Page 8 of 55 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by theXfactor2011 View Post
    Just wondering but does browser-app.conf have any affect on Luna or is it just the web browser? Changing the browser-app-config seems like it would only affect those who browse the web or use form tools that work off the browser a lot.

Your guess is as good as mine. This is why I labeled it "dangerous". It stands to reason that it's the Web Browser the "-app" is referring too, but it's also the same file format as the other one. There are some difference between the files too. Some values that are in browser-app.conf are not in browser.conf.

The header of browser.conf says:

Code:
    #
    #       This is the configuration file for the palm browser.
    #       Keep it in /etc/palm/browser.conf
    #
    HOWEVER, the header of browser-app.conf says:

Code:
    #
    #       This is the configuration file for the palm browser.
    #       Keep it in /etc/palm/browser-app.conf
    #
    # Values specified here may be overridded by those in /etc/palm/browser-app-platform.conf
    which references that third file (browser-app-platform.conf) that doesn't exist.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    which references that third file (browser-app-platform.conf) that doesn't exist.
    M.
    Gotta love it.
    Sprint pre -> Motorola Photon 4G
    when doing the last step to put it back into read only after i run it i tested the permision again and i still get rw-r-r
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    when doing the last step to put it back into read only after i run it i tested the permision again and i still get rw-r-r

IGNORE PREVIOUS RESPONSE.

You're talking something different than I thought. Hold on.

M.
    hmm tried that too and still says rw r r

am i checking the wrong thing when doing the check from step 5. i figured when i did it after the change to read only it would change to r-r-r

ok thanks got your new message
    I see now. He's assuming you know to put the file that you're targeting the permission change to effect after that...

Code:
    chmod u=rw,go=r /etc/event.d/LunaSysMgr

M.
    i dont know it says it changed it to read only after i did what you just gave but when i run that check again i still get rw-r-r ill assume i am good

and i assume that you need to restart after this to make it all work.
    Quote Originally Posted by theXfactor2011 View Post
    Gotta love it.
    Yep, which doesn't make this any easier!

Being that the files have the same header info (with exception of the reference to the 3rd file), I can't sit here and say which one does what. They are the same FORMAT, but contain some different things. Some values are in one that aren't in the other (and vis versa). I don't know which one is actually "active". Honestly, I'm not about to rename one (to make it "disappear") and reboot my phone to see what happens just yet. I know it's gotta get done sometime, but...

M.
    i dont know it says it changed it to read only after i did what you just gave but when i run that check again i still get rw-r-r ill assume i am good

and i assume that you need to restart after this to make it all work.
    The read-only thing ( mount -oremount,ro / ) is for the filesystem, not an individual file. But, hey, if it's permissioned right so be it!

To make everything work, yes, a reboot is needed. The kernel parses /etc/sysctl.conf (if it exists) at boot time when it first mounts / (root).

You can manually change the kernel values as I put in post #99

http://forums.precentral.net/2954216-post99.html

*BUT* the memory's already been allocated the Palm way so I don't think it's a great test. A reboot will do it this way from the ground up.

M.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Man this forum moves fast!
    Seems like there is something new to try every day for memory, keep up the great engineering.
    Just reporting my experience:
    Yesterday before leaving work, I installed the method described in post #74. Thing seem to be running good. However when I put the phone on the touchstone in my truck thing when a little crazy.
    Let me back up and tell you what it does:
    Running modeswicher, when the phone gets on the touchstone it starts
    Drpoder, and Google maps as well as turns all the ringer up and sets the display, not to turn off. In addition, yesterday I left govnah running to monitor it.
    FYI Google maps is for traffic.
    Also during this time, my wife periodically pings me with sprint family locator trying to gage when I will be home. “Atlanta GA traffic sucks”.
    Anyway, watching Govnah I noticed that the SWAP number went over 90 and then I had a misted call. The phone did not even ring. The temp when over 50 degrees and everything started freezing up.
    Maybe I just have too much stuff going at once.
    Anyway just reporting my experience.
    Thanks for all your hard work here.
    if i recall correctly because govnah is contantly polling if you leave it on for a long time actually does use a lot of memory. i could be wrong so dont quote me but i remember seeing this.
    if i recall correctly because govnah is contantly polling if you leave it on for a long time actually does use a lot of memory. i could be wrong so dont quote me but i remember seeing this.

You beat me to it.

Yes, Govnah should never be let run for long periods of time. Rod and oil have both said this a ton of times. On that note, I've pointed out to oil an "oversight" in the way Govnah does Exhibition mode. He feels it doesn't need to be changed (it's not my app, so...).

The Exhibition mode works is it calls an app a "special" way that the dev listens for at app start to display a different scene than the "normal" one. Really there's nothing special from there. "Dock Mode" is just another scene in an app, nothing more.

BUT

When you *exit* exhibition mode, it *ONLY* sends the "stageDeactivate()" and does not *close* the app. "SO?!?" you ask? That means that if your app has a lot of timers/polling/web getting/disk work/etc., IT WILL STILL RUN even if it's not actively being displayed.

I put an Exhibition Mode into Simple Big Book (in the Palm App Catalog). This is how I found all this out. It's nothing special, it just cycles through quotes and such. *BUT* all my timers and such were still running in the background even when it wasn't being displayed. I "fixed" that by adding in stageDeactivate() to stop ALL timers, set some variables to null (to conserve memory), etc. Then simply restart a few timers and re-populate a few variables in "stageActivate()" for when Exhibition starts back up. Boom. Problem solved.

I had suggested to oil (because Rod disabled his PM's) that if it's BAD (and it is) to leave Govnah running all the time, than in Govnah's Dock Mode stageDeactivate() all the timers should be stopped.

Point is that it's probably never a good idea to use Govnah as an Exhibition because it ALWAYS running. The way to stop it is either reboot (Palm doesn't permanently store your Exhibition selection - which is something I'm looking into as well), or in the Exhibition Settings, toggle it to "OFF". That'll actually close an app in the background.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Other little tweak.

I marked this as "dangerous" because I don't know exactly what this does. I do believe, however, this is probably only really helpful to us (cast aside...) Pre- users. Just follow me for a sec here.

In the file /etc/palm/browser.conf There's these lines:

Code:
    # These sizes are set default based on physical memory of the device. You can override below
    #YoungSpaceSize=4MB
    #OldSpaceSize=64MB
    HOWEVER

In /etc/palm/browser-app.conf The "YoungSpaceSize" and "OldSpaceSize" have values:

Code:
    YoungSpaceSize=2MB
    OldSpaceSize=32MB
    Now keep in mind that the meta-doctor we've all used is based on Pre+ (512M RAM) devices NOT Pre- devices (256M RAM). So I've assumed those values are "hard codded" for devices that have 512M RAM. My little tweak is to comment out those two lines in browser-app.conf and let the system decide what to set those at because of the comment "based on physical memory of the device".

Again, I don't know what that means, and I don't know a way to check. All I do know is that those values assume that there's 512M RAM in the device which the Pre- clearly does not. I can only assume that Palm's math will lower those values for the Pre-.

I do also know that 32M of "Old Space Size" suggests to me that they all 32M of known "Old" crap to sit in "memory" (RAM / swap), which is suicide for the Pre-.

I have seen no adverse effects that I'm aware of, and memory management does seem to be somewhat better. I did have the YouTube app crash my phone 2 or 3 times in a row a couple days ago, but, I've always had problems with YouTube on my Pre- even when running 1.4.5, so I don't know that's a great indication of this being a bad idea.

M.
    Trying this. I'll let y'all know if my Pre explodes.
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Trying this. I'll let y'all know if my Pre explodes.

It shouldn't. Mine hasn't...

M.
    i am using the first hack and i can report that my memory has stayed at a nice level around 31-32 after a few hours. i can actually see it decrease too which i never saw before. seems like it is exactly what our pre- needs. thanks for all of the work and walk throuth on this.
    i am using the first hack and i can report that my memory has stayed at a nice level around 31-32 after a few hours. i can actually see it decrease too which i never saw before. seems like it is exactly what our pre- needs. thanks for all of the work and walk through on this.
    This is exactly what I've noticed also / was my goal of playing with all this. Swap (generally) doesn't get *as* huge, but more importantly, it's use will decrease as RAM frees up and the Kernel will take stuff back out of swap and shove it into RAM where it can be of more use and take less work & power to get at (or decide to just dump it completely if it's really stale, of course...). I think this all needs some more work, but, we're all on the right track, I think anyway.

M.
    If and when new methods are found this is easly undone right, swap back the original LunaSysMgr and remove that other file???
    If and when new methods are found this is easly undone right, swap back the original LunaSysMgr and remove that other file???
    You are correct.

Or just leave the file there and comment out the parameters/values. But, "yes" to answer the question. 100% and painlessly reversible.

M.
    I fixed the "chmod" command error in the instructions i wrote.

Also i changed the mount commands to what Xanadu had suggested. Both work, but his is fewer characters to type.
Page 8 of 55 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast