Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Not sure where to put this, so if this isn't the place, mods, please move it
    OK, down to business.
    I have 2 devices on 2.1 (Pre- and Pre2 Unlocked GSM) and 1 device on 1.4.5 for compatibility testing (Pre+ CDMA).
    I loved the apps from 2.x (The updated app catalog, and Software manager) and decided to see if I could run them on my Pre+ with 1.4.5. And, it worked!!!!!
    I am still working on getting other apps (Accounts, Agenda, Text Assist, etc.) to work, but for the meantime, you can use the 2.1 App Catalog, and the Software Manager on 1.4.5!
    Here are the steps (at this time, you can only extract the Software Manager, I am still locating the App Catalog):

1: Download a 2.1 webOS Doctor (I used the 2.1 WR Doctor)
    2: Open the webOS Doctor with an Archive Manager (I use 7Zip on Windows 7 x64)
    3: Go into the "resources" folder
    4: Find the "webOS.tar" and open it
    5: Open the folder named "."
    6: Then open the "nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz" file
    7: Then open the "nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar" file
    8: Open the "." folder
    9: Next, navigate into the "usr" folder
    10: Then go into the "palm" folder
    11: Then into the "applications" folder
    12: Then extract the "com.palm.app.swmanager" for the Software Manager
    13: Make sure you have the SDK installed from Palm (go here to download if you don't have it)
    14: Navigate into the folder that you extracted the Software Manager into with your command line
    15: From the command line run "palm-package com.palm.app.swmanager" (without the quotes)
    16: With your device plugged into the computer, and in developer mode, run "palm-install com.palm.app.swmanager_1.0.0_all.ipk" (again, without the quotes)
    17: Enjoy your new Software Manager app!
    You can also browse the "applications" folder that you extracted the Software Manager from and try the other applications in there.

NOTE: The Software Manager only sees apps installed after you installed the Software Manager app. I am looking into how to make it see all of your installed apps
    NOTE: THIS HAS NOT BEEN TESTED ON THE PIXI OR PIXI+
    DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for anything that happens to your webOS device. Participate at your own risk!
    Last edited by patrickc; 04/27/2011 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Added disclaimer
    webOSroundup and Project Macaw contributor
    Remember, if I helped you, please click on the little or ♥ to the right
    Remember people, this is for personal use only, and you can't blame Patrickc if it breaks your devices
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Remember people, this is for personal use only, and you can't blame Patrickc if it breaks your devices
    Thanks added disclaimer
    Oh cool, so does the software manager notify you on 1.4.5 if you have an update without you launching it?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Oh cool, so does the software manager notify you on 1.4.5 if you have an update without you launching it?
    That I am not sure of, as I have not come into that yet. If/when it does, I will post it on here
  6.    #6  
    Just Bumping this up, as there was a news post on the main page stating that someone else found this.
    I am still trying to get other apps to work, but with school and real apps, this has kinda taken a seat on the back burner.
    @OP does this method survive a reboot? I belive i've found a way to survive the reboot it needs more testing doing it now will report back soon
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    @OP does this method survive a reboot? I belive i've found a way to survive the reboot it needs more testing doing it now will report back soon
    I have not found out how to make it stick after a reboot. If you could PM me, or post on here, I would be able to help you test it further. What device(s) are you testing on?
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickc View Post
    I have not found out how to make it stick after a reboot. If you could PM me, or post on here, I would be able to help you test it further. What device(s) are you testing on?
    Ok, it seems to wrok I've tested on sprint pre- and att pre+, after installing the new catalog via preware, I did as follows.

1.) opened internals navigated to /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.findaapps/

2.) opened appinfo.json

3.) editied title and app ID like so.

original version
    Code:
    {
    	"title": "App Catalog",
    	"type": "web",
    	"main": "index.html",
    	"id": "com.palm.app.findapps",
    	"icon": "icon.png",
    	"splashicon": "icon-256x256.png",
    	"splashBackground":"images/splash-screenshot-default.png",  
    	"version": "1.0.0",
    	"vendor": "Palm, Inc.",
    	"noWindow": true,
    	"keywords": ["Store"]
    }
    edited version
    Code:
    {
    	"title": "App Catalog Old",
    	"type": "web",
    	"main": "index.html",
    	"id": "com.palm.app.findappsold",
    	"icon": "icon.png",
    	"splashicon": "icon-256x256.png",
    	"splashBackground":"images/splash-screenshot-default.png",  
    	"version": "1.0.0",
    	"vendor": "Palm, Inc.",
    	"noWindow": true,
    	"keywords": ["Store"]
    }
    4.) rebooted and was left with both catalogs old and new.

Abe

PS. the old app catalog is installed with all other native apps
    the new app catalog is installed with 3rd party apps (same as on pre2)
    Attached Images Attached Images
  10.    #10  
    It looks like what you are doing is making 2 different installations of the catalog. This can be easier attained by changing the ipk. I will post how once I get home, I'm in the car right now.
    what I'm doing is installing the new catalog, in it's default place /media/cryptofs and leaving the old catalog by changing the ID

how would you edit the ipk, changing the ID of the new catalog, would mess up the system when opening any app links/promo codes, yoy woul have to edit the old ipk
    So far this has been working out on my Sprint Pre using webos 1.4.5, just dont try to use both versions at once if you do try to edit the json files to keep both build after resets

Noticing that keeping the 2 versions alive in a sense the newer one will still take triggers from other apps to load an app. IE clicking on SMS link for app loads the 2.1.0 catalog and not the 1.4.5 one.
    Last edited by addiarmadar; 05/25/2011 at 02:38 PM.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    what I'm doing is installing the new catalog, in it's default place /media/cryptofs and leaving the old catalog by changing the ID

how would you edit the ipk, changing the ID of the new catalog, would mess up the system when opening any app links/promo codes, yoy woul have to edit the old ipk
    Agreed. Much simpler to just edit the json file and a quicky patch can be done to accomodate your alternations for the old catalog.

14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Agreed. Much simpler to just edit the json file and a quicky patch can be done to accomodate your alternations for the old catalog.
    I see what we're doing now I was mistaken. I can make a patch in about 5 minutes to fix that. I will make it, and update here once its done
  15.    #15  
    I have made a patch, will upload it as soon as I can.. Seems to work. It hides the old app catalog, and only makes the new one visible.
    thanks patrickc , I hope Adam Marks will finally give you the credit , one question why hide the old one? I love using the oldone to browse the latest apps, I actually had many requests for an app that mimics the old version. I would keep both, or at least make 2 patches 1 that keeps the old app catalog and 1 that hides it.
  17.    #17  
    thanks patrickc , I hope Adam Marks will finally give you the credit , one question why hide the old one? I love using the oldone to browse the latest apps, I actually had many requests for an app that mimics the old version. I would keep both, or at least make 2 patches 1 that keeps the old app catalog and 1 that hides it.
    Good idea, I'll make two
    EDIT: Second is made
    Last edited by patrickc; 05/25/2011 at 03:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickc View Post
    Good idea, I'll make two
    EDIT: Second is made
    Thanks!

My previous posting was to comment to patch the json file of the old one to have both, appologize for that. Still nice to do both options to accomodate preferences

19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Thanks!

My previous posting was to comment to patch the json file of the old one to have both, appologize for that. Still nice to do both options to accomodate preferences
    Thanks, I have both made, and under testing. I always test my patches thoroughly before submitting.. If you would like to test either of them, PM me your email address and which patch, and what webOS version (1.4.5/2.0.1)
    thanks!
  20.    #20  
    Ok, testing is over. I will upload the patches to the Patch Portal today probably. I'll try and have a Patch Thread up today, with *both* patches attached, and attach the patches here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast