Page 49 of 55 FirstFirst ... 394445464748495051525354 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    I guess we'll see if he's watching! I still do appreciate your input as well.
    I am watching, and I am perplexed.

Uninstall and reinstall the patch?
    So what do I need to do if compcache.patch won't install? I can't even find the compcache.rej file in event.d to see what is wrong...
    I cannot install the compcache patch either.

Also, anyone else notice the slowdown after logging into your gtalk account through the messaging app? The phone becomes uber slow and hangs up a lot.

I've followed the guide in its entirety except for the compcache patch which wont install for me.
    @rmausser: unistalled patch, rebooted, reinstalled patch, rebooted - still shows that the compcache patch is installed from internalz pro, but when I type "cat /proc/ramzswap" it initially said "file or directory does not exist. I then re-enabled compache through govnah at 10MB - and got same ouput as before. Also, when I change compcache to different levels through govnah, I get similar out put but with appropriate MemLimit changes: 10240 when set at 10MB, 32768 when set at 32MB, etc.

Hope this is useful.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I am also having trouble installing the compcache patch
    Palm Lifedrive --> Palm Centro --> Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkreisberg22 View Post
    @rmausser: unistalled patch, rebooted, reinstalled patch, rebooted - still shows that the compcache patch is installed from internalz pro, but when I type "cat /proc/ramzswap" it initially said "file or directory does not exist. I then re-enabled compache through govnah at 10MB - and got same ouput as before. Also, when I change compcache to different levels through govnah, I get similar out put but with appropriate MemLimit changes: 10240 when set at 10MB, 32768 when set at 32MB, etc.

Hope this is useful.
    Seems like the compcache patch is not properly installing. The compcache file I believe is located in /etc/event.d. It might be helpful to rmausser if you post what the file looks like (compcache, not the entire contents of event.d). If you do feel daring, and have no problem taking responsibility if your phone goes Chernobyl, you can edit the stock compcache file as discussed here with Internalz. Just make sure Newline is on Linux in preferences. But for the time being, it's not a major deal as the patch only resizes the compcache partition and changes it from using it's own backing store to letting Linux handle the multiple partitions. Govnah already let's you do the former, just the latter requires you to manually edit the compcache file.
    @bassman97: how do i get to and then post the compcache file?
    In Internalz, go to the /etc/event.d directory. You should see a file labeled compcache there. Make sure the patch is installed first though before posting.
    Ok, with patch still installed (but apparently not functioning appropriately) there were two files in /etc/event.d. One labelled compcache and the other labelled compcache.webosinternals.orig.

compcache:

# -*- mode: shell-script; -*-
    start on stopped swaphack
    stop on runlevel [!2]
    console none
    script
    if [ -e /etc/palm/preferences/compcache_enabled ]; then
    swapoff -a
    sleep 1
    modprobe xvmalloc
    modprobe ramzswap memlimit_kb=10240 backing_swap=/dev/store/swap
    sleep 3
    swapon /dev/ramzswap0 -p 100
    fi
    end script

compcache.webosinternals.orig:

stop on runlevel [!2]
    console none
    script
    swapoff -a
    sleep 1
    modprobe xvmalloc
    sleep 3
    mkswap /dev/store/swap
    swapon /dev/store/swap
    fi
    end script

Hope those are what may help.
    my solution to install compcache.
    backup my data.
    doctor my phone.
    aply wiki instructions.
    my pre fly like a 1.4.5 pre
    Ok, with patch still installed (but apparently not functioning appropriately) there were two files in /etc/event.d. One labelled compcache and the other labelled compcache.webosinternals.orig.

compcache:

stop on runlevel [!2]
    console none
    script
    swapoff -a
    sleep 1
    modprobe xvmalloc
    modprobe ramzswap memlimit_kb=10240 backing_swap=/dev/store/swap
    sleep 3
    fi
    end script

compcache.webosinternals.orig:

stop on runlevel [!2]
    console none
    script
    swapoff -a
    sleep 1
    modprobe xvmalloc
    sleep 3
    mkswap /dev/store/swap
    swapon /dev/store/swap
    fi
    end script

