1.    #1  
    I had an orginal Sprint Pre over a year ago and have now stashing away my iPhone4 to go back to some good ole webOS goodness. I got some major concerns however, been out of the community for a long time. My device this time is a at&t pre plus.

- webOS version- From what I was reading a lot of the great new features came out on 2.0. Can the Pre Plus do 2.0?

- I rely HEAVLY on Google Voice, is there any native apps for this, I dont see any official google app...
    Trying to give back for all the awesome help I have received. If anything I post is of any use, please hit the thanks button!
    Quote Originally Posted by gianthobbit View Post
    I had an orginal Sprint Pre over a year ago and have now stashing away my iPhone4 to go back to some good ole webOS goodness. I got some major concerns however, been out of the community for a long time. My device this time is a at&t pre plus.

- webOS version- From what I was reading a lot of the great new features came out on 2.0. Can the Pre Plus do 2.0?

- I rely HEAVLY on Google Voice, is there any native apps for this, I dont see any official google app...
    2.1 is available through a webos-internals meta-doctor/custom doctor process, yes. I think it is worth it, but i like fiddling with my phone. If you want stable and solid stick with 1.4.5. WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals

Voogle is a google voice app that is pretty good. I haven't used it myself, but many others are, i believe. Its the only game in town as far as i know.
    If you need help with the 2.1 upgrade, PM me
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    the OP should seriously look for an unlocked GSM Pre2 to run on AT&T. It's fantastic hardware.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    2.1 is available through a webos-internals meta-doctor/custom doctor process, yes. I think it is worth it, but i like fiddling with my phone. If you want stable and solid stick with 1.4.5. WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals

Voogle is a google voice app that is pretty good. I haven't used it myself, but many others are, i believe. Its the only game in town as far as i know.
    Thanks for the feedback, I will read up on the upgrade path to 2.0 tonight, I get the device tomorrow.

I messaged the dev of Voogle to get into the beta for v2, which support notifications (a must). Hopefully can get that working.

Thanks again, forgot how much I loved the Palm community.
    Trying to give back for all the awesome help I have received. If anything I post is of any use, please hit the thanks button!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the OP should seriously look for an unlocked GSM Pre2 to run on AT&T. It's fantastic hardware.
    If I could find one at a very cheap price I defiantly would, at this point however I don't see the point with Pre3 being so close. I'm seriously debating trading in my iPhone4 for the Pre3 and this is kind of like a trial run.

P.S. I did a "trial" run on android a few weeks ago (Atrix) and it was disastrous (second time trying android). Long story but it was clunky and crashy...
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Just did some quick searching on the pre2, kind of hard to find as it is not sold directly via carriers.

I am not the most comfortable with eBay but I am going to monitor some bids and see if i can get is for around $250, otherwise I will wait until the pre3 comes out most likely.

I saw this, a buy it now Pre2 for $250, seems to good to be true, Palm Pre 2 - Unlocked - AT&T or T-Mobile GSM - MINT | eBay

Any thoughts?
    Just did some quick searching on the pre2, kind of hard to find as it is not sold directly via carriers.

I am not the most comfortable with eBay but I am going to monitor some bids and see if i can get is for around $250, otherwise I will wait until the pre3 comes out most likely.

I saw this, a buy it now Pre2 for $250, seems to good to be true, Palm Pre 2 - Unlocked - AT&T or T-Mobile GSM - MINT | eBay

Any thoughts?
    Unless you're going to keep it, or have money to burn i'd stick with the Pre+ for now. It'll let you get the hang of webOS again until the Veer or Pre3 come out. Veer could be sweet, IMO.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    Unless you're going to keep it, or have money to burn i'd stick with the Pre+ for now. It'll let you get the hang of webOS again until the Veer or Pre3 come out. Veer could be sweet, IMO.
    When they come out... I think I would definitely go with the pre vs. the veer. To bad HP could not capitalize on the iPhone5 being delayed and launch on all carriers right NOW...

Sound advice btw, I think I will stick with the Plus for now.
  10.    #10  
    Ok got my pre plus, quick question. I noticed that even if you get webOS 2.0 on the device you can't install web 2.0 apps. Does this make it not even worth it then?
    Ok got my pre plus, quick question. I noticed that even if you get webOS 2.0 on the device you can't install web 2.0 apps. Does this make it not even worth it then?
    If you upgrade, you will be upgrading to 2.1. Most apps and patches are compatible. You shouldnt run into any problems finding apps.
    I don't think that 2.1 on AT&T has support for 2.1 apps unfortunately. It is something server side which was changed for Verizon and Sprint, but not AT&T (at least last i heard. Perhaps this has changed.)

You'll still be able to buy 1.4.5 apps though. And some of the developers have a web version of their apps for people who bring Pre+'s to 2.1 (Music Player Remix for one).
    practice what you preach !! please
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  14.    #14  
    Update:

Sad to say this but I am already back to the iPhone 4... The lack of DropBox, Auidble, and Google Voice (Voogle does not cut it...) forced my hand here... I LOVE webOS but I really felt like I was taking a huge step back (and many ways I was, the Pre Plus is really about 2 year old hardware...).

I handed it off to my friend who was using a Samsung BlackJack and he is super happy with it so far. His smartphone was not able to do email, take pictures, and was having issues with text. This was a huge upgrade for him.

I am still super pumped for the pre3 but sadly unless HP can court more developer support IMO it could be DOA... The fact that Google has not taken the liberty to create a native GV app for WebOS is very troubling...
    I can understand getting dependent on a certain os's capabilities (google voice). My wife has new hardware (droid 2). For my requirements, webOS is all I need and what I want.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by leebae View Post
    I can understand getting dependent on a certain os's capabilities (google voice). My wife has new hardware (droid 2). For my requirements, webOS is all I need and what I want.
    Totally agree, I wish my needs would fit with webOS. This is no doubt a huge upgrade for my friend with windows mobile though!
    It should certainly be an upgrade. Perhaps, as new hardware is released, the variety of applications will as well. Then webOS will meet the requirements of most users.

It is a shame more consumers are not experiencing the joys of webOS. It is hard to argue with "options". I'm fortunate that webOS fits my needs.