Page 1 of 55 1234561151 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1.    #1  
    Update: The latest info and techniques are still in a testing phase so read the thread to find out what's going on.

Also check out the wiki for the most up-to-date instructions for what is possible. (this is all still in testing)
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...rade_Pre_Minus

A big big thanks to all the research, investigating, thinking, testing, fixing, and retesting that has gone into this by so many people.

Check out the wiki and don't forget to donate
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...rade_Pre_Minus

Also Read carefully and completely before attempting this, there are some risks involved that can be avoided if you READ IT ALL CAREFULLY.

2.1 pre minus f104

Is there any way to manually clear the swap memory? I have noticed that everytime my pre- slows down/lags/almost freezes up, that govnah is showing that the swap memory says something like 235/85. This has been the case even if no cards other then govnah are open. I have never had a slowdown with a low memory number. I have tried all the kernals with as many combinations of settings I can muster. F104 seems to work the best on my pre-.

so all this leads me to ask, is there some way to manually clear the swap with out having to reset the whole phone? Is there some way to automate it like jstop does with the garbage collector? It would be great to have a clear the memory swap option in the device drop down menu, if its possible.
    what do you think?
    Last edited by loopytee; 07/22/2011 at 08:22 AM.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Not positive but I think a luna restart might do it. Not ideal but quicker than a full reboot. Also there are home-brew apps/patches to reboot or restart luna on a schedule but I haven't bothered with them in forever so I don't know names off hand or if they are still supported.
  3.    #3  
    thanks for the reply. I am hoping that there is or could be some way to accomplish this without having to do a restart, luna or otherwise. If it could just be a push of the button (like jasons garbage collect option in advanced launcher patch) then I could click the button, free up the memory overload(i'm just assuming this is the issue) and maybe my pre would be back in motion.
    you can go into govnah and switch compcache off and save and then go back in and turn it on. it will default to 16mb so change it back to 10 if you want and then turn it back on. it might take a min after you turn it off because it is clearing the swap.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Well I know a lot of people have their phones schedule to reboot at like 3am everyday so it's all ways nice and fresh in the morning. Usually takes a couple days for mine to start going all silly so it's not a terrible solution.
    no def agree with that. but on the fly without restarting that is the best way.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    you can go into govnah and switch compcache off and save and then go back in and turn it on. it will default to 16mb so change it back to 10 if you want and then turn it back on. it might take a min after you turn it off because it is clearing the swap.
    did this and it does work but takes a while.

if I can manually do this as described above, could a patch be made to do this? Or more to the point could somebody please make a patch that can do this.
    What does this button do?

crappy phones -->treo 600--> 700p--> 755p--> Pre--->Pre- 2.1 F104-----Franken Pre+ 2.1 f105 ---> Franken pre2 2.2.4
    touchpad 16gig uberkernel woop woop!!!
    I ran into this problem ALOT on a stock Pre minus but never had this problem on my personal sprint Pre (got plussed), or Pre 2 so willing to bet its webos 2 expecting 512mb of RAM rather than 256mb on the preminus.

It really does help to reboot the device daily and using Preset Reset really helps.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  9.    #9  
    thanks, I end up having to pull the battery at least one or twice a day because of freezeups (not as much since using f104) so this is similar to the reset, that being said I will install preset reset and see if that helps in general
    the more memory in swap the longer it will take to clear. of course restarting at night is the best but during the day if you dont want to do that this is what i do.

i would lawer with the voltage setting in f104. mine is much happier running lower voltage on 1.1ghz. i have it all the way down to 66. but of course you need to play with yours. but i have much less lag and freezes. it is much more touch responive then before also. i have the vdemand factor set to low and run the lowest stable voltage setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    the more memory in swap the longer it will take to clear. of course restarting at night is the best but during the day if you dont want to do that this is what i do.

i would lawer with the voltage setting in f104. mine is much happier running lower voltage on 1.1ghz. i have it all the way down to 66. but of course you need to play with yours. but i have much less lag and freezes. it is much more touch responive then before also. i have the vdemand factor set to low and run the lowest stable voltage setting.
    This is a good point, neglected to see there was overclock involved. It is possible the freezing issues are actually due to an unstable overclock setting, CPU making mistakes. Could try to drop it to 800mhz and then 1ghz to see if the freezes stops. Also watch the CPU temps on Govnah for it flirting near 60c but be the culprit.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for all the input, I will try all that you guys are suggesting. I have tried different kernals, speeds within each kernal, voltage stuff (although I don't really know what I am messing with when i've done this, i/o settings, tcp congestion settings and such. I know i'm trying to run beyond the comfort levels of my pre-, I do like to tinker but I feel like I am throwing darts in the dark when trying to find the best setting. I find some combination that works really well and then after a few days it no longer works that good anymore (yes I have checked govnah to make sure my new profile is enabled) I feel like being able to clear the memory at any moment would be so helpful. I know programs are using that space but often times its showing upwards of 80+ on the swap side with only Govnah open. Even if I have nothing open for 20 minutes it will still show that its sitting at 80+, having reduced by maybe 5 at most.
  13.    #13  
    anyone know if this is possible?

maybe I should repost as a patch request
    A solution exists for CLI. See this page of the UberKernel thread:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ernel-124.html.
  15.    #15  
    thanks for the link, that seems pretty exciting if i'm reading it correctly. Unfortunately for me I don't know half of what the coding directions are telling me to do. I will follow that thread in the hopes that someone can explain it simpler or make it easier to impliment. Thanks again
    Quote Originally Posted by loopytee View Post
    thanks for the link, that seems pretty exciting if i'm reading it correctly. Unfortunately for me I don't know half of what the coding directions are telling me to do. I will follow that thread in the hopes that someone can explain it simpler or make it easier to impliment. Thanks again
    Thats the uberkernel thread, so it is kind of off topic. If you have questions about how to implement that i would suggest starting a new thread with specific questions, or continuing to post questions in this thread.
    +1 on this. Would love a more step by step Wiki type explination on this.
    Post deleted. The steps i had listed are outdated. See post #74 and beyond for the state of the art.
    Last edited by NickVTPre; 05/05/2011 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Removed text and added reference to post 74.
  19.    #19  
    So, does anyone know how to implement this in a super easy way?

edit: as soon as I posted this the instructions appeared before my eyes!! Thanks I'l give it a shot!
    I just updated the instructions in post #18 to use directories which don't need rootfs write access.
Page 1 of 55 1234561151 ... LastLast