pre+ keyboard problems and reported them to VZW - device replaced.

6 26.09%
  • I have had Pre+ keyboard problems and reported them to VZW - device not replaced.

2 8.70%
  • I have had Pre+ keyboard problems and have not reported them to VZW.

11 47.83%
  • I have not had Pre+ keyboard problems.

4 17.39%
  • I have a Pre-, Pre2, or something other than a Pre+.

0 0%
  • I am Spartacus!

0 0%
  • None of the above apply see answer in thread.

0 0%
  1.    #1  
    I know most of you with Verizon Pre Plus phones have heard of keyboard problems - today VZW claimed they have no knowledge of this when I got ready to replace my wife's and my devices for the 2nd time in the warranty period.

How many of you out there have reported this to VZW? How many of you have bothered to replace your phones? Has this helped?

This makes the 2nd PAIR of phones that my wife and I have had to replace for the same reason.
    My 4th pre-plus finally has a good working keyboard.
    Some of the Verizon keyboards were contaminated causing problems. You can take them apart and clean them (or replace the keyboard) but if they are under warranty, Verizon should replace them. You will have to hope the replacement has a good keyboard. There is a thread about this.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Some of the Verizon keyboards were contaminated causing problems. You can take them apart and clean them (or replace the keyboard) but if they are under warranty, Verizon should replace them. You will have to hope the replacement has a good keyboard. There is a thread about this.
    Link? I know there is a link about the potential repair if that's what you mean. This was intended to find out if VZW is off their rocker - this lady swore she had never heard of the problem. I was stunned. I mentioned that I had replaced the first two phones with this same problem - silence. I mentioned that I had reported the problem but not replaced the phone once before - silence, then a question of why I didn't replace then - My answer was - the hassle of redoing things. I tried to live with it - but it's worse.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    My first Pre+ lasted 4 days before I took it back because of keyboard issues. The replacement was very good until it developed the USB crack issue after about 7 months. My 3rd Pre+ has had an occasional sticky key issue and also a little more oreo effect than the others. Plan to replace it before my warranty expires in May.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
    I had the problem and considered taking it in, but then I had a couple of drops to the pavement, scuffing the corner where the power button is (I swear that this phone's power button is a pavement seeking missile, as every pavement drop has hit that corner!). Eventually I got tired of the issue and researched it some more, finding the thread about the keyboard being contaminated, and people opening the phone up and fixing the issue.

So I did just that. I found some residue (looked like wash processed flux residue to me - being in the electronics manufacturing business and all). I cleaned it and the domes off with alcohol, and the keyboard hasn't failed me since. Been like a new keyboard. If only my slider mechanism was still tight (dang pavement!).
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    I had the problem and considered taking it in, but then I had a couple of drops to the pavement, scuffing the corner where the power button is (I swear that this phone's power button is a pavement seeking missile, as every pavement drop has hit that corner!). Eventually I got tired of the issue and researched it some more, finding the thread about the keyboard being contaminated, and people opening the phone up and fixing the issue.

So I did just that. I found some residue (looked like wash processed flux residue to me - being in the electronics manufacturing business and all). I cleaned it and the domes off with alcohol, and the keyboard hasn't failed me since. Been like a new keyboard. If only my slider mechanism was still tight (dang pavement!).
    How do you take it apart and clean it?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    The keyboard consists of a flex PCB, which has the 2 contacts that need to be shorted to register a keystroke, and a white membrane with the keys and domes that have a metal foil pad in the top of the dome which is what shorts the PCB contacts when you press the key down. So you follow the tear down instructions on the net to get to the keyboard and then you peel the key membrane off the flex PCB. It uses a sticky adhesive to adhere to the flex, and will take a removal or two (you can also buy new ones if need be).

As mentioned before, the contamination was on the flex and I used isopropyl alcohol with a q-tip to remove the stuff. I also lightly cleaned the domes on the membrane as well to be sure nothing cross contaminated. It all came off without too much effort. You do need to be careful not to leave lint on either surface. Then you have to make sure you put it back together correctly. Not too difficult, but I have experience in manufacturing at multiple levels, so I may be biased.