Page 6 of 55 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    im assuming you are using this now. do you notice a diff? are you running a + or -
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    im assuming you are using this now. do you notice a diff? are you running a + or -
    Who? Me? Of course I am. I've used (various iterations) of it for a couple weeks before opening my mouth because I didn't want to hose other people's phones. The exact settings I posted were the best I found after that couple weeks. I just didn't know that a document editor that can edit LINUX documents, on a LINUX device didn't default to LINUX EOL's...

I've tested MANY different things over the past 1.5+ years (got my first Pre- in late October of 2009). This is one of the "hacks" that I've come up with that I feel is worth sharing. A couple other things have made it into the kernels we use, some of the bigger apps we use, Sprint people updating their PRL's, etc. This type of thing would never make it into a kernel release, or an app, or anything like that because (to do it fully), requires modifying a system file (not just some little .jsjsjs $somewhere$). $There$'$s$ $another$ &$quot$;$little$&$quot$; $change$ $I$'$ve$ $found$, $but$ $that$ $requires$ $commenting$ $out$ $a$ $couple$ $lines$ $in$ $another$ $config$ $file$ $as$ $well$. $I$'$ve$ $been$ $using$ $that$ $idea$ $for$ $a$ $couple$ $days$ $with$ $no$ $negative$ $side$ $effects$.

Phone: Sprint Pre Minus.
    Kernel: Harrier

M.
    cool thanks for the response. i might give this a whirl. if i can stop my pre- from letting the swap memory get too high i think the thing will be great. i am runnin f-104 and it really does run perfect until the memory limit gets to high. thanks for posting your method. wish it was a little more automated. but i will figure it out.
    thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by somagarn View Post
    It is not working for me the slowww is still there. What's more, now sometime the UI is less responsive.
    Are you also using the swap hack file? I decided to skip on that one and just use Xanadu73's kernel tweaks on boot. The swap hack files seems like it would be a waste of resources with reading the logs and stuff.

Also I am not the heaviest of users. I rarely have more then 2 or 3 apps open.

Sprint pre -
    Webos 2.1
    Compcache size : 32mb
    Sprint pre -> Motorola Photon 4G
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    I have a pre- running 1.2.1 and I have been following this thread because I suffer all the ugly slowdowns that are being described. I finally decided to jump in, and I am trying the Xanadu73 kernel parameters method. I'll report back in a day or two when its been long enough to know something useful.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    OK, please forgive my lake of reading every post, but things seem to be working well now using the Post #74 just wanted to share my story.

The Xanadu73 Way of Linux to Clearing Swap Memory (Post#74, 05/02/2011, 10:53 PM)

This is the mistake I made

I used Internal to copy the LunaSysMgr to my windows computer.
    Then in note pad I placed the # before echo 1
    Then I made a new note pad file and copy pasted the code into it and named it sysctl.conf.
    Then I used webOS quick install to move the files back into my phone.
    Rebotted, and the phone would not boot.
    But the computer made a noise like the phone was connected to it.
    Luckily, I save an unedited and unopened copy of the LunaSysMgr on my computer.
    So using WebOS quick install to place the original LunaSysMgr and removing the sysctl.conf.
    Then I panic and read every post very carefully and find the answer is to create or edit the Linux files with Notepad++. “Thanks Xanadu73”
    After following the exact same instruction but using Notepad++ the phone butted up and seems to be working.
    I was unable to edit the LunaSysMgr with internals, said I did not have permission.
    But I can view it and see that the # is in the correct location before echo.
    So Xanadu73 just thought you would get a giggle from my stupidity
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeder View Post
    So Xanadu73 just thought you would get a giggle from my stupidly.

It's not yours, It's Microsoft's for thinking they have to do some things a different way for no more reason than they think they are better than everyone else.

It's not a HUGE change, but, if you glance at Govnah a few times+ a day, you'll see that the swap (generally) stays smaller, but somewhat more importantly, it's "In Use" number will actually go down some too. That's the big part. There's enough RAM getting "freed up" ("not actively in use" is probably more exact) Linux will take stuff out of swap and move it back to RAM (is what my understanding of what it's doing is...).

M.
    Xanadu73: Any thoughts on how RAM caching is handled on 2.1?
    I just realized tonight that this is the reason for stuttering when i play music for a long time. the files that were just played are put into the RAM cache. Once the RAM is full i start getting stutters in music players, and the UI will also sometimes stutter.

I found:
    Code:
    sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
    as a blunt force approach to dumping the cache...

I'm on a Pre+, BTW.

I'm going to try changing swappiness to 10 and see if that has any effect. Doubtful since i never went to swap when it was enabled...
    Last edited by NickVTPre; 05/05/2011 at 09:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    There's another "little" change I've found, but that requires commenting out a couple lines in another config file as well. I've been using that idea for a couple days with no negative side effects.
    OK, i'll bite. What are those other little changes?
    OK, i'm going to take a stab at making a step-by-step for Xanadu73's approach in Post #74.

These instructions are meant to be executed on-device, with the possible exception of getting the files attached to this post to your device.

You will need:
    - SDL Terminal
    - Internalz Pro

Warning!
    You will need to mount your rootfs with write permissions to do this. If you aren't careful this can cause serious problems.

1) Download the LunaSysMgr and sysctl.conf files to your device. Put these somewhere like /media/internal/downloads/. I'll use this path in my commands below, you need to change this to YOUR location.
    2) Backup your old LunaSysMgr. In SDL terminal type: "cp /etc/event.d/LunaSysMgr /media/internal/LunaSysMgrOld" (LunaSysMgr is case sensitive!)
    3) mount rootfs with write permission. Type "mount -oremount,rw /"
    4) copy the new LunaSysMgr file to the right location. (Remember: use the path where you downloaded the files) Type "cp /media/internal/downloads/LunaSysMgr /etc/event.d". (LunaSysMgr is case sensitive!)
    5) Verify the file permissions are set correctly for LunaSysMgr. Type "ls /etc/event.d/LunaSysMgr -l" (that last character is a lowercase L). You should see "-rw-r--r--" and some other things. If you do not see "-rw-r--r--", type "chmod u=rw,go=r /etc/event.d/LunaSysMgr". Verify the permissions are "-rw-r--r--" by retyping the same ls command as above.
    6) Copy the sysctl.conf file to /etc. Type "cp /media/internal/downloads/sysctl.conf /etc".
    7) Verify with Internalz Pro that /etc/event.d/LunaSysMgr has the correct line commented out, and has the correct permissions. Verify that sysctl.conf is in the /etc path.
    8) Mount rootfs as read only. Type "mount -oremount,ro /"
    9) reboot your phone.
    10) report your results here.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by NickVTPre; 05/06/2011 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Updated rootfs mount commands, chmod command
    What's the best setting for 2.1 on a Pre2 (Sprint)? I have my compcache set @ 32MB using F14 kernel fixed @ 1.4GHz. Is there a way to verify it's working? I rarely run more than 2-3 apps at a time. Hoping this stops random restarts and occasional unresponsiveness.
    I should have phrased my question better. I was asking about compcache settings with this swap configuration, or are the two unrelated?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by matteebee13; 05/06/2011 at 08:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    What's the best setting for 2.1 on a Pre2 (Sprint)? I have my compcache set @ 32MB using F14 kernel fixed @ 1.4GHz. Is there a way to verify it's working? I rarely run more than 2-3 apps at a time. Hoping this stops random restarts and occasional unresponsiveness.
    Wrong thread for this question. I suggest starting your own, or read the F14 kernel thread then post your question there.
    I have asked this before in this thread and at the risk of repeating myself I will try rephrasing my question:

WHY is this clearing of swap a good thing? It would seem to me that if I turned swap off on any normal OS the effect would be to shift the memory that is on disk (Flash on the Pre) back to RAM and to discard cached memory contents that were no longer strictly necessary.

The impact of this would be to either overload RAM and run out of memory entirely OR to slow down performance because previously cached memory was flushed and would have to be reread from "disk" and the proper calculations done to allocate it to RAM etc.

It's obvious that this is helping some people - but what is the theory behind WHY?
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    I have asked this before in this thread and at the risk of repeating myself I will try rephrasing my question:

WHY is this clearing of swap a good thing? It would seem to me that if I turned swap off on any normal OS the effect would be to shift the memory that is on disk (Flash on the Pre) back to RAM and to discard cached memory contents that were no longer strictly necessary.

The impact of this would be to either overload RAM and run out of memory entirely OR to slow down performance because previously cached memory was flushed and would have to be reread from "disk" and the proper calculations done to allocate it to RAM etc.

It's obvious that this is helping some people - but what is the theory behind WHY?
    Read this post: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2951712.

Xanadu73's approach is basically to tune the linux parameters to the 256mb of ram that the Pre- has. It doesn't disable, or wipe the swap, it makes sure that the RAM is the preferred storage, and that only things which should be in swap make it there. That's my understanding, anyway.
  15.    #115  
    NickVTPre or Xanadu 73, Do you all guys think I should edit the first post to point people to the most recent successful instructions?
    What does this button do?

crappy phones -->treo 600--> 700p--> 755p--> Pre--->Pre- 2.1 F104-----Franken Pre+ 2.1 f105 ---> Franken pre2 2.2.4
    touchpad 16gig uberkernel woop woop!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    OK, i'll bite. What are those other little changes?
    +1
    I'm trying to do this on my device and always seem to have a problem unzipping these attachments. Now I'm getting an error, zip flags 1 and 8 are not supported. Oh well, I guess I'll wait until I get home. Can't wait to try this out.
    Quote Originally Posted by loopytee View Post
    NickVTPre or Xanadu 73, Do you all guys think I should edit the first post to point people to the most recent successful instructions?
    Yes, or at least summarize what has been done in this thread.
    Thanks, i was going to ask you to do that.

I would point people to read from post #74 and beyond.
  19.    #119  
    a question, If I switch kernels, does it effect all of this? does it overwrite any of these files I have changed? I like to try different kernels as they are updated, do i need to plan on re-implementing these steps if i switch kernels?
    What does this button do?

crappy phones -->treo 600--> 700p--> 755p--> Pre--->Pre- 2.1 F104-----Franken Pre+ 2.1 f105 ---> Franken pre2 2.2.4
    touchpad 16gig uberkernel woop woop!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by loopytee View Post
    a question, If I switch kernels, does it effect all of this? does it overwrite any of these files I have changed? I like to try different kernels as they are updated, do i need to plan on re-implementing these steps if i switch kernels?
    I don't think so. The kernel should have no effect on either file.
    To be sure you can just use internalz to check that the one line in LunaSysMgr is still commented out, and that the sysctl.conf file is still there and has those four lines in it.