Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3434849505152535455 LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1081
Like Tree13Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ApplePie View Post
    Yup, I knew all along that I'm taking a risk of needing to doctor. I understand that this may be my only way out of this. But I don't think this should keep me from asking some help before doing the ultimate step. Am I wrong?
    You are not wrong. In my opinion every step in this thread should have a corresponding uninstall step associated with it, and no-one who does not know how to revert things should be attempting this until those uninstall steps are documented by those who do know how to revert things.

This is why WebOS Internals releases things as Preware packages, where simply uninstalling the package undoes whatever has been done.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Somagarn likes this.
    On a Sprint Pre Minus running the latest Sprint meta doctor for 2.1, does anyone know what these sizes are? Thanks in advance.
    Before on the stock pre, run the /sbin/swap on command. What it outputs for swap size is the stock size. If you already did these steps, then you can find the size buried in /etc/init.d/swaphack. The Pixi is a little different, as the stock swap size is larger than what's listed there (on the Pixi I think after everything is partitioned, whatever is left goes to swap).
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You are not wrong. In my opinion every step in this thread should have a corresponding uninstall step associated with it, and no-one who does not know how to revert things should be attempting this until those uninstall steps are documented by those who do know how to revert things.

This is why WebOS Internals releases things as Preware packages, where simply uninstalling the package undoes whatever has been done.

-- Rod
    Hey Rod,

I personally think that a Metadoctor script with 2.1 for the Pre Minus with these patches built in would be the best idea, as I could see a LOT of issues popping up with an all in one .ipk.

This way people would be doctoring from scratch and also have a clean WebOS system, which would speed up the device anyways.

Sort of like a WebOS SpeedBoost Edition Metadoctor.

Maybe I could PM you soon about how to create metadoctor scripts?

Are all these things possible with a metadoctor?:

-patching the filesystem (adding sysctl.conf, compcache patch, luna patch)
    -Installation of Preware Patches (Smooth Scrolling, etc)
    -F105 Kernel and overclocked
    -Installation of HB apps like JSTop and Preset Reset with settings in them already modified (JSTop autogarbage autoenabled and Preset Reset
    -Minimal logging enabled
    -Swap space resized

Is it possible to create a metadoctor labelled WebOS SpeedBoost to do all these things at once?

This would be the best solution imo.
    That would be a great idea however i dont think you need to include the kernel change. i personally have much better success with f-104. i would think that if you know how to meta dr. than choosing your kernel should not be a problem. with that i would think that even the apps and patch do not need to be added. such things are already easy to install and uninstall. i do think changing the swap size which i did when i last meta dr. and changing the setting in the other files would be beneficial though.
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    That would be a great idea however i dont think you need to include the kernel change. i personally have much better success with f-104. i would think that if you know how to meta dr. than choosing your kernel should not be a problem. with that i would think that even the apps and patch do not need to be added. such things are already easy to install and uninstall. i do think changing the swap size which i did when i last meta dr. and changing the setting in the other files would be beneficial though.
    Maybe we can let people decide upon what kernel to use at metadoctor?
    thats a good idea, something in the makefile to determine the kernel, i like it.
    Hey guys.

Like I said in some posts above, my Sprint Pre- is slower than ever since doing the process mentioned in these last few pages. BUT, I don't know yet if the problem is that my phone doesn't like all this, or that I did something wrong. I will probably do a total Doctor in the next couple of days. Here's my question; Is there anything I should/could do at the time of building my Doctor to have some of these things incorporated into it (e.g. resize swap partition)? I remember a couple of pages back that Rod said this is now possible to do. Can someone just give me a few pointers please?

Thanks in advance.
    yeah when you go to run the dr. there is a option in the make file to increase the swap partition, i did this when it was very early on but it worked great. now that everything else is a nice patch it should be easy to finish everything else.
    Hey guys.

Like I said in some posts above, my Sprint Pre- is slower than ever since doing the process mentioned in these last few pages. BUT, I don't know yet if the problem is that my phone doesn't like all this, or that I did something wrong. I will probably do a total Doctor in the next couple of days. Here's my question; Is there anything I should/could do at the time of building my Doctor to have some of these things incorporated into it (e.g. resize swap partition)? I remember a couple of pages back that Rod said this is now possible to do. Can someone just give me a few pointers please?

Thanks in advance.
    I would suggest Doctoring and then applying these steps, but maybe omitting the Sysctl patch first.

That is the most experimental patch out of all of them imo.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    How do you delete the sysctl.patch? The steps leading up to this one seemed to work, but once I installed sysctl I have had multiple issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by settelma View Post
    How do you delete the sysctl.patch? The steps leading up to this one seemed to work, but once I installed sysctl I have had multiple issues.
    Find it in your "Installed Packages" in Preware, and just uninstall it.

I will try it now for 24 hrs before I decide to doctor.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I did look for it under installed packages and it is not listed? The procedure to install it was not utilizing the PREWARE software. Any other ideas?
    I did look for it under installed packages and it is not listed? The procedure to install it was not utilizing the PREWARE software. Any other ideas?
    How did you install it? WOSQI? Internalz?
    shouldn't WOSQI be the best way to install it
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I sent it to my PRE via email and then installed it via internalz by clicking on the file.
    I sent it to my PRE via email and then installed it via internalz by clicking on the file.
    I don't think it installed then, because I installed it the same way and it shows up in Preware.
    Last edited by ApplePie; 08/16/2011 at 05:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    I would suggest Doctoring and then applying these steps, but maybe omitting the Sysctl patch first.

That is the most experimental patch out of all of them imo.
    I went ahead and uninstalled the sysctl patch (before deciding to dr.) and my device is now like it was a few weeks ago before doing the steps in this thread, so it seems that the issues I was having recently was tied to this patch. Can anybody involved in this give me some pointers as to what I can change around to test? I envy those that say they got their's to run great!
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Ok, so after I installed the luna patch today, the sysctl patch displayed in preware? So I just deleted sysctl patch and will see if this corrects my constant lock up. How do we tell when an update to these patches have been made?
    Last edited by settelma; 08/17/2011 at 12:06 AM.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    so I have doing some testing with my pre- and webos 2.0 since it seems to be locking up on me after a couple of months of using 2.0 on my pre-. Used 90% of the item on this page, and although it helped it did not stop the lock up. But if I run it in roam mode only it works like a charm. Anyone else see this or is it a fluke?
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    so I have doing some testing with my pre- and webos 2.0 since it seems to be locking up on me after a couple of months of using 2.0 on my pre-. Used 90% of the item on this page, and although it helped it did not stop the lock up. But if I run it in roam mode only it works like a charm. Anyone else see this or is it a fluke?
    Finally, something I want to read about.

I noticed something similar. Currently I am back on 1.4.5 but before I did I noticed that my phone had no issues when I had the 3G network turned Off. No lockups and no lag. As soon as I turned the network on the systoms began to appear. With wifi On I did have some lags but not as bad as when the 3G network was On.

I do miss some features on version 2.1 so do plan on doctoring soon and doing this process again.
    Palm Lifedrive --> Palm Centro --> Palm Pre (Sprint)