Page 43 of 55 FirstFirst ... 33383940414243444546474853 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTarkin View Post
    I am gonna create my own patch of that file =) Well at least for the buffer count. I did the 8px patch from preware to make it more ios smooth for dragging but it doesnt seem to work...LOL the value remains unchanged in luna.conf.
    Ill send you the stock luna.conf so I can test both just buffer change then all the other tweaks too =)

UPDATE, heck I didnt see an attachment option in the PM creation...so Ill just attach it here...

In my own experimentation I am changing the buffers to 8 and also, 8px drag radius and messing with the downloads section, put it to 128k I wonder if this is download speed cap.....? hrm....I also set it to max concurrent 4.

Rename it to .conf =)

UPDATE: =/
    Well, whatever I did my phone hated it. It wont boot up now, just sits on the first palm logo (the one before it starts fading in and out).

Time to do some rescue work on its ***....annoying. I wonder which setting freaked it out.

UPDATE:

So, I got it back up and running w/ default luna.conf...

I wonder which setting killed it...would the buffers have done it? Other than changing the buffers to 8, I changed the drag radius to 64, download concurrent to 4 and download max speed 131072....

Help?
    I'll ask the stupid question: Did you edit via Internalz and make sure EOL was set to Linux? That's what happened to me when I first started these tweaks.

For the Luna.conf file, I noticed in mine many of the settings did exist in 1.4.5 (though I didn't change all of them). For the Pixi, instead of setting UIMainLow to 256, I set it to 192, as the Pixi has less usable RAM than the Pre. I'm not sure if these settings helped, but removing browser keepalive sure as hell did. I just wish the 1.4.5 kernel had zone_reclaim as I'm sure that would really help clean-up.

If you post what your ipk will patch/change, I can check it against mine to see if anything doesn't exist/is different.
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    I'll ask the stupid question: Did you edit via Internalz and make sure EOL was set to Linux? That's what happened to me when I first started these tweaks.

For the Luna.conf file, I noticed in mine many of the settings did exist in 1.4.5 (though I didn't change all of them). For the Pixi, instead of setting UIMainLow to 256, I set it to 192, as the Pixi has less usable RAM than the Pre. I'm not sure if these settings helped, but removing browser keepalive sure as hell did. I just wish the 1.4.5 kernel had zone_reclaim as I'm sure that would really help clean-up.

If you post what your ipk will patch/change, I can check it against mine to see if anything doesn't exist/is different.
    Well, Im not editing the files on the pixi directly. Im moving them to my PC then editing from there, then creating a patch from those files. The Unified Diff Creator utility doesnt care what endline format is used in the files.
    The .patch file is agnostic of the input files as far as endline characters (linux differences in text files)

At least, thats how it worked for another patch I created. I have a feeling the buffer setting of 8 killed the pixi...someone else posted a similar thing I just did trying to use the patch file of similar contents (bunch of other stuff in it too).

I will create a patch just changing buffers to 8 and see if pixi survives that.
    Well, Im not editing the files on the pixi directly. Im moving them to my PC then editing from there, then creating a patch from those files. The Unified Diff Creator utility doesnt care what endline format is used in the files.
    The .patch file is agnostic of the input files as far as endline characters (linux differences in text files)

At least, thats how it worked for another patch I created. I have a feeling the buffer setting of 8 killed the pixi...someone else posted a similar thing I just did trying to use the patch file of similar contents (bunch of other stuff in it too).

That's good to hear. Just making sure you didn't do what I did.

Are you running linux? You can't use a windows editor like wordpad to edit .con files

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Are you running linux? You can't use a windows editor like wordpad to edit .con files

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    In my experience you can, as long as you make a patch from them. Like I stated, I am NOT taking the .conf off phone and putting into wordpad then changing then saving then putting directly back on phone. I am taking them off phone, making changes then using unified diff creator to create a patch file. It seems to be agnostic and spits out patch files correctly for linux, regardless of newline format used.

