Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 44449505152535455 LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1081
Like Tree13Likes
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I can now say that without a doubt that if you place it in roam all the issues cleared up. Does anyone have an idea why this occurs? Is there a patch for this?
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by settelma View Post
    I can now say that without a doubt that if you place it in roam all the issues cleared up. Does anyone have an idea why this occurs? Is there a patch for this?
    ok the trick is shutoff backup let it delete your file and re-activate your backup. This worked great and now the
    pre- screams.
    Last edited by settelma; 08/20/2011 at 04:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by settelma View Post
    ok the trick is shutoff backup let it delete your file and re-activate your backup. This worked great and now the
    pre- screams.
    I will be investigating this and possibly adding it to the wiki. Thanks
    Update: I have created a mode switcher that clears the swap every 20 minutes.

Basically I discovered if you try and enable compcache it will fail but not without clearing the swap first.

So I set mode switcher to try and enable compache in govnah every 20 minutes.

It fails every time, but not without clearing the swap first.

Works awesome. Will post soon!
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Update: I have created a mode switcher that clears the swap every 20 minutes.

Basically I discovered if you try and enable compcache it will fail but not without clearing the swap first.

So I set mode switcher to try and enable compache in govnah every 20 minutes.

It fails every time, but not without clearing the swap first.

Works awesome. Will post soon!

How is this coming along? I would also like to try this.

I also tried something like this with mode switcher. Basically what I did was create 2 profiles in govnah, one with compache on, and the other off. The problem I was having was that after a while it wouldn't clear the swap.

if you have a different method, I would like to give this a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by delacro View Post
    How is this coming along? I would also like to try this.

I also tried something like this with mode switcher. Basically what I did was create 2 profiles in govnah, one with compache on, and the other off. The problem I was having was that after a while it wouldn't clear the swap.

if you have a different method, I would like to give this a shot.
    I have noticed that after a while it wouldnt clear the swap either.

I think it has to do with the fact that we are using linux swap rather than the backing store that Palm implemented. So Govnah is confused.

I might write to Rod and ask what script is being run to clear the swap to implement compcache on the fly and if we can just maybe isolate that script to use with linux swap instead.

I am basically going to very soon update the WebOS Internals wiki and add a few things:

-Updates and modifications to Luna.conf patch and sysctl.conf patch.
    -Update to suggest the SR71 overclock if your Pre can handle it
    -Update for mode switcher swap clearing patch.
    -Instructions on how to remove the patches as per Rod Whitby

Then I will maybe try and create both an ipk that does everything and a meta-doctor script as well.

Then, I am done with things. I think after that we have beaten a dead horse. The Pre Minus is 2+ years old. Time to move on.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    -Updates and modifications to Luna.conf patch and sysctl.conf patch.
    I'll be looking forward for the updates.

-Update to suggest the SR71 overclock if your Pre can handle it.
    My pre wears pink underwear trying to run SR71.

-Instructions on how to remove the patches as per Rod Whitby

Then I will maybe try and create both an ipk that does everything and a meta-doctor script as well.
    Great, this will hopefully be less time consuming.

Then, I am done with things. I think after that we have beaten a dead horse. The Pre Minus is 2+ years old. Time to move on.
    Well I'll have my pre for another year until my contract is up. That will be give enough time to figure out what phone to move too.
    Palm Lifedrive --> Palm Centro --> Palm Pre (Sprint)
    perhaps already stated in the 54 pages, but I want to clarify.

Is there a benefit of doing this to a 1.45 Pre minus (for those of us still clinging...)?

thanks

Sprint Pre-
    UK Screenstate 500/1ghz
    Mode Switcher--RULES !!!
    Advanced preferences by Sconix
    Lots of patches
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Not really. 1.4.5 works pretty well on the pre-. i don't think it's worth while. I actually came here to say to those of you afraid of the franken process to suck it up. Go, buy a pre2, price be damned. Mail me your phones and I'll freaking do it for you. It is SOOOO worth it. It's like a dream come true. I'm not even upset about the pre3 any more. the pre2 is rock solid and fast as hell.
    Yes there is. As previously stated and as I found out on my 1.4.5 Pixi, the tunable variables for the vm system are just the Linux defaults, and not fine tuned for our devices. Also, for the limited RAM available, swap space is insufficient.
    thanks bassman. so this will help 1.45.

I am sure that most of us following this thread are royally lost as to what to do or even try. Post 1066 offers some hope that there will be a wiki, and perhaps an ipk file.
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    thanks bassman. so this will help 1.45.

I am sure that most of us following this thread are royally lost as to what to do or even try. Post 1066 offers some hope that there will be a wiki, and perhaps an ipk file.
    That's correct. Even though there's a lot of pages, there's a lot of great info that will let you understand the problems and the best solutions to solving the problems. The wiki page has the patches, and should work in 1.4.5 even though it's made for 2.1. If you wish to manually do what was done, head the warnings in the prior posts (especially if using Internalz) and note that 1.4.5 doesn't have all the vm modules that 2.1 has.
    the wiki mentions the f105 kernel. Can this be done with UK?

Again, on 1.45.

i just tried to install the luna.conf and sysctl.conf patches on 1.45, and both gave errors. I am running UK with Govnah (of course).

Perhaps, this isnt for 1.45. The tweaking of the memory sounds like a good idea. I dont have any music loaded or games, so I have plenty of space to donate to ram.
    But according to the wiki, you cant do the swap allocation without sysctl installed.

Any thoughts? Or did I squeeze the most out of my Pre with UK?
    Last edited by NABRIL15; 09/27/2011 at 01:08 PM.
    the wiki mentions the f105 kernel. Can this be done with UK?

Again, on 1.45.

i just tried to install the luna.conf and sysctl.conf patches on 1.45, and both gave errors. I am running UK with Govnah (of course).

Perhaps, this isnt for 1.45. The tweaking of the memory sounds like a good idea. I dont have any music loaded or games, so I have plenty of space to donate to ram.
    But according to the wiki, you cant do the swap allocation without sysctl installed.

Any thoughts? Or did I squeeze the most out of my Pre with UK?
    Maybe the patches are 2.1 specific but I though 1.4.5 guys were able to install it. Anyway, really all you can install is the sysctl stuff since there is no compcache file on 1.4.5. If you have Internalz or are good w/ vi/nano/pico, just create a file named sysctl.conf in /etc with the settings listed here. Rmausser did post what settings he used for the patches. Just head the warnings for editing and in Internalz, make sure EOL is set for Linux. If you are too nervous to create files manually, then I guess I'm sorry that this didn't work.
    bassman..no need to apologize. I certainly wasnt complaining or ranting. I am cognicent that whatever is said in forums is appreciated, and that it is a trial and error lifestyle.

you mention that 1.45 doesnt have a compcache file. But in Govnah most of us have compcache enabled (in the compressed swap section). Am I confusing things?

Sprint Pre-
    UK Screenstate 500/1ghz
    Mode Switcher--RULES !!!
    Lots of patches
    bassman..no need to apologize. I certainly wasnt complaining or ranting. I am cognicent that whatever is said in forums is appreciated, and that it is a trial and error lifestyle.

you mention that 1.45 doesnt have a compcache file. But in Govnah most of us have compcache enabled (in the compressed swap section). Am I confusing things?
    That's different. On 2.1, in /etc or /etc/palm, there's a file labeled compcache. In 1.4.5, there is no such file, even if you have a kernel that has compcache.
    alright bassman and rmausser.
    Help us 1.45 clingers-on wrap this post with a nice little bow.
    Is this correct? Please confirm/deny.

Any of us doing this do so at our own risk, and we could potentially turn our phone into a post-meal teeth checker.
    1) Create a file named sysctl.conf in /etc that contains the lines below.
    You can create the file yourself, or type the statements below in terminal. I believe that the type of EOL used (linux or windows) is important here. Someone please correct me.

