Page 48 of 55 FirstFirst ... 384344454647484950515253 ... LastLast
Results 941 to 960 of 1081
Like Tree13Likes
  1. #941  
    Running extremely stable and fast so far using the steps provided on the Wiki page. I'm going to give this my usual Pandora Angry Birds Email Messaging while taking some Photos and web browsing tests for a few days, then attempt overclocking again. No freezes so far on day 2!!! Terrific work Rob and everybody else who has contributed to this thread. Real progress has definitely been made here. Before the partitioning and clearing the swap I was freezing up and crashing even after fresh Drs. and no patches. Now... STABLE & FAST! Very happy!!!
  2. sturgie's Avatar
    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    #942  
    my pre- is superb now thank you lot so much! ive had no problems apart from one random reset, not sure what caused it though
  3. #943  
    I have also been following this thread with great interest. Do we need the f105, or will UK suffice? TIA
  4. GreyRogue's Avatar
    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #944  
    I have some kind of strange behavior to report from my Pre-. If it is not something unique to me, it might make a good candidate to add to the wiki under the section that discusses clearing histories, uninstalling unused Just Type actions, etc.

    I had not upgraded my Pre- to 2.1 before the wiki was available. I meta-doctored to 2.1 according to the wiki instructions for that and made sure I had access to developer mode, Preware, Internalz, etc. I then followed the Pre- Upgrade Wiki up to (but not including) the swap partition resizing. After an epic struggle with my device (not related to anything in this thread), I managed to get my /media/internal directory emptied and my swap resized. At that point, my phone was flying! It was running 2.1 about as well as it had run 1.4.5. I then began the multi-day struggle to get my /media/internal stuff back on (again, an unrelated issue). I immediately noticed that my phone started to get bogged down as I copied files back onto it. After the App Catalog and Preware had finished redownloading all of my many many apps and the /media/internal directory had all of my info back, my device was dragging. I decided to delete some apps I rarely use, back up my Palm Profile and a few critical files from /media/internal and try meta-doctoring again. However, as I deleted apps, my phone started to show fewer hang-ups and stalls. By the time I had deleted about 20 unused apps, it was pretty snappy again. For the moment, I am going to hold off on further doctoring to see if it holds.

    My question is this: is there something about having a LOT of apps installed that might slow down the device (and especially Just Type)? Is the OS maintaining an index of apps or something that takes up a ton of memory even if the apps aren't running? If so, this might be some good advice to put in the wiki.
  5. #945  
    Total kudos to the community and yet again this shows and shames the very thing that HP could not do for themselves and that is get 2.1 to run fast and stable on legacy devices.

    HP absorbed compcache into webos 2 after the homebrew community showed how viable it was, wonder how long it takes them to incorporate this method using swap on??

    Although feeding the devices with enough ram will probably mean they will never need this methodology any way!!
  6. sturgie's Avatar
    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    #946  
    Quote Originally Posted by beastobadness View Post
    Although feeding the devices with enough ram will probably mean they will never need this methodology any way!!
    This methodology could be used when thre pre2 becomes outdated, when phones are running 1gb of ram and we want to meta our doctor our pre's to 2.x

    and i have and a number moments where my pre just shuts down, never happened before i installed the patches and increased swap
  7. #947  
    Quote Originally Posted by beastobadness View Post
    Total kudos to the community and yet again this shows and shames the very thing that HP could not do for themselves and that is get 2.1 to run fast and stable on legacy devices.

    HP absorbed compcache into webos 2 after the homebrew community showed how viable it was, wonder how long it takes them to incorporate this method using swap on??

    Although feeding the devices with enough ram will probably mean they will never need this methodology any way!!
    Well, although HP could have done this to get this on legacy devices, simple tuning like this would be helpful in any situation, versus just using defaults. But the problem is that compcache, as is, is used that way as a backing store was previously thought advantageous. This notion started to change after 2.0 was developed, hence why 2.x uses compcache with a backing store. I wonder if 3.0 uses the backing store as well too then.
  8. #948  
    Well, followed the wiki with no problem. Should we then turn compcache off in govnah? Or does it even matter?
  9. #949  
    Quote Originally Posted by jkreisberg22 View Post
    Well, followed the wiki with no problem. Should we then turn compcache off in govnah? Or does it even matter?
    Doesnt matter. If you installed the compcache.patch it should be off already.
  10. #950  
    Quote Originally Posted by jkreisberg22 View Post
    I have also been following this thread with great interest. Do we need the f105, or will UK suffice? TIA
    f105 is just a personal choice as it overclocks the RAM as well as the CPU, and the RAM is the real issue with WebOS 2.1 and the Pre Minus.

    But Uberkernel will work fine.
  11. #951  
    To the Resets - This could be one of two things:

    1) F-105 kernel. Either increase the CPU and System voltages in Govnah or try Unberkernel. F-105 isnt for everyone.

    2) Sysctl.patch. I seem to have a pretty robust Pre and there could be a setting in the sysctl file that could be causing the issue. If random reboots are happening even after trying step 1) above, then uninstall the sysctl.patch from Preware.

    If the resets stop please let me know if it was 1) or 2) that solved it. Thanks
  12. #952  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyRogue View Post
    I have some kind of strange behavior to report from my Pre-. If it is not something unique to me, it might make a good candidate to add to the wiki under the section that discusses clearing histories, uninstalling unused Just Type actions, etc.

    I had not upgraded my Pre- to 2.1 before the wiki was available. I meta-doctored to 2.1 according to the wiki instructions for that and made sure I had access to developer mode, Preware, Internalz, etc. I then followed the Pre- Upgrade Wiki up to (but not including) the swap partition resizing. After an epic struggle with my device (not related to anything in this thread), I managed to get my /media/internal directory emptied and my swap resized. At that point, my phone was flying! It was running 2.1 about as well as it had run 1.4.5. I then began the multi-day struggle to get my /media/internal stuff back on (again, an unrelated issue). I immediately noticed that my phone started to get bogged down as I copied files back onto it. After the App Catalog and Preware had finished redownloading all of my many many apps and the /media/internal directory had all of my info back, my device was dragging. I decided to delete some apps I rarely use, back up my Palm Profile and a few critical files from /media/internal and try meta-doctoring again. However, as I deleted apps, my phone started to show fewer hang-ups and stalls. By the time I had deleted about 20 unused apps, it was pretty snappy again. For the moment, I am going to hold off on further doctoring to see if it holds.

    My question is this: is there something about having a LOT of apps installed that might slow down the device (and especially Just Type)? Is the OS maintaining an index of apps or something that takes up a ton of memory even if the apps aren't running? If so, this might be some good advice to put in the wiki.
    I just decided to delete all the apps off my device to confirm this, and it is indeed true, having a lot of apps on your phone does slow it down.

    My only suspicion are that apps like "foursquare" "facebook" and other apps that have notifications that pop up even when the app is closed, are loading at boot, to make sure that they can poll the notifications, as no push service exists for WebOS.

    So a bunch of apps are actually loading at WebOS boot and sitting in memory. Put ontop of this that we cant entirely disable overcommit (turning it to 2, or off makes WebOS fail to boot) every app that preloads at boot will overcommit more RAM than it needs at that moment.

    And, some apps tie into Just Type so they are being indexed constantly.

    Also the more apps you have, the more you are going to use, and even when you close an app, unfortunately memory leaks and dirty memory still clogs up the RAM. You never completely rid an app from RAM when you close it.

    Also, when you load a PDK app it makes room for it in the memory, shoving a bunch of stuff into swap and really making a mess of things in general.

    So I can see all these things being culprits for why the phone slows down when there are more and more apps.
  13. #953  
    @rmausser - fwiw, the govnah says that compcache is "true" at 10mb, but using novaterm "/sbin/swapon -s" shows 532mb. I'm using UK at 1000/500 when close to a power source and 800/500 when I'm not sure when I'll be able to recharge.

    Three unusual occurrences: one random reboot (no clue what triggered it), while talking on phone the HP logo came on (still talking and receiving on phone) and after call was over HP logo stayed - had to do a battery pull, last thing is the daily alarm didn't go off in the morning (oops, late for work - gotta buy a real alarm clock just in case - lol).

    Just some things I've noticed...I appreciate your hard work and your input - thank you.
  14. #954  
    Quote Originally Posted by jkreisberg22 View Post
    @rmausser - fwiw, the govnah says that compcache is "true" at 10mb, but using novaterm "/sbin/swapon -s" shows 532mb. I'm using UK at 1000/500 when close to a power source and 800/500 when I'm not sure when I'll be able to recharge.

    Three unusual occurrences: one random reboot (no clue what triggered it), while talking on phone the HP logo came on (still talking and receiving on phone) and after call was over HP logo stayed - had to do a battery pull, last thing is the daily alarm didn't go off in the morning (oops, late for work - gotta buy a real alarm clock just in case - lol).

    Just some things I've noticed...I appreciate your hard work and your input - thank you.
    In novaterm, does cat/proc/ramzswap say 10MB for memlimit and a disksize of what ever the swap partition is?
  15. #955  
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    In novaterm, does cat/proc/ramzswap say 10MB for memlimit and a disksize of what ever the swap partition is?
    To be honest, you'd have to tell me how to find that out - I am good at following directions, but don't have much experience with that (that's what she said!).
  16. #956  
    Quote Originally Posted by jkreisberg22 View Post
    To be honest, you'd have to tell me how to find that out - I am good at following directions, but don't have much experience with that (that's what she said!).
    Type "cat /proc/ramzswap" into novaterm. A bunch of stats should appear. See my previous post for which to look for.

    On a side note, I've been relatively stable until recently were I'm now getting a few luna resets here and there. After I get my swap resized, I'll see if that helps or if I need to change UIMainlow to 512 again.
  17. #957  
    Here's the output/info...

    DiskSize 532480kB
    MemLimit 10240kB
    NumReads 9460
    NumWrites 151330
    FailedReads 0
    FailedWrites 0
    InvalidIO 0
    NotifyFree 2551
    ZeroPages 468
    GoodCompress 100%
    NoCompress 0%
    PagesStored 7644
    PagesUsed 2156
    OrigDataSize 30576kB
    ComprDataSize 8194kB
    MemUsedTotal 8624kB
    BDevNumReads 3085
    BDevNumWrites 4139

    Hope that helps.
  18. #958  
    Quote Originally Posted by jkreisberg22 View Post
    Here's the output/info...

    DiskSize 532480kB
    MemLimit 10240kB
    NumReads 9460
    NumWrites 151330
    FailedReads 0
    FailedWrites 0
    InvalidIO 0
    NotifyFree 2551
    ZeroPages 468
    GoodCompress 100%
    NoCompress 0%
    PagesStored 7644
    PagesUsed 2156
    OrigDataSize 30576kB
    ComprDataSize 8194kB
    MemUsedTotal 8624kB
    BDevNumReads 3085
    BDevNumWrites 4139

    Hope that helps.
    You didn't modify the compcache file correctly or your didn't install the compcache patch. What you are seeing is the stock compcache settings in use vs. the ones discussed here and in the wiki. If you want the larger compcache without the backing store, install the patch or modify it as shown in this thread (since you're a novice, I suggest using the patch).
  19. #959  
    I installed the compcache.patch from the wiki page using internalz pro. When I re-open the patch, it indicates that the patch is installed - my option as seen in this screen capture is to "uninstall patch"



    (Hope that's the appropriate size, if not, I will try again)

    So, other thoughts?
  20. #960  
    Quote Originally Posted by jkreisberg22 View Post
    I installed the compcache.patch from the wiki page using internalz pro. When I re-open the patch, it indicates that the patch is installed - my option as seen in this screen capture is to "uninstall patch"



    (Hope that's the appropriate size, if not, I will try again)

    So, other thoughts?
    Maybe rmausser can answer this better, as he made the patch. Since what you showed is using memlimit vs. disksize, this isn't modifying compcache as discussed in this thread.

Posting Permissions