I can now confirm, my pixi hates screenbuffers above 3...thats what is causing luna to freak out.
    I changed the drag radius to 64 and also the download things I mentioned earlier, speeds and max concurrent...after applying the .patch, luna works fine. Although touch seems really picky now, doesnt pick them all up...not sure why that is =/ Oh well, may end up putting the touch stuff to defaults.
    Any luck/updates on the ipk? I am anxiously awaiting to try this.
    [QUOTE=rmausser;3022090]Update to the sysctl 'game changer' settings.

I'm probably going to make this into an .ipk tomorrow.

Code:
    vm.swappiness = 90
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 40
    vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 1200
    vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 500
    vm.dirty_background_ratio = 5
    vm.dirty_ratio = 90
    vm.min_free_kbytes = 1024
    vm.max_map_count = 131072
    vm.overcommit_memory = 1
    vm.overcommit_ratio = 70
    vm.zone_reclaim_mode = 2
    kernel.shmmax = 268435456
    kernel.shmall = 16777216
    sched_compat_yield = 1
    vm.page-cluster = 4
    vm.lowmem_reserve_ratio = 1024

[i]-- Sent from my Palm Pre using [url=

I've been using these settings along with the post #419 stuff for the past 3 days on a Pre- AV8B kernel playing Pandora almost constantly while browsing, emailing etc. The only xfactor is I have my phone radio off (my Dev phone, wifi only). I used to freeze up about 2-3 times a day and had to use 3 volume switches while holding power button to reboot. So far, NOT FREEZING UP!!! This is definitely an improvement! I have a GSM Pre2 board in a Sprint- device. If anyone wants swapon -s logs etc. let me know... Now back to some Angry Birds tests!
    Last edited by matteebee13; 07/12/2011 at 02:47 AM.
    So, I am going to make the .ipk soon, but I cant decide between these two settings:

Version 1:

vm.swappiness = 90
    vm.dirty_background_ratio = 5
    vm.dirty_ratio = 90
    vm.overcommit_memory = 1
    vm.overcommit_ratio = 70
    vm.zone_reclaim_mode = 2
    kernel.shmall = 16777216
    sched_compat_yield = 1
    vm.page-cluster = 4
    Version 2:

vm.swappiness = 90
    vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 18000
    vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 6000
    vm.dirty_background_ratio = 50
    vm.dirty_ratio = 90
    vm.max_map_count = 32768
    vm.overcommit_memory = 0
    vm.overcommit_ratio = 0
    vm.zone_reclaim_mode = 2
    kernel.shmall = 16777216
    sched_compat_yield = 1
    vm.page-cluster = 3
    Can you people try both versions and tell me which one works better for you??

Thanks.

Rob
    So, I am going to make the .ipk soon, but I cant decide between these two settings:

Version 1:

Version 2:

Can you people try both versions and tell me which one works better for you??

Thanks.

Rob
    My device definitely prefers Version 1. I had a freeze up after an hour of beating on it with page cluster set at 3. Browsing with Flash content, Pandora, Facebooking, etc. Switched back to Version 1 and haven't frozen up after several hrs of taxing it as much as possible. I'll post back in a few days after putting it through the ringer.
    I would like to try it, but - as probably most of the people - i have only the default 100MB swap. I will change my settings to one of your two suggestions, but i think the result will not be comparable to a device with more swap.

Edit:
    Ok, i start with version 1, using mkswap instead of backing_swap, a compcache of 96MB and the default swap partition of ~ 100MB. I have overcommit_memory still commented out in LunaSysMgr, so i don't know if the setting from sysctl.conf will apply, but i think it should do.
    Last edited by inta; 07/12/2011 at 02:57 AM.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Version 2 worked best for me. Version one was slow opening apps.

I have a pre- with 2.1 and implemented swap.

swapon -s
    Filename Type Size Used Priority
    /dev/ramzswap0 partition 98296 25856 100
    /dev/mapper/store-swap partition 106488 0 -2
    Last edited by Dale46; 07/12/2011 at 12:58 PM.
    Same here with version 1 - and most of the swap space is used and only few is cleared, which leads to the known lags if swap is cleared (lags are still shorter than without tuning). I think longer testing without more swap makes no sense, i'll switch over to version 2 and give that a go.

Edit:
    With version 2 my Pre did a shutdown in idle state (while i was away). I dropped sysctl.conf completely and will test with mkswap, overcommit 0 and compcache 96 now, at least to have a reference.

I think those two versions are only helpful with more swap. How is your exprience Rob?
    Last edited by inta; 07/13/2011 at 09:37 AM.
    my pre- is begging for this. when is the wiki and ipk ready?
    sturgie and delacro like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    OK, i'm going to take a stab at making a step-by-step for Xanadu73's approach in Post #74.

These instructions are meant to be executed on-device, with the possible exception of getting the files attached to this post to your device.

You will need:
    - SDL Terminal
    - Internalz Pro

Warning!
    You will need to mount your rootfs with write permissions to do this. If you aren't careful this can cause serious problems.

1) Download the LunaSysMgr and sysctl.conf files to your device. Put these somewhere like /media/internal/downloads/. I'll use this path in my commands below, you need to change this to YOUR location.
    2) Backup your old LunaSysMgr. In SDL terminal type: "cp /etc/event.d/LunaSysMgr /media/internal/LunaSysMgrOld" (LunaSysMgr is case sensitive!)
    3) mount rootfs with write permission. Type "mount -oremount,rw /"
    4) copy the new LunaSysMgr file to the right location. (Remember: use the path where you downloaded the files) Type "cp /media/internal/downloads/LunaSysMgr /etc/event.d". (LunaSysMgr is case sensitive!)
    5) Verify the file permissions are set correctly for LunaSysMgr. Type "ls /etc/event.d/LunaSysMgr -l" (that last character is a lowercase L). You should see "-rw-r--r--" and some other things. If you do not see "-rw-r--r--", type "chmod u=rw,go=r /etc/event.d/LunaSysMgr". Verify the permissions are "-rw-r--r--" by retyping the same ls command as above.
    6) Copy the sysctl.conf file to /etc. Type "cp /media/internal/downloads/sysctl.conf /etc".
    7) Verify with Internalz Pro that /etc/event.d/LunaSysMgr has the correct line commented out, and has the correct permissions. Verify that sysctl.conf is in the /etc path.
    8) Mount rootfs as read only. Type "mount -oremount,ro /"
    9) reboot your phone.
    10) report your results here.
    This is the method I used and everything worked well. I do notice a major improvement in the performance of the phone. The lag and lock ups are less frequent and I can navigate through apps pretty freely without any freezes. Thanks to all for coming up with this concept. I was a day away from throwing this phone in the river and getting a Droid.
    I will officially make the wiki and ipk on monday the 18th of July.

Its in my calendar.
    Somagarn likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kristoffer10 View Post
    This is the method I used and everything worked well. I do notice a major improvement in the performance of the phone. The lag and lock ups are less frequent and I can navigate through apps pretty freely without any freezes. Thanks to all for coming up with this concept. I was a day away from throwing this phone in the river and getting a Droid.
    +1 and add Rob's "game changer" settings to sysctl.conf. Still haven't figured out if it's my voltage settings or one of those versions that is causing random crashes yet though...
    Anyone tried this on touchpad yet? Touchpad seems to have the biggest memory leaks of any verson of webOS
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    Anyone tried this on touchpad yet? Touchpad seems to have the biggest memory leaks of any verson of webOS
    I wouldnt use these settings on Touchpad.

They favor Swap over memory.

With 1 gig of ram on the Touchpad, that would be stupid.

I'd do a sysctl.conf like this:

Code:
    vm.swappiness = 20
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 200
    vm.dirty_background_ratio = 20
    vm.dirty_ratio = 50
    vm.overcommit_memory = 0
    vm.overcommit_ratio = 10
    vm.zone_reclaim_mode = 2
    sched_compat_yield = 1
    vm.lowmem_reserve_ratio = 8192
    to try and deal with memory leaks but still favor RAM over swap.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I will officially make the wiki and ipk on monday the 18th of July.

Its in my calendar.
    Thanks! Looking forward to it!
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    any prgoress with the wiki + ipk?
    my pre is gaggin for this
    Thanks in advance