+++ /etc/sysctl.conf
    @@ -0,0 +1,22 @@
    +vm.swappiness = 90
    +vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 40
    +vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 1200
    +vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 500
    +vm.dirty_background_ratio = 50
    +vm.dirty_ratio = 90
    +vm.min_free_kbytes = 1024
    +vm.max_map_count = 32768
    +vm.overcommit_memory = 1
    +vm.overcommit_ratio = 10
    +vm.zone_reclaim_mode = 2
    +kernel.shmax = 268435456
    +kernel.shmall = 16777216
    +kernel.shmmni = 65576
    +sched_compat_yield = 1
    +vm.lowmem_reserve_ratio = 4096

These instructions come from the wiki.
    2) Plug your Pre Minus into your computer using a USB cable
    3) Ensure that Developer Mode is enabled on the Pre.
    4) Make sure the Pre is set to "Just Charge" and NOT USB Mode.
    5) In the Terminal in Linux or Mac, type "Novaterm". Press Enter.
    6) You should now be presented with the root terminal of your Pre Minus. Congrats, you are now in the Terminal of your Pre Minus phone.

Resizing the Swap Partition
    WARNING THIS COULD ERASE YOUR PHONE, DESTROY YOUR PHONE, RESURRECT ZOMBIES FROM THE DEAD, MELT YOUR DEVICE INTO A PILE OF GOO. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH.

* I am not responsible for anything that happens to your phone
    * your media may be erased
    * your phone may need to be re-doctored
    * it may catch fire
    * the drive could be come corrupt
    * your phone may hate you for life
    * Back UP! Back UP! Back UP!
    OK, so what we are going to do is resize the swap partition to 512MB. Why 512MB? Several reasons. First, the swap partition is currently at 100mb. With only 256MB of ram, this is too small. When the device fills up the 100mb of swap, the kernel must now clear out memory and make room. This causes the device to "hang" and "stall" and "lag", as the CPU must shuffle around applications in the memory to desperately try and make room. Resizing the swap partition to twice the size of physical RAM ensures that it will never be completely filled.

Before we resize the swap partition we must make room for it by shrinking the USB partition (the storage for your music, phots etc).

Follow the steps to resize your usb partition to a smaller size to make more room for a larger swap partition, and then resize your swap partition.

I HIGHLY recommend copying everything off your USB partition to your computer and wiping it clean!!! Also, Make sure no applications are currently running on your phone, and put it into airplane mode!!!

NOTE: you may want to do this from recovery mode instead, replacing lvm with lvm.static

First before you resize, backup your USB partition to your computer, and wipe it clean, unless you want to break your phones USB partition and have to WebOS Doctor.

In Nova Terminal, type (without quotes):

7) "resizefat -v /dev/store/media 6.0G" (First you should reduce the "inside" filesystem, the fat32 partition)
    8) "lvm lvreduce -L 6.0G /dev/store/media" (And then you reduce the container partition)
    9) "lvm lvresize -L +412M /dev/store/swap" (This expands your swap partition by 412mb [100mb + 412mb = 512mb])
    10) "swapoff /dev/store/swap"
    11) "mkswap /dev/store/swap"
    12) "swapon /dev/store/swap"
    13) Reboot
    14) Put the backed up USB files from your computer back onto the Pre.
    15) To check the size and status of your swap file, type "/sbin/swapon -s" in novaterm.

Is this correct?

Sprint Pre-
    UK Screenstate 500/1ghz
    Mode Switcher--RULES !!!
    Lots of patches
    alright bassman and rmausser.
    Help us 1.45 clingers-on wrap this post with a nice little bow.
    Is this correct? Please confirm/deny.

Any of us doing this do so at our own risk, and we could potentially turn our phone into a post-meal teeth checker.
    1) Create a file named sysctl.conf in /etc that contains the lines below.
    You can create the file yourself, or type the statements below in terminal. I believe that the type of EOL used (linux or windows) is important here. Someone please correct me.

+++ /etc/sysctl.conf
    @@ -0,0 +1,22 @@
    +vm.swappiness = 90
    +vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 40
    +vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 1200
    +vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 500
    +vm.dirty_background_ratio = 50
    +vm.dirty_ratio = 90
    +vm.min_free_kbytes = 1024
    +vm.max_map_count = 32768
    +vm.overcommit_memory = 1
    +vm.overcommit_ratio = 10
    +vm.zone_reclaim_mode = 2
    +kernel.shmax = 268435456
    +kernel.shmall = 16777216
    +kernel.shmmni = 65576
    +sched_compat_yield = 1
    +vm.lowmem_reserve_ratio = 4096

These instructions come from the wiki.
    2) Plug your Pre Minus into your computer using a USB cable
    3) Ensure that Developer Mode is enabled on the Pre.
    4) Make sure the Pre is set to "Just Charge" and NOT USB Mode.
    5) In the Terminal in Linux or Mac, type "Novaterm". Press Enter.
    6) You should now be presented with the root terminal of your Pre Minus. Congrats, you are now in the Terminal of your Pre Minus phone.

Resizing the Swap Partition
    WARNING THIS COULD ERASE YOUR PHONE, DESTROY YOUR PHONE, RESURRECT ZOMBIES FROM THE DEAD, MELT YOUR DEVICE INTO A PILE OF GOO. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH.

* I am not responsible for anything that happens to your phone
    * your media may be erased
    * your phone may need to be re-doctored
    * it may catch fire
    * the drive could be come corrupt
    * your phone may hate you for life
    * Back UP! Back UP! Back UP!
    OK, so what we are going to do is resize the swap partition to 512MB. Why 512MB? Several reasons. First, the swap partition is currently at 100mb. With only 256MB of ram, this is too small. When the device fills up the 100mb of swap, the kernel must now clear out memory and make room. This causes the device to "hang" and "stall" and "lag", as the CPU must shuffle around applications in the memory to desperately try and make room. Resizing the swap partition to twice the size of physical RAM ensures that it will never be completely filled.

Before we resize the swap partition we must make room for it by shrinking the USB partition (the storage for your music, phots etc).

Follow the steps to resize your usb partition to a smaller size to make more room for a larger swap partition, and then resize your swap partition.

I HIGHLY recommend copying everything off your USB partition to your computer and wiping it clean!!! Also, Make sure no applications are currently running on your phone, and put it into airplane mode!!!

NOTE: you may want to do this from recovery mode instead, replacing lvm with lvm.static

First before you resize, backup your USB partition to your computer, and wipe it clean, unless you want to break your phones USB partition and have to WebOS Doctor.

In Nova Terminal, type (without quotes):

7) "resizefat -v /dev/store/media 6.0G" (First you should reduce the "inside" filesystem, the fat32 partition)
    8) "lvm lvreduce -L 6.0G /dev/store/media" (And then you reduce the container partition)
    9) "lvm lvresize -L +412M /dev/store/swap" (This expands your swap partition by 412mb [100mb + 412mb = 512mb])
    10) "swapoff /dev/store/swap"
    11) "mkswap /dev/store/swap"
    12) "swapon /dev/store/swap"
    13) Reboot
    14) Put the backed up USB files from your computer back onto the Pre.
    15) To check the size and status of your swap file, type "/sbin/swapon -s" in novaterm.

Is this correct?
    Please read back. rmausser has posted two versions of settings to try. Also, as I have posted, some of the vm settings in 2.1 are not available in 1.4.5, such as zone-reclaim. Lastly, increasing the swap size is similar but since 1.4.5 doesn't have resizefat, it requires a work around. I also posted that previously.
    Im curious, could the device be memboot using the installer image w/ webos doctor and then these commands ran on the device? Thus the device would be in a complete offline mode, making reszing of filesystems / partitions easier - less risky?
    Curious does the memboot image have resizefat command? if so...this should work great.
    If not then ignore this idea =P

This being what I was thinking:
    novacom boot mem:// < **whatever installer name here**.uImage
    like this:
    novacom boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-castle.uImage

Im wondering if that image contains the resizefat...if so...should work!
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTarkin View Post
    Im curious, could the device be memboot using the installer image w/ webos doctor and then these commands ran on the device? Thus the device would be in a complete offline mode, making reszing of filesystems / partitions easier - less risky?
    Curious does the memboot image have resizefat command? if so...this should work great.
    If not then ignore this idea =P

This being what I was thinking:
    novacom boot mem:// < **whatever installer name here**.uImage
    like this:
    novacom boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-castle.uImage

Im wondering if that image contains the resizefat...if so...should work!
    Well, the way I did it was to install the fatresize optware package. However, as due to how WebOS Internals implements it, you need to copy everything installed from the /opt directory to the / directory since umount /media/internal makes optware packages unavailable.