Hope those are what may help.
    Alright, the compcache file is what we're interested in (the other is the backup of the original, though someone can correct me if I'm wrong). What's odd is the backed up original is the actual modified one, but it doesn't include anything to specify the actual disksize (the size of the compcache partition). If you want what we all have, either wait for the patch to be fixed or if you're brave and will blame no one but yourself for issues that arise after modifying the file, make the compcahe file look like this (bold marks the changed line, for you to compare):

stop on runlevel [!2]
    console none
    script
    swapoff -a
    sleep 1
    modprobe xvmalloc
    modprobe ramzswap disksize_kb=[pick a disk size you like, just don't include brackets]
    sleep 3
    fi
    end script
    @bassman: I thought the purpose here was to resize compcache ram from a max of 100MB to 512MB, so would the value to put be 512000? And is this one of those times where I need to make sure the editor is linux?
    @bassman: I thought the purpose here was to resize compcache ram from a max of 100MB to 512MB, so would the value to put be 512000? And is this one of those times where I need to make sure the editor is linux?
    AHHHHH, NO! do NOT DOT THAT!!!

We are NOT resizing compcache, we are DISABLING compcache.

Hence why lines are removed from the compcache file, to never enable it at boot.

We are resizing the swap. Swap is NOT compcache.

If you resize compcache to 512 your phone will NOT boot or worse.

Compcache runs on RAM. The Pre has only 256mb of ram...resizing compcache to 512mb will... well you get the picture.

DO NOT DO THIS.

I will look into the compcache patch and fix it soon.
    As rmausser said, compcache and disk swap are separate. The goal of the compcache patch is to let Linux handle it, vs. the standard compcache code. Basically, compcache in stock form uses a backing disk. So, when the portion of RAM used in compcache is full, everything afterwards is sent to the backing disk, the disk swap partition. This way has been deemed less efficient then letting Linux handle the redirecting itself. So, the patch aims to use compcache without the backing disk. So, Linux, not the compcache code, directs where data is sent (whether it's to the disk swap or the RAM/compcache swap). You are just confusing this with increasing the size of the disk swap space/partition, which you appear to have done successfully (given you said the swap is greater than 500 MB if I remember).
    @rmausser and bassman97: thanks guys, and I will await your useful input. Thanks for working with me on this! I appreciate your time and efforts!
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    Alright, the compcache file is what we're interested in (the other is the backup of the original, though someone can correct me if I'm wrong). What's odd is the backed up original is the actual modified one, but it doesn't include anything to specify the actual disksize (the size of the compcache partition). If you want what we all have, either wait for the patch to be fixed or if you're brave and will blame no one but yourself for issues that arise after modifying the file, make the compcahe file look like this (bold marks the changed line, for you to compare):

stop on runlevel [!2]
    console none
    script
    swapoff -a
    sleep 1
    modprobe xvmalloc
    modprobe ramzswap disksize_kb=[pick a disk size you like, just don't include brackets]
    sleep 3
    fi
    end script
    Hey bassman, maybe you should edit this post... itīs just a matter of time til someone is going to hack this into his phone
    Greetz
    Quote Originally Posted by wizpig View Post
    Hey bassman, maybe you should edit this post... itīs just a matter of time til someone is going to hack this into his phone
    Greetz
    What's wrong with it? Again, like I said, I believe that's what the edit was for that file. Unfortunately, I don't have 2.1 so I don't actually have the compcache file (for 1.4.5 a script file is needed). I was just reiterating what I remembered from memory.
    Okay, just Doctored and followed the steps on the Wiki. Seems to be working good but resizing swap partition was funky with Novaterm. But ramzswap0 is showing 532472 so it maybe it worked? Things smooth as butter all day so I would assume so. Thanks for everyone's input on this.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I manually entered the compcache file to the existing compcache file (I emailed the original to myself in case I need to reinstall it).

When I type "/sbin/swapon -s", I get this:
    root@Palm Pre:/# /sbin/swapon -s
    Filename Type Size Used Priority
    /dev/mapper/store-swap partition 532472 51304 -1

When I type "cat /proc/ramzswap", I get the following:
    root@Palm Pre:/# cat /proc/ramzswap
    cat: can't open '/proc/ramzswap': No such file or directory

runs pretty smooth and apps open quick. So far I like it. Well see what happens in a day or 2
    Palm Lifedrive --> Palm Centro --> Palm Pre (Sprint)