Page 52 of 55 FirstFirst ... 242474849505152535455 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1081
Like Tree13Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beastobadness View Post
    So are you saying that to get the full benefit from the sysctl.conf and luna.conf patches, you have to also resize your swap and disable compcache?

Just I was under the impression that you could use the two patches above as standalone optimizations!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Please do all the steps provided in the wiki.

If you were reading a manual on building a deck, you wouldnt cut the wood, then skip the part about screwing it all together.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Please do all the steps provided in the wiki.

If you were reading a manual on building a deck, you wouldnt cut the wood, then skip the part about screwing it all together.
    Suppose not! Good god, what a dumb ***** I feel like now!!

Thanks for clarifying that for me rmausser.

I am getting some hangs after doing the whole process and I think it's because I did something wrong. How can I check if I did things correctly?
    I've been using AV8B Harrier II for the past few days (v2.0.1-71) which I COULD NOT USE BEFORE APPLYING THESE CHANGES outlined in the Wiki without constant crashes and freezes. My Pre- with a GSM board is FLYING right now. THIS IS AMAZING!!! I've manually tweaked the voltages to my sweet spot and so far so good. I've played Angry Birds with Pandora in the background. Opened around 10 cards (Weather Channel, Facebook, browsing, email, Precentral, etc.) This used to crash my device every time without this swap clearing magic. I'm very impressed.
    The only weird thing that happened was Preware, Internalz, and Govnah all lost data overnight and had to be Save/Restored this morning along with some other minor cookies disappearing. Thanks again to this forum and the webOS community. This makes my launch day Pre a nice snappy test device and backup to my Sprint Frankenpre2. Extremely happy!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ApplePie View Post
    I am getting some hangs after doing the whole process and I think it's because I did something wrong. How can I check if I did things correctly?
    Overclock kernel: You should have an icon in Launcher for the kernel. Go to Govnah to make sure its at 1ghz.

Patches: In Preware go to Installed Packages to view if the patches installed.

Swap resize: From linux terminal (or the Terminus app from Preware) type:

(first type "novaterm" to connect to your Pre if using a computer terminal)

Code:
    sbin/swapon -s
    You should not have a compcache file there and your swapon file should be 500 or so mb.
    Overclock kernel: You should have an icon in Launcher for the kernel. Go to Govnah to make sure its at 1ghz.

Code:
    sbin/swapon -s
    You should not have a compcache file there and your swapon file should be 500 or so mb.
    WOW! Just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work, testing, and perfect documentation for this project that worked perfectly in my case. My Pre- is now running Smooth and Silky! Sorli...
    Everything seemed to go fine for me even though I had to alter the compcache file manually because the patch would not install but as they say 'no problemo'.

How do you know if compcache is not being used or would it show up with the /sbin/swapon -s command?

Just govnah still shows the compcache to be enabled in the default for the AV8b Harrier kernel that I am using!

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I want to try the f104 kernel to see how it performs with the patches, but it wont install because of the verifacation failed on ramzswap.ko and xvmalloc.ko as they have been modified by the patches (i think) but i am able to reinstall the f105 kernel?
    Quote Originally Posted by sturgie View Post
    I want to try the f104 kernel to see how it performs with the patches, but it wont install because of the verifacation failed on ramzswap.ko and xvmalloc.ko as they have been modified by the patches (i think) but i am able to reinstall the f105 kernel?
    Yeah I had the exact same problem with F104, it doesn't like the fact certain files have been modified!
    I take it that it works with F105 because it is used in the wiki.
    I know it definitely works with AV8b because I am using it now!

i am using f-104 right now, cant say for sure because i made all of these changes manually a while ago and not through the patches but it is running great.
    I would like to see some commandline code to get us back to the original state of stuff. Thanks in advance.
    I would like to see some commandline code to get us back to the original state of stuff. Thanks in advance.
    Just redo all the steps with different sizes and uninstall the patches. Just remember, if you are going back, increase the LVM size for /media/internal before you increase the vfat size. Other than that, it's the same steps but using different sizes.

For Pixi owners, I've been successfully running my increased swap for a few days now without issue. However, as I mentioned, the Pixi (or at least in 1.4.5) lacks resizefat. So, you will need to install the required optware bits. Please see the optware section on the webos-internals wiki (Optware - WebOS Internals). Basically, follow the steps there to install the required packages in Preware before going to novaterm. In novaterm, follow their example, but install the fatresize package vs. python. There's also other goodies in optware that you may be interested in after checking out the list.

