Page 50 of 55 FirstFirst ... 404546474849505152535455 LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1081
Like Tree13Likes
    I'm getting the same things for those 2 values delacro. Mine seems much faster too. So far no freezes. I've been running stock kernel and very minimal patching. Time to overclock and put it to the test!
    Quote Originally Posted by delacro View Post
    I manually entered the compcache file to the existing compcache file (I emailed the original to myself in case I need to reinstall it).

When I type "/sbin/swapon -s", I get this:
    root@Palm Pre:/# /sbin/swapon -s
    Filename Type Size Used Priority
    /dev/mapper/store-swap partition 532472 51304 -1

When I type "cat /proc/ramzswap", I get the following:
    root@Palm Pre:/# cat /proc/ramzswap
    cat: can't open '/proc/ramzswap': No such file or directory

runs pretty smooth and apps open quick. So far I like it. Well see what happens in a day or 2
    That means you did something wrong in the compcache file that didn't allow it to be enabled. What does yours look like and who's instructions did you follow for manually editing it?
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    That means you did something wrong in the compcache file that didn't allow it to be enabled. What does yours look like and who's instructions did you follow for manually editing it?
    Thanks Bassman97.

Attached is the compcache file I manually inputted. Basically what I did was download the compcache file from the wiki:

WebOS 2 Upgrade Pre Minus - WebOS Internals

I opened the file in internalz pro (/internal/media) then copied the text. Then I went into /etc/event.d/compcache and opened that file and deleted the orginal text and pasted the updated version. I then saved the file and rebooted my phone. As you can see I have Linux enabled in internalz

The phone does respond much quicker than before but I did experience some lag last night. I am guessing you are correct that compcache is not installed correctly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by delacro; 07/29/2011 at 09:49 AM.
    Palm Lifedrive --> Palm Centro --> Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I have a question about the other two patches I downloaded from the wiki, luna.conf and sysctl.conf.

I wanted to change the settings from sysctl.conf. When I opened the file in internal (/etc/) it opens in word. Is this how it is suppose to be installed? I have to uninstall the patch, modify the patch in internalz, then install it again with the settings I want to try. Is that how everyone else is modifying the settings?

Currently I am running version 1 from rmausser and want to try version 2.

Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    So, I am going to make the .ipk soon, but I cant decide between these two settings:

Version 1:

Quote:
    vm.swappiness = 90
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 40
    vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 1200
    vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 500
    vm.dirty_background_ratio = 5
    vm.dirty_ratio = 90
    vm.min_free_kbytes = 1024
    vm.max_map_count = 131072
    vm.overcommit_memory = 1
    vm.overcommit_ratio = 70
    vm.zone_reclaim_mode = 2
    kernel.shmmax = 268435456
    kernel.shmall = 16777216
    sched_compat_yield = 1
    vm.page-cluster = 4
    vm.lowmem_reserve_ratio = 1024

Version 2:

Quote:

vm.swappiness = 90
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 40
    vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 18000
    vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 6000
    vm.dirty_background_ratio = 50
    vm.dirty_ratio = 90
    vm.min_free_kbytes = 1024
    vm.max_map_count = 32768
    vm.overcommit_memory = 0
    vm.overcommit_ratio = 0
    vm.zone_reclaim_mode = 2
    kernel.shmmax = 268435456
    kernel.shmall = 16777216
    sched_compat_yield = 1
    vm.page-cluster = 3
    vm.lowmem_reserve_ratio = 1024

Can you people try both versions and tell me which one works better for you??

Thanks.

Rob
    Here are the settings in internalz for the file. Maybe I need to change something?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks Bassman97.

Attached is the compcache file I manually inputted. Basically what I did was download the compcache file from the wiki:

WebOS 2 Upgrade Pre Minus - WebOS Internals

I opened the file in internalz pro (/internal/media) then copied the text. Then I went into /etc/event.d/compcache and opened that file and deleted the orginal text and pasted the updated version. I then saved the file and rebooted my phone. As you can see I have Linux enabled in internalz

The phone does respond much quicker than before but I did experience some lag last night. I am guessing you are correct that compcache is not installed correctly.
    First, I would imagine that you cannot take a .patch file and copy-paste its contents to an existing system file. Secondly, as mentioned earlier, the compcache patch appears to not work. If you wish to get compcache without backing store, search the thread. My earlier instructions may or may not be correct, but search back and you will find what you need. Personally, I wouldn't be doing things like this without researching first, since stuff like this can cause severe problems (though not as bad as deleting graffiti on a Palm OS device).
    Are you opening this on your desktop or your phone? Do not edit this on your desktop, unless it is a linux text editor. If it's opening in DTG or QO on your phone, check the file extension and make sure it's .conf only, and not .doc. DO NOT PLAY WITH THE PERMISSION LEVELS UNLESS YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE DOING.
    Are you opening this on your desktop or your phone? Do not edit this on your desktop, unless it is a linux text editor. If it's opening in DTG or QO on your phone, check the file extension and make sure it's .conf only, and not .doc. DO NOT PLAY WITH THE PERMISSION LEVELS UNLESS YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE DOING.
    I'm having the same issues as delacro. I downloaded the three patches on a Windows 7 PC and they all installed (on device using Internalz) without errors, but I'm starting to think the windows encoding isn't playing nice with my Pre. I'm going to uninstall the versions I have of these patches (luna, sysctl.conf, and compcache), redownload them on Ubuntu, then reinstall them and see what happens. My partitioning via novaterm shows the same as delacro's when I check it with swapon -s.
    Last edited by matteebee13; 07/29/2011 at 12:07 PM.
    Stay thirsty, my friends
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I am only doing this through Internalz as I stated above. The file extension is .conf and not .doc

The patches seem to be the issue then. I will uninstall them and check back here every once in a while to see the progress.

thanks.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    I'm having the same issues as delacro. I downloaded the three patches on a Windows 7 PC and they all installed (on device using Internalz) without errors, but I'm starting to think the windows encoding isn't playing nice with my Pre. I'm going to uninstall the versions I have of these patches (luna, sysctl.conf, and compcache), redownload them on Ubuntu, then reinstall them and see what happens. My partitioning via novaterm shows the same as delacro's when I check it with swapon -s.
    I have windows Vista but I installed the patches through internalz pro, as stated in the wiki.

Matteebee13,

Can you go into /etc/ on internalz and open the sysctl.conf file. Does yours also open in widows?
    I am only doing this through Internalz as I stated above. The file extension is .conf and not .doc

The patches seem to be the issue then. I will uninstall them and check back here every once in a while to see the progress.

thanks.
    OK, so it's opening up in DTG/QO then, not Word, correct? Try moving the sysctl.conf file to /media/internal, create a new sysctl.conf in /etc, and copy-paste the contents of the old file into the new. Does this allow Internalz to open it? Also, check to make sure if Internalz is the default text editor.

For the other person, running Windows does not affect the file unless you open it. Running Ubuntu shouldn't make it work all of a sudden. The sysctl patch and luna patch should be working, unless you open it in Windows (which may decide to throw a .doc, .txt, etc extension), which then can cause issues. As far as I know, they work, since no one proved otherwise. What doesn't work, and what rmausser needs to fix when he gets some free time, is the compcache patch (unless the point is to completely disable it but I was under the impression otherwise).
    OK, so it's opening up in DTG/QO then, not Word, correct? Try moving the sysctl.conf file to /media/internal, create a new sysctl.conf in /etc, and copy-paste the contents of the old file into the new. Does this allow Internalz to open it? Also, check to make sure if Internalz is the default text editor.

For the other person, running Windows does not affect the file unless you open it. Running Ubuntu shouldn't make it work all of a sudden. The sysctl patch and luna patch should be working, unless you open it in Windows (which may decide to throw a .doc, .txt, etc extension), which then can cause issues. As far as I know, they work, since no one proved otherwise. What doesn't work, and what rmausser needs to fix when he gets some free time, is the compcache patch (unless the point is to completely disable it but I was under the impression otherwise).
    Bassman97, copy that. I'm away from my PC & tied up for a few days & this is my low priority dev phone, so I'll post back when I can tinker with it again. Thanks for your responses.

Please read the wiki everyone. The point of the compcache patch is to DISABLE compcache.

I repeat, we DO NOT want compcache running.

What we are doing is resizing the swap partition to 512mb, enabling linux swap rather than backing-swap as we found Linux Swap to be better at managing memory.

We are DISABLING compcache because what we found is that Linux Swap reads off the internal memory at around 24mb/s, and compcache reads at about 30mb/s. A trivial difference really.

Compcache uses up RAM that otherwise would be available. Why use up ram for swap when we have 8gb of fast internal memory available?
    I manually entered the compcache file to the existing compcache file (I emailed the original to myself in case I need to reinstall it).

When I type "/sbin/swapon -s", I get this:
    root@Palm Pre:/# /sbin/swapon -s
    Filename Type Size Used Priority
    /dev/mapper/store-swap partition 532472 51304 -1

When I type "cat /proc/ramzswap", I get the following:
    root@Palm Pre:/# cat /proc/ramzswap
    cat: can't open '/proc/ramzswap': No such file or directory

runs pretty smooth and apps open quick. So far I like it. Well see what happens in a day or 2
    This is great, you did things right. your partition is resized and you have disabled compcache, you are good to go!
    I am moving into my new apartment everyone, so I will fix the compcache patch soon.

If you are too impatient than just replace the text in the compcache file located at "etc/event.d/compcache in Internalz Pro with the text below:

Make sure Linux Editing is turned on in Internalz Pro settings first!!

Code:
    # -*- mode: shell-script; -*-
    start on stopped swaphack
    stop on runlevel [!2]
    console none
    script
    if [ -e /etc/palm/preferences/compcache_enabled ]; then
    swapoff -a
    sleep 1
    modprobe xvmalloc
    sleep 3
    mkswap /dev/store/swap
    swapon /dev/store/swap
    fi
    end script
    Please read the wiki everyone. The point of the compcache patch is to DISABLE compcache.

I repeat, we DO NOT want compcache running.

What we are doing is resizing the swap partition to 512mb, enabling linux swap rather than backing-swap as we found Linux Swap to be better at managing memory.

We are DISABLING compcache because what we found is that Linux Swap reads off the internal memory at around 24mb/s, and compcache reads at about 30mb/s. A trivial difference really.

Compcache uses up RAM that otherwise would be available. Why use up ram for swap when we have 8gb of fast internal memory available?
    Sorry for the confusion rmausser and all. I thought the point was to keep compcache on but without backing_store. In that case, the compcache patch does work as intended. It appaers I miss understood it's purpose.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    To the Resets - This could be one of two things:

1) F-105 kernel. Either increase the CPU and System voltages in Govnah or try Unberkernel. F-105 isnt for everyone.

2) Sysctl.patch. I seem to have a pretty robust Pre and there could be a setting in the sysctl file that could be causing the issue. If random reboots are happening even after trying step 1) above, then uninstall the sysctl.patch from Preware.

If the resets stop please let me know if it was 1) or 2) that solved it. Thanks
    increased volatages, and no more random resets, thanks
    This is great, you did things right. your partition is resized and you have disabled compcache, you are good to go!
    I have the same results. Overclocked now and had to increase voltages as well (by increments of 4!) Running even smoother on UK screenstate 500/1000 with NO FREEZES! This is monumental for me. Before using the steps in the wiki and these same increased voltage settings overclocked, constant lag and freezes. Now with the 3 magic patches and overclocked FAST & STABLE. I consider this a breakthrough and quite successful!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    I have the same results. Overclocked now and had to increase voltages as well (by increments of 4!) Running even smoother on UK screenstate 500/1000 with NO FREEZES! This is monumental for me. Before using the steps in the wiki and these same increased voltage settings overclocked, constant lag and freezes. Now with the 3 magic patches and overclocked FAST & STABLE. I consider this a breakthrough and quite successful!!!
    Cheers to the thanks everyone, but the thanks goes to everyone in this forum who contributed. I just made the wiki and tweaked things a little.

thanks.
    You have to delete the .conf on a file to have it open in the Internalz editor... I dont know why, ask Jason Robitaille.

Dont forget to rename it to .conf again after!! haha. (did this way too many times )
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    You have to delete the .conf on a file to have it open in the Internalz editor... I dont know why, ask Jason Robitaille.

Dont forget to rename it to .conf again after!! haha. (did this way too many times )
    ah, Thanks.