Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1.    #81  
    i added the new codes by xanadu73, and when I reset my pre- I just get a never ending picture of a penguin (2.1) on my screen. The phone will not boot up fully, pulled battery multiple times and waited alot and still no go.

i created the file using Internalz and and placed it in the /etc/sysctl.conf

I added the # infront of echo

reset the phone and poof, nothin but penguin.
    any chance I won't have to doctor the phone, I know this is always the risk of testing but, can I access these files with my Macbook and just change them back?
    What does this button do?

crappy phones -->treo 600--> 700p--> 755p--> Pre--->Pre- 2.1 F104-----Franken Pre+ 2.1 f105 ---> Franken pre2 2.2.4
    touchpad 16gig uberkernel woop woop!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by loopytee View Post
    i added the new codes by xanadu73, and when I reset my pre- I just get a never ending picture of a penguin (2.1) on my screen. The phone will not boot up fully, pulled battery multiple times and waited alot and still no go.

i created the file using Internalz and and placed it in the /etc/sysctl.conf

I added the # infront of echo

reset the phone and poof, nothin but penguin.
    any chance I won't have to doctor the phone, I know this is always the risk of testing but, can I access these files with my Macbook and just change them back?
    No need to Doctor. You can use novaterm and nano to quick edit the file to take the # out. I can't sit here and say why it's not booting. I have no issue with it. The sysctl.conf file isn't going to dump it. The best thing to do would be to just copy the backup of the original over the modified one and just let it go ahead and dump (or forcibly reboot it) and all will be well.

M.
  3.    #83  
    sounds great, and what? lol

I'll see what i can figure out
    thanks

crappy phones -->treo 600--> 700p--> 755p--> Pre--->Pre- 2.1 F104-----Franken Pre+ 2.1 f105 ---> Franken pre2 2.2.4
    sounds great, and what? lol

I'll see what i can figure out
    thanks
    I'm not sure I understand the "and what?" part. If you comment that line (and save! ), and make the thing reboot, it should reboot. *Possibly* one of my other edits is the key to this.

I'll type that once I'm back at a keyboard so I can verify the lines.

M.
  5.    #85  
    thanks, the "and what" was just in reference to how far over my head this is, I know its probably pretty basic but I am mostly just winging what ever I do with my pre. it has defiantly been a good learning experience. I have a macbook and am unsure of how to access my pre. I have been able to get it into usb mode but it does not show up as attached to my lap top. I am unsure of how to access the phone through the terminal on the laptop (mac) so this is my predicament.

6.    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    No need to Doctor. You can use novaterm and nano to quick edit the file to take the # out. I can't sit here and say why it's not booting. I have no issue with it. The sysctl.conf file isn't going to dump it. The best thing to do would be to just copy the backup of the original over the modified one and just let it go ahead and dump (or forcibly reboot it) and all will be well.

M.
    could somebody tell me how to do this on a mac?
    thanks

could somebody tell me how to do this on a mac?
    thanks
    You meta-doctored your phone, right? So you have novacom installed. Open a terminal. Plug your phone into your machine. USB mode doesn't matter, it's not needed. Type "novaterm". You should now have a command prompt open to your phone. You can edit the file ( /etc/event.d/LunaSysMgr" and take the # out from before...

hmm. This might work to get it to boot. It's just sitting at Rod's Tux, right? You can still open a prompt to it. You might just have to be a bit fast. Once you novaterm in type at the prompt (or copy and paste):

echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory

See if it boots. Once it boots, you can then edit the file with the Internalz thing. Once it boots, install "nano" from preware and use that from the command line because when it doesn't boot, Internalz ain't gonna help you any.

EDIT:

If that doens't work, from the normal Mac terminal (not connected to your phone):

novacom get file://etc/event.d/LunaSysMgr > ~/LunaSysMgr

That file will be in the home dir of your Mac. Edit it there. I THINK it'll be OK. I'm not sure what EOL Mac uses, but, it should be OK for Linux (I think). Then:

novacom put file://etc/event.d/LunaSysMgr < ~/LunaSysMgr

And forcibly reboot the phone Yank the battery if you have to).

NOTE to anyone reading this: *NEVER* do this with Windows. At least not with notepad or wordpad. Windows will screw up the EOL's of the file and make it unusable on Linux (ANY OS other for that matter...). On Windows use Notepad++ (free and small).

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 05/02/2011 at 10:49 PM.
    I am testing now The Xanadu73 Way of Linux to Clearing Swap Memory (Post#74, 05/02/2011, 10:53 PM) with good preliminary results.
    But I have a couple of questions (maybe more than a couple):

1) Is it necessary with this method have the files swapcleanup.sh in /etc/init.d/ and swapcleanswap in /etc/event.d/? Or even swapcleanup.sh in /var/usr/bin/ and swapcleanswap in /var/palm/event.d/? Can delete these files if you make changes to /etc/event.d/LunaSysMgr and creates the file /etc/sysctl.conf proposed by this method?

2) Sorry for my Linux ignorance but, what mechanism triggers the memory cleaning? Or simply the proposed changes would achieve a better management of device-specific memory Pre-(low memory) meta-doctored to 2.1.0 and with enhanced kernels?

If swapcleanup.sh and swapcleanswap file aren't needed anymore it isn't necessary to read the third question.
    3) If the files (swapcleanup.sh and swapcleanswap) are still needed, wherever they are, what about the two copies of swapcleanup.sh running reported by NickVTPre (I am with the same issue too)
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    One thing i noticed when i used the upstart version of this, is that a "ps -A" would list two copies of swapcleanup.sh running. Not sure if this is to be expected, or was an artifact of using the swaphack stopped as the loading point.

Can anyone else verify that the upstart version is indeed running with the above command?
    Spanish translator of Outline Tracker, UberCalendar, sconix's advanced patches, and other MIA webOS apps. HP Pre 3 and HP TouchPad 64 GB (Espaņol_Espaņa, es_es)
  9.    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    You meta-doctored your phone, right? So you have novacom installed. Open a terminal. Plug your phone into your machine. USB mode doesn't matter, it's not needed. Type "novaterm". You should now have a command prompt open to your phone. You can edit the file ( /etc/event.d/LunaSysMgr" and take the # out from before...

hmm. This might work to get it to boot. It's just sitting at Rod's Tux, right? You can still open a prompt to it. You might just have to be a bit fast. Once you novaterm in type at the prompt (or copy and paste):

echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory

See if it boots. Once it boots, you can then edit the file with the Internalz thing. Once it boots, install "nano" from preware and use that from the command line because when it doesn't boot, Internalz ain't gonna help you any.

EDIT:

If that doens't work, from the normal Mac terminal (not connected to your phone):

novacom get file://etc/event.d/LunaSysMgr > ~/LunaSysMgr

That file will be in the home dir of your Mac. Edit it there. I THINK it'll be OK. I'm not sure what EOL Mac uses, but, it should be OK for Linux (I think). Then:

novacom put file://etc/event.d/LunaSysMgr < ~/LunaSysMgr

And forcibly reboot the phone Yank the battery if you have to).

NOTE to anyone reading this: *NEVER* do this with Windows. At least not with notepad or wordpad. Windows will screw up the EOL's of the file and make it unusable on Linux (ANY OS other for that matter...). On Windows use Notepad++ (free and small).

M.
    Thanks for all your help with this. I spent a couple of hours this morning trying to get this to work for me. Most often I kept getting errors about no such file. When I looked further I found that the path opt/Palm/novacom doesn't even exist on my mac. I created the folder Palm with the folder novacom inside of it, then found all the novacom files in a folder called nova, copied those to the newly created opt/Palm/novacom file and still got the same error. I noticed that terminal was showing the name of the profile I was using and the opt/palm/novacom files where all on the general computer files, so I copied the whole file opt/Palm/novacom with all the files over to the profile it was indicating and still had errors. So I ended up doctoring the phone, oh well, I have learned a lot from this experience.
    Thanks again for the help
    -P

Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    One thing i noticed when i used the upstart version of this, is that a "ps -A" would list two copies of swapcleanup.sh running. Not sure if this is to be expected, or was an artifact of using the swaphack stopped as the loading point.

