Page 44 of 55 FirstFirst ... 34394041424344454647484954 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post

I *highly* recommend to NOT suggest to users that they install an alpha-grade kernel, no matter how stable we think it is. UberKernel should be suggested (or Harrier since 'Psycho just moved it out of the Testing Feed and into the Stable Feed).

After playing with all these kernels and watching/living all the fallout for the past year and half, this is merely my observation and suggestion...

Otherwise, it looks OK so far. I made an edit to the Change Logging Level already. The CDMA part wasn't 100%.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I *highly* recommend to NOT suggest to users that they install an alpha-grade kernel, no matter how stable we think it is. UberKernel should be suggested (or Harrier since 'Psycho just moved it out of the Testing Feed and into the Stable Feed).

After playing with all these kernels and watching/living all the fallout for the past year and half, this is merely my observation and suggestion...

Otherwise, it looks OK so far. I made an edit to the Change Logging Level already. The CDMA part wasn't 100%.

M.
    This IPK should be taken with an alpha level approach.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    This IPK should be taken with an alpha level approach.

OK...

I'm deleting my subscription to this thread after this post.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post

M.
    The most I am going to do is recommend that beginners only use UberKernel, and put huge warnings at the start of the kernel that this is alpha level- advanced users stuff. Proceed with caution.

This wiki will also talk about modifying the swap disk to 500mb, I dont think its fair to leave out a testing kernel and suggest users do this.

I think the whole wiki should be treated as testing level, bleeding edge, alpha content, and I will label it as such.
    The most I am going to do is recommend that beginners only use UberKernel, and put huge warnings at the start of the kernel that this is alpha level- advanced users stuff. Proceed with caution.

This wiki will also talk about modifying the swap disk to 500mb, I dont think its fair to leave out a testing kernel and suggest users do this.

I think the whole wiki should be treated as testing level, bleeding edge, alpha content, and I will label it as such.
    You'll be surprised at the number of people who will ignore all that and come shouting at you anyway if they have to doctor their device [Insight from personal experience]

What's your approach going to be to ensure that the ipkg applies cleanly on all devices (or fails safely if it does not), does not cause problems on OTA updates, and can be cleanly removed when no longer wanted? How will you prevent people trying to install it on a TouchPad? How will people be notified if there are any critical problems later found with the ipkg? How will be notified of updates, critical or otherwise?

These are all things to consider when you make the transition from instructions that people need to type on a command line (and therefore treat reasonably seriously) to an ipkg that they can click to install with Preware (and therefore is done without thinking or reading by anyone who gets the link from anywhere out of context).

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 07/19/2011 at 05:05 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I have got to say, I have been following this thread from the beginning and may I say I think the concept is brilliant, even though I haven't had the guts to try the methods in this thread myself or as in the wiki 'more advanced hacks'. I may be tempted to give the ipk's a try once they appear on the wiki!

I found the wiki great as there was a few things that I never thought of trying and saying that my 2.1 pre- is now steaming along even without the advanced hacks.

I totally agree with rwhitby and Xanadu that you shouldn't be recommending a bleeding edge kernel for use in the wiki but one of the more stable kernels like harrier or uberkernel. rmausser place the warning in big old bold red letters for your own sake, you really don't want it back firing in your face!
    You'll be surprised at the number of people who will ignore all that and come shouting at you anyway if they have to doctor their device [Insight from personal experience]

What's your approach going to be to ensure that the ipkg applies cleanly on all devices (or fails safely if it does not), does not cause problems on OTA updates, and can be cleanly removed when no longer wanted? How will you prevent people trying to install it on a TouchPad? How will people be notified if there are any critical problems later found with the ipkg? How will be notified of updates, critical or otherwise?

These are all things to consider when you make the transition from instructions that people need to type on a command line (and therefore treat reasonably seriously) to an ipkg that they can click to install with Preware (and therefore is done without thinking or reading by anyone who gets the link from anywhere out of context).

-- Rod
    I am still working on the .ipk, but all it will do is create a sysctl.conf file in /etc.

the sysctl.conf file is a linux file and thus compatible will pixi/touchpad etc.

People can install it all they want. It wont break their Touchpad etc, but it certainly isnt optimised for it, so they are free to have a slow touchpad all they want.

I have decided against making an "all in one" ipk but rather different patches for different things, and an IPK for the sysctl.conf. (as you cant patch a file that doesnt exist)

this way people can choose what they want to do, and if installing 5 patch files instead of one ipk is too difficult for someone to do, then they really shouldnt be doing this anyways.
    there is a problem with the wiki. on the chrome browser i can't read anything after "Resize Swap File and Disable Compcache"
    I have decided against making an "all in one" ipk but rather different patches for different things, and an IPK for the sysctl.conf. (as you cant patch a file that doesnt exist)
    Actually, you can. Do a "diff -BurN /dev/null new-file" and the output is a patch which creates the file from nothing.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Actually, you can. Do a "diff -BurN /dev/null new-file" and the output is a patch which creates the file from nothing.

-- Rod
    Rod you are amazing...

Cheers.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by chopstick View Post
    there is a problem with the wiki. on the chrome browser i can't read anything after "Resize Swap File and Disable Compcache"
    He hasn't written anything after that.
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    look again
    look again
    He wrote stuff after that

Now just for those links! :P
    Completed:

WebOS 2 Upgrade Pre Minus - WebOS Internals

Enjoy everyone.
    Any idea when you'll have those links up?
    Any idea when you'll have those links up?
    They are up!!
    They are up!!
    Thanks dude good work! Where can I post feedback? here?
    Looking at the 'More Advanced Hacks' section of your wiki:

Can the Sysctl.conf and Luna.conf patches be used without 'resizing the swap file and disabling compcache' in the meaning that they are optimisations in their own right, or are they all needed together to fully optimise the 2.1 pre- as a full method?

If you know what I mean
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    im just about to increase the swap partition, but im trying to back up my palm profile first, but the backup keeps failing, any other way i can backup my device? i just want to keep my conversations and call logs, ive used save/restore for the rest of it.
    ive got a pre- 2.1 F105 kernel