Having the fatresize package is not enough though. Due to how optware is implemented, if /media/internal is not mounted, you can't use the packages from it. So, you will need to copy all the files installed with the fatresize package (this includes parted and e2fsck) from the /opt directory to /. If you are unsure about how to copy these files, or where to find them, DO NOT DO THIS MODIFICATION AND STOP BEFORE YOU DAMAGE YOUR PHONE. But once these files are in /, then you are free to umount /media/internal and proceed. The only difference between the wiki rmausser posted and this method is when you resize fat, the command string looks like this instead:

fatresize -s [insert desired size] /dev/store/media

All the other steps are the same after that (though I couldn't run swapoff or mkswap but a reset accomplished these steps for me). I think maybe swapoff should be run before the lvm is messed with, and then those steps would probably have worked.

So now, I decreased my ramzswap partition from 40 MB (~15 MB actually max) to 32 MB (equal to roughly the 10MB stock). Again, so far so good. I haven't beat on Luna quite yet though but I think with the sysctl settings and the increased swap, lock-ups will be a thing of the past for all of us.
    In general, if you don't know how to reverse a step before you do it, then you shouldn't attempt it in the first place - you should do more research first or wait for a better packaged solution which you can just uninstall from Preware.

-- Rod
    You can always run the webOS Doctor from the command line

Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Since these modifications, I am unable to get OpenSSH to authenticate connections. Is anyone else having this problem? When I try to PuTTY in with my key pair, I get a "connection refused" error.
    heino likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rksand View Post
    Since these modifications, I am unable to get OpenSSH to authenticate connections. Is anyone else having this problem? When I try to PuTTY in with my key pair, I get a "connection refused" error.
    Did you make sure the /media/internal partition is mounted? Also, double check that the optware partition is mounted properly and isn't corrupt.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    The problem developed during the trials I've followed in this thread. Yesterday, I re-metadoctored my phone and the problem has persisted. If .media/internal weren't mounted, I wouldn't be able to navigate to it with interlalz, right?

How can I check the optware partition?
    Quote Originally Posted by rksand View Post
    The problem developed during the trials I've followed in this thread. Yesterday, I re-metadoctored my phone and the problem has persisted. If .media/internal weren't mounted, I wouldn't be able to navigate to it with interlalz, right?

How can I check the optware partition?
    I'm not sure if Internalz would list anything or not, but using ls in Terminal/novaterm would. Basically, if ls /opt and/or ls /media/internal outputs nothing, then it isn't mounted, or something is corrupt. This of course assumes that when the ssh client/server is installed via Preware, it installs in the optware partition, which I imagine is the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by beastobadness View Post
    Everything seemed to go fine for me even though I had to alter the compcache file manually because the patch would not install but as they say 'no problemo'.

How do you know if compcache is not being used or would it show up with the /sbin/swapon -s command?

Just govnah still shows the compcache to be enabled in the default for the AV8b Harrier kernel that I am using!

compcache will show up in the /sbin/swapon -s as ramzswap

Code:
    sbin/swapon -s
    This is my output from "sbin/swapon -s" :

Code:
    C:\Users\?????\Desktop\WebOS-QI>"C:/Program Files/Palm, Inc/novacom.exe" -d 898e
    1e7715fe312654c17fd867e170c0216c96d2 -t open tty://
    root@Dr:/# sbin/swapon -s
    sbin/swapon -s
    Filename                                Type            Size    Used    Priority

/dev/ramzswap0                          partition       532472  105824  100
    root@Dr:/#
    root@Dr:/#
    Is it good? The reason I ask is because all I hear/read is "500 or so", but I think I typed something wrong and tried to correct it, so I want to know if this is what others are getting.

Also, is there a way to check if the /media/internal/ has been resized properly?

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    In general, if you don't know how to reverse a step before you do it, then you shouldn't attempt it in the first place - you should do more research first or wait for a better packaged solution which you can just uninstall from Preware.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    You can always run the webOS Doctor from the command line
    Yup, I knew all along that I'm taking a risk of needing to doctor. I understand that this may be my only way out of this. But I don't think this should keep me from asking some help before doing the ultimate step. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    Just redo all the steps with different sizes and uninstall the patches. Just remember, if you are going back, increase the LVM size for /media/internal before you increase the vfat size. Other than that, it's the same steps but using different sizes.
    On a Sprint Pre Minus running the latest Sprint meta doctor for 2.1, does anyone know what these sizes are? Thanks in advance.