Can anyone else verify that the upstart version is indeed running with the above command?
    Hey,

So I have been testing out these kernel tweaks over the swap hack. Seems to handle the memory management much better. I'm noticing that under normal usage the swap is rarely increased. However if it is increased I'm not seeing much of a decrease. But it doesn't seem to matter as much with the memory managed so well. I'm kind of interested in those more dangerous tweaks lol
    Tried Xanadu73's method by editing the file via Internalz does not work. Ended up with the endless penguin. So I restored the original file. Then tried editing the file with Note++ and sent to my Pre via WebOSQuickInstall. Now no endless penguin. Will have to see how well it works.

happy trails...
    Quote Originally Posted by somagarn View Post
    Tried Xanadu73's method by editing the file via Internalz does not work. Ended up with the endless penguin. So I restored the original file. Then tried editing the file with Note++ and sent to my Pre via WebOSQuickInstall. Now no endless penguin. Will have to see how well it works.

happy trails...
    I edit all my Pre files with Internalz Pro or Internalz but it is fundamental to change in Preferences of Internalz in Text Editor section the New Line Format to LINUX (Windows is the default option).
    If you change any text system file with the editor of Internalz (or with any Windows text editor that does not allow changing the format new line to Unix mode) with a new line format other than Linux is a certain disaster.
    Spanish translator of Outline Tracker, UberCalendar, sconix's advanced patches, and other MIA webOS apps. HP Pre 3 and HP TouchPad 64 GB (Espaņol_Espaņa, es_es)
  13.    #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by CptOx View Post
    I edit all my Pre files with Internalz Pro or Internalz but it is fundamental to change in Preferences of Internalz in Text Editor section the New Line Format to LINUX (Windows is the default option).
    If you change any text system file with the editor of Internalz (or with any Windows text editor that does not allow changing the format new line to Unix mode) with a new line format other than Linux is a certain disaster.
    i am a case in point of this, well now I know, thanks

I'm more of a vi /vim kind of guy. If you edit the files with internalz the new line has to be set to LINUX. But memory management is great. After an entire day of use I only have 30mb of swap and 215mb memory showing in govnah. Normally by this hour I'm looking at 230/60+. Good stuff!
    I have been closely following this thread but am not willing to mess around with my only phone (dont have a landline) to this extent.

Following metadoctor and installing patches with Preware is one thing, this is some next-level kinda stuff.

Would it be possible once you guys figure out the best method (weather the kernel modifications or the memory management or a combination of both) to be made into one .ipk package that I could just install in Preware?

I would pay $20 for someone to make an easily installable file for this.

Or maybe UnixPsycho would be interested in adding the kernel hacks into his Thunderchief kernel?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by theXfactor2011 View Post
    I'm more of a vi /vim kind of guy. If you edit the files with internalz the new line has to be set to LINUX. But memory management is great. After an entire day of use I only have 30mb of swap and 215mb memory showing in govnah. Normally by this hour I'm looking at 230/60+. Good stuff!
    It is not working for me the slowww is still there. What's more, now sometime the UI is less responsive.
    Yeah i really want this to work as i think it would really help us with a pre- but it seems at this point to not be worth the risk. i agree that maybe something can be added to a kernel to do this automatically. that would be ideal. but who knows. hopefully a good method will eventually be found.
    Question: Does the latest Xanadu method work with any kernel? I'm running F104A 2.1.0-41. I'd love to try this (have missed some important calls due to lockups), but want to be sure about kernel compatibility first.

Also, any thoughts people have about optimal compache size with this hack (if any) would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    I have been closely following this thread but am not willing to mess around with my only phone (dont have a landline) to this extent.

If you're feeling squeamish about playing with settings that have been played with in Linux Kernels for most of a decade, you can simply make a script and manually run it so after a reboot, it falls back to default:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

echo 20 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
    echo 180 > /proc/sys/vm/vfs_cache_pressure
    echo 300000 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_expire_centisecs
    echo 180000 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs
    echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory
    Though this way won't be as effective because LunaSysMgr sets overcommit_memory to "1" at boot time, so some needless junk will already have been cached by the time you get to run the script, but it'll still help.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Question: Does the latest Xanadu method work with any kernel? I'm running F104A 2.1.0-41. I'd love to try this (have missed some important calls due to lockups), but want to be sure about kernel compatibility first.

Also, any thoughts people have about optimal compache size with this hack (if any) would be appreciated.

This works with any 2.6.* Linux Kernel (Palm uses a fairly old 2.6.24). 2.6.0 was released 18-Dec-2003 03:27 ( Index of /pub/linux/kernel/v2.6 ). You can do this on your Servers, your Desktops, your phones, your toasters, whatever runs Linux.

I haven't found a good compcache size yet. Palm's 10M is too small. That much is certain in my eyes. I've been running at 16M for a few weeks now. 12M or 14M might be OK with these memory "management" settings, though.

M.
Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast