Page 47 of 55 FirstFirst ... 374243444546474849505152 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Alright, I went into the WebOSDoctor, and created the patch from scratch.

Hopefully if this works. If it doesnt, then im fresh outta ideas.

WebOS 2 Upgrade Pre Minus - WebOS Internals
    I moved around the resizing steps. You should first resize the inside filesystem and then the container
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Worked! (at least installed w/o errors) I have had a problem with freeze ups & random restarts. My symptoms are always a freeze then dissolve to the penguin, as if my voltage settings are too low. I've followed the wiki and will increase F105 voltages if the symptoms persist. Stock F105 hasn't been so friendly so far. If it keeps happening I'll give UK a shot and see if it happens there...
    try f-104. i didnt use f-105 for very long. my phone never seemed to like it, all kinds of big problems. f-104 has been great so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    try f-104. i didnt use f-105 for very long. my phone never seemed to like it, all kinds of big problems. f-104 has been great so far.
    F105- Froze up & dissolved
    F104- Froze up & dissolved
    AV8B Harrier II (v2.1.0-71) froze
    Trying Uberkernel...
    "swapoff /dev/store/swap" is an invalid argument? i can't finish resizing my swap

Tuan-Anh-Buis-MacBook-Pro:~ tuananhbui$ Novaterm
    root@Tuan Anh - Palm Pre:/# lvm lvreduce -L 6.0G /dev/store/media
    File descriptor 10 (socket:[11326]) leaked on lvm invocation. Parent PID 16633: /bin/sh
    WARNING: Reducing active and open logical volume to 6.00 GB
    THIS MAY DESTROY YOUR DATA (filesystem etc.)
    Do you really want to reduce media? [y/n]: y
    Reducing logical volume media to 6.00 GB
    Logical volume media successfully resized
    root@Tuan Anh - Palm Pre:/# lvm lvresize -L +412M /dev/store/swap
    File descriptor 10 (socket:[11326]) leaked on lvm invocation. Parent PID 16633: /bin/sh
    Rounding up size to full physical extent 416.00 MB
    Extending logical volume swap to 520.00 MB
    Logical volume swap successfully resized
    root@Tuan Anh - Palm Pre:/# resizefat -v /dev/store/media 6.0G
    Device size: 12582912 (6442450944 bytes)
    File system size: 13991936
    Fixing file system by brute force
    Write file system header
    Write backup file system header to sector 6
    check filesystem: dosfsck -a /dev/store/media
    dosfsck 2.11, 12 Mar 2005, FAT32, LFN
    Free cluster summary wrong (211809 vs. really 189789)
    Auto-correcting.
    Performing changes.
    /dev/store/media: 4446 files, 6764/196553 clusters
    Device /dev/store/media, size 12582912 sectors
    0 percent complete.
    100 percent complete.
    100 percent complete.
    root@Tuan Anh - Palm Pre:/# swapoff /dev/store/swap
    swapoff: /dev/store/swap: Invalid argument
    Last edited by chopstick; 07/22/2011 at 06:03 AM.
  6. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    might want to edit out all of those percents, unnecessarily long
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chopstick View Post
    "swapoff /dev/store/swap" is an invalid argument? i can't finish resizing my swap
    The same thing happened to me. If I understand correctly, though, those final commands are not actually related to resizing the swap but rather to stopping the old swap and starting the new bigger one. I was feeling adventurous, so I simply rebooted after the swapoff, mkswap, and swapon lines failed to do anything. After the reboot, swapon -s was reporting a swap of ~520MB, so I think those commands might not be actually necessary. Of course, I am NOT an expert about this stuff and I would welcome any corrections from the people around here who actually know what they're talking about!
  8.    #928  
    I have been closely following this thread but am not willing to mess around with my only phone (dont have a landline) to this extent.

Following metadoctor and installing patches with Preware is one thing, this is some next-level kinda stuff.

Would it be possible once you guys figure out the best method (weather the kernel modifications or the memory management or a combination of both) to be made into one .ipk package that I could just install in Preware?

I would pay $20 for someone to make an easily installable file for this.

Or maybe UnixPsycho would be interested in adding the kernel hacks into his Thunderchief kernel?

Thanks.
    this is from post #95 of this thread from 5/5/11

Just reading through the thread and thought this was worth highlighting, seeing as how rmausser has been blazing the trail with seeming reckless abandon! Thanks Rmausser for all your contributions to this effort
    Last edited by loopytee; 07/22/2011 at 08:56 AM.
    What does this button do?

crappy phones -->treo 600--> 700p--> 755p--> Pre--->Pre- 2.1 F104-----Franken Pre+ 2.1 f105 ---> Franken pre2 2.2.4
    touchpad 16gig uberkernel woop woop!!!
    GreyRogue likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by chopstick View Post
    This is an unnecessary step if you have the compcache patch installed and reboot.

As compcache will now do this.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    Worked! (at least installed w/o errors) I have had a problem with freeze ups & random restarts. My symptoms are always a freeze then dissolve to the penguin, as if my voltage settings are too low. I've followed the wiki and will increase F105 voltages if the symptoms persist. Stock F105 hasn't been so friendly so far. If it keeps happening I'll give UK a shot and see if it happens there...
    Overclocking isn't for every phone.

No CPU is the same. They aren't built like a plastic mold, exact clones of each other, each one has varrying levels of imperfections.

That's why Texas Instruments clocked them at 600mhz.

That number isn't what the CPU's are capable of, its a low and safe number that all CPU's can handle regardless of their build quality.

So some CPU's can overclock nicely, and some can't.

Looks like you got a lemon unfortunately....

Quote Originally Posted by loopytee View Post
    this is from post #95 of this thread from 5/5/11

Just reading through the thread and thought this was worth highlighting, seeing as how rmausser has been blazing the trail with seeming reckless abandon! Thanks Rmausser for all your contributions to this effort
    Maybe as a meta-doctor. I've come to the conclusion that modifying a live webos system with an .ipk is a bad idea.

Ppl will just get upset if it breaks their phone and they lose everything.

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    is it best to resize the swap then install the compcache patch, or the otherway around?
    Quote Originally Posted by sturgie View Post
    is it best to resize the swap then install the compcache patch, or the otherway around?
    Do the steps in the order they are in the wiki.

Compcache patch first, swap resize after.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Something that might help others, I've found that my Pre-, despite these wonderful modifications, gets warm and slows to a crawl during automatic backups.

Should one start when you are already using a lot of swap, and you have a lot of apps it may take a long time or not finish at all. If you find your Pre- poorly responsive, not recovering, and not improving with reboots, try putting it in airplane mode to temporarily stop the backup process. Then in the backup app, turn off and delete your backup. Once that is done, reboot and turn backups back on and manually start one with clean memory.
    Last edited by rksand; 07/22/2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: tyop
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rksand View Post
    Something that might help others, I've found that my Pre-, despite these wonderful modifications, gets warm and slows to a crawl during automatic backups.

Should one start when you are already using a lot of swap, and you have a lot of apps it may take a long time or not finish at all. If you find your Pre- poorly responsive, not recovering, and not improving with reboots, try putting it in airplane mode to temporarily stop the backup process. Then in the backup app, turn off and delete your backup. Once that is done, reboot and turn backups back on and manually start one with clean memory.
    i dont get this problem because my backups always fail! haha
    I wish Palm had implemented a "backup time" for WebOS.

Like we could set backups to only happen at 5am, when I am sleeping.

I really dont want my phone to start backing up when I am texting someone wth google Maps, the memos app, Yelp and a browser window open, and using Data.

thats a less than ideal time to start backing a system up.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    i think they should let us choose what items we want to back up, so we only b/u whats important to us induvidualy
    Overclocking isn't for every phone.

No CPU is the same. They aren't built like a plastic mold, exact clones of each other, each one has varrying levels of imperfections.

That's why Texas Instruments clocked them at 600mhz.

That number isn't what the CPU's are capable of, its a low and safe number that all CPU's can handle regardless of their build quality.

So some CPU's can overclock nicely, and some can't.

Looks like you got a lemon unfortunately....

The weird part about this is I had it running F105 before no prob. I can't even get UK to work w/o freezing. I replaced the Sprint comm board with a GSM Pre2 board and ran a Dr. Rod made for this situation' using wifi only. I'm gonna start again from scratch with the GSM board in it, Dr., hack, and troubleshoot as much as I can. I can't see how switching comm boards would affect the processor. Maybe it just has some junk files somewhere and needs a full wipe. I'll keep posting as I run down the problems. Seems like a fixable Dev device though... It def won't run SR71 but F105 was working before. Like I said, weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    The weird part about this is I had it running F105 before no prob. I can't even get UK to work w/o freezing. I replaced the Sprint comm board with a GSM Pre2 board and ran a Dr. Rod made for this situation' using wifi only. I'm gonna start again from scratch with the GSM board in it, Dr., hack, and troubleshoot as much as I can. I can't see how switching comm boards would affect the processor. Maybe it just has some junk files somewhere and needs a full wipe. I'll keep posting as I run down the problems. Seems like a fixable Dev device though... It def won't run SR71 but F105 was working before. Like I said, weird.
    You took the device apart and put it back together again with different parts. Overclocking stability does not just depend on the stuff inside the processor chip.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I wiped it last night & followed the steps in rmausser's Pre Minus Upgrade Wiki. I have Impostah installed (to give me some app access) & starting w/o overclocking but running the suggested patches to see if I continue to freeze up with stock kernel. Maybe with minimal patching & clearing the swap & the larger partition it will keep it stable for a while. After I run it for a few days w/o freezing I will play with overclocking again.