so with testing other things I tried some other sysctl.conf values

I tried to add the following:
    vm.overcommit_memory=2
    vm.overcommit_ratio=75

I did this because I was bored and reading the following doc:
    Link

Basically cause I glanced over this:
    Going in the right direction

Since 2.5.30 the values are: 0 (default): as before: guess about how much overcommitment is reasonable, 1: never refuse any malloc(), 2: be precise about the overcommit - never commit a virtual address space larger than swap space plus a fraction overcommit_ratio of the physical memory. Here /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_ratio (by default 50) is another user-settable parameter. It is possible to set overcommit_ratio to values larger than 100. (See also Documentation/vm/overcommit-accounting.)

After

# echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory
    all three demo programs were able to obtain 498 MiB on this 2.6.8.1 machine (256 MiB, 539 MiB swap, lots of other active processes), very satisfactory.
    However, without swap, no more processes could be started - already more than half of the memory was committed. After

# echo 80 > /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_ratio
    all three demo programs were able to obtain 34 MiB. (Exercise: solve two equations with two unknowns and conclude that main memory was 250 MiB, and the other processes took 166 MiB.)
    One can view the currently committed amount of memory in /proc/meminfo, in the field Committed_AS.
    However my when rebooting I got stuck at at boot Penguin. I went to get my usb cable to remove those values and realized I left it at home today.

So I used internalz pro but I forgot to check eol settings. But I thought i changed them to LINUX a while back. So either I didnt or adding the values caused a crash. I cant personally test until tonight so if anyone else feels like it and knows how to revert go for it else Dont even try lol.
    Sprint pre -> Motorola Photon 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    Wrong thread for this question. I suggest starting your own, or read the F14 kernel thread then post your question there.
    I should have phrased my question better. I was asking about compcache settings with this swap configuration, or are the two unrelated? (I was up way too late last night!)
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    I should have phrased my question better. I was asking about compcache settings with this swap configuration, or are the two unrelated? (I was up way too late last night!)
    This thread is about how to optimize swap/RAM for Pre-. The question of what compcache setting to use on a Pre2 would really be for another thread.

To answer you directly: it should matter much, since the Pre2 has 512mb RAM, so it should rarely be using the swap. i would set it low, like 12 or 16MB.
    Personally with a pre 2 and 512mb of ram I wouldnt use compcache at all. There really isnt a point. As for any hiccups with performance it could be that your processor is undervolted or it might not be able to handle 1.4. But the F14 thread would be able to help answer your questions better then we could.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    +1 that this wonderful tweak works perfectly

I have had my pre- running for a day, and i am at 234/6 when normally i am barely able to run my phone haha. Thanks guys!
    Heres a quick question. Is there a memboot command to replace a file... lets say um /etc/sysctl.conf lol
    Answering my own question. I found the command
    cat AFile | novacom put file://etc/sysctl.conf
    or
    to wipe the file out
    novacom put file://etc/sysctl.conf
    Quote Originally Posted by theXfactor2011 View Post
    DONT USE THESE VALUES YET!
    so with testing other things I tried some other sysctl.conf values

I tried to add the following:
    vm.overcommit_memory=2
    vm.overcommit_ratio=75

I did this because I was bored and reading the following doc:
    Link

However my when rebooting I got stuck at at boot Penguin. I went to get my usb cable to remove those values and realized I left it at home today.

So I used internalz pro but I forgot to check eol settings. But I thought i changed them to LINUX a while back. So either I didn't or adding the values caused a crash. I cant personally test until tonight so if anyone else feels like it and knows how to revert go for it else Don't even try lol.

Yeah... To forcibly deny overcommit can be quite bad...

However, the overcommit_ratio is another one that I'm trying to wrap my head around. It may help this situation some too, *BUT* it could be quite bad too. If an app requests an amount of "memory" that falls into the overcommit category, *BUT* is above the ratio... boom. It makes a big boom... Like a BOOM kind of boom. Like picture Alderan and Death Star I at the same time. Boom.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by theXfactor2011 View Post
    Personally with a pre 2 and 512mb of ram I wouldnt use compcache at all. There really isnt a point. As for any hiccups with performance it could be that your processor is undervolted or it might not be able to handle 1.4. But the F14 thread would be able to help answer your questions better then we could.
    Thanks guys. I'm just learning about this stuff. The progress here is amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Yeah... To forcibly deny overcommit can be quite bad...

However, the overcommit_ratio is another one that I'm trying to wrap my head around. It may help this situation some too, *BUT* it could be quite bad too. If an app requests an amount of "memory" that falls into the overcommit category, *BUT* is above the ratio... boom. It makes a big boom... Like a BOOM kind of boom. Like picture Alderan and Death Star I at the same time. Boom.

M.
    Lol yeah I would say both of those values in this case are pointless to set. Not allowing overcommits fails on boot and manually selecting the ratio can be a problem if someone happens to open too many apps. good thing novacom is so easy to use. i've tested the ratio on 75, 80, and 100 and have experienced app crashes and on 75 wouldn't boot. Reading up you can commit over 100 also but idk how that will work out.
    Xanadu: do you see any benefit to tuning the /proc/sys/vm/page-cluster?

page-cluster

page-cluster controls the number of pages which are written to swap in
    a single attempt. The swap I/O size.

It is a logarithmic value - setting it to zero means "1 page", setting
    it to 1 means "2 pages", setting it to 2 means "4 pages", etc.

The default value is three (eight pages at a time). There may be some
    small benefits in tuning this to a different value if your workload is
    swap-intensive.
    from here: http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sysctl/vm.txt
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    so far I find the best performance by deleting /etc/event.d/compcache (or moving it). 2 pre- and one pre+
    My understanding is that that effectively disables the ability of the phone to swap. I'm not positive, but i think it is RAM swap. Disc swap may be possible still...?
    Not sure that is a good idea for the Pre-, but i have done this on my Pre+ with no issues.
    I've been trying to keep up on this simply for the education. Great stuff. It looks like there is really no advantage to doing this on a Pre 2. Is that correct?
    I've been trying to keep up on this simply for the education. Great stuff. It looks like there is really no advantage to doing this on a Pre 2. Is that correct?
    Doubtful. Have you noticed any memory related issues on your Pre2? I'm on a Pre+ with 2.1 and have some issues with the caching of files when playing music, it seems to cause stutter in music apps.

But yes, the approach in this thread is meant for Pre- devices.
    So is there any benefit for using a combination of the swap clearing method done earlier in this post AND the kernel tweaks on post #74, or have we abandoned the swap clearing patch?
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    So is there any benefit for using a combination of the swap clearing method done earlier in this post AND the kernel tweaks on post #74, or have we abandoned the swap clearing patch?
    I would say that there is hope... The tweaks from post 74 greatly improve memory management on the pre- but if you open enough programs then luna and other things get dumped into swap. Once the swap fills up its not clearing out and putting things back into memory. So we buy ourselves more time of smooth functionality but in the long run the device still needs a good reboot.

With the swap hack it might be better to change it from the stupid hack that it is to a more efficient c program that can actually dig in there and manually clear old stuff out instead of turning it off and on again. who knows what will happen.
  17.    #178  
    so i've finally got this all squared away and running (I think) for about 3 days or so. Honestly, I don't see any better experiance. My pre is still slowing way down, locking up and I don't really see the swap reducing after no phone/any use for a while.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Can anyone share the way to do this using just a terminal on ubuntu. I have tried using novaterm, but it tells me that permission is denied. Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by kcspre View Post
    Can anyone share the way to do this using just a terminal on ubuntu. I have tried using novaterm, but it tells me that permission is denied. Any ideas?
    The instructions i wrote here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2954838 are meant to be done on device, you shouldn't need novaterm or ubuntu.
Page 9 of 55 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast