Page 41 of 55 FirstFirst ... 31363738394041424344454651 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    If this becomes optimized enough, Palm could potentially push 2.1 with these settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    I will be posting a .ipk file that will do all of this for you soon.

I'm still messing with sysctl...there are so many variables.

I might just post an .ink to preware and continually update it as I find better settings/optimization.

What are peoples thoughts on that?

I was gonna do it soon but I stumbled upon some radically different sysctl settings that I like. But I need to roadtest them first.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    nabril1569 and Somagarn like this.
    If it was in the testing feed that'd be understandable. The testing feed kernels can potentially make your device unusable without a doctor, so I don't know why something like this wouldn't be allowed.
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  4.    #804  
    i'm all for the testing feed idea, then we can all be consistantly testing the same thing and moving from there. Also, do these new "game changer" settings only apply to those that have increased there swap to 500? I haven't and am experiencing some "super" lag. Pre- 2.1 f105 swap says 116 and still running but its been sitting in my locker disconnected from the data connection for like 3 hours and when I tried to wake it up its sooo slow and already up to 116. I actually reset before placing it in the locker this morning.

thanks
  5.    #805  
    I tried these new settings, reset prior to my previous post
    I'd like to try it, but want to make sure I use the correct settings/ipk package for my Pre - w/ 256mb and F104A kernel. I have it set to 64mb swap, but dont know how preset things would interfere if at all w/ current setups. Surely it would just make govnah say unknown, then I could save a new profile and it would be named. I manually set my swap to permanently be 64mb, but dont know if the ipk would probably replace that?
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    I'm currently running the "game changer" settings and it seems fine so far but time will tell. I also have the f102 which has always been more stable and battery friendly for my phone. pre-. I was also wondering about the 500 MB swap thing as I have not done that. Do we have one post somewhere with a good set of instructions for that? The first post hasn't been updated and the search here sucks. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by loopytee View Post
    i'm all for the testing feed idea, then we can all be consistantly testing the same thing and moving from there. Also, do these new "game changer" settings only apply to those that have increased there swap to 500? I haven't and am experiencing some "super" lag. Pre- 2.1 f105 swap says 116 and still running but its been sitting in my locker disconnected from the data connection for like 3 hours and when I tried to wake it up its sooo slow and already up to 116. I actually reset before placing it in the locker this morning.

thanks
    sorry yes they are more for 500mb swap.

I have since tweaked the "game changer" settings again. The settings run the phone fast but I also got crazy bad lags sometimes.

Im trying to isolate what caused the phone to become so responsive and then tweak the settings a bit more to try and eliminate lag. I think page-cluster is causing the hangs.

Will post new settings by tonight.

but also the Testing feed sounds good. Ill actually put the ipk in this forum first as this is like a testing feed before the testing feed.
    We should turn off Govnah compcache right? Whenever I reboot my phone it's default on...
    Quote Originally Posted by lupos View Post
    I'm currently running the "game changer" settings and it seems fine so far but time will tell. I also have the f102 which has always been more stable and battery friendly for my phone. pre-. I was also wondering about the 500 MB swap thing as I have not done that. Do we have one post somewhere with a good set of instructions for that? The first post hasn't been updated and the search here sucks. Thanks!
    Yes, please read. Regardless of whether the search sucks, reading the entire thread is helpful because it explains:

A. Why we arrived at these settings.
    B. What these settings do.
    C. Different ideas for optimization for your needs.

Also, reading the entire thread answers the other questions others had above. Namely, that compcache MUST be off in Govnah, etc.

For the person that wondered why compcache was on by default, check your Govnah profile setting to make sure compcache is disabled by default. If not, make a new profile.
    Last edited by bassman97; 07/06/2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Added stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    We should turn off Govnah compcache right? Whenever I reboot my phone it's default on...
    i believe that if you change your compcache file accordingly then compcache can not even start so therefor will show as disabled. i know mine even with UK at 500/1000 the profile stays correct and compcache is disabled.
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    Also, reading the entire thread answers the other questions others had above. Namely, that compcache MUST be off in Govnah, etc.

For the person that wondered why compcache was on by default, check your Govnah profile setting to make sure compcache is disabled by default. If not, make a new profile.
    I've read every post in this thread from day one, but I wanted to clarify because it's been a while since I've asked that question and things have changed dramatically since this has all started.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    I've read every post in this thread from day one, but I wanted to clarify because it's been a while since I've asked that question and things have changed dramatically since this has all started.
    Nope, they are still off for the benefits of not having a backing disk by the use of manual settings.
  14.    #814  
    page cluster

I changed it from 6 to 3 on a whim, and my phone is running much better so far
    yup, agreed. i dont think page-cluster should be messed with. 3 is default.
    I might however try it at 2... I dont think more is better because what it controls is how many pages the kernel can move from ram to vm at once.

With 6, it bogs down the phone. With a lower number, it doesnt have the opportunity to swap as many pages in one go, so you dont get a big hang.
  17.    #817  
    hey graffix, any chance you could send me the partioning file you got? Can I ask for that in the forums? If not sorry
    I think before we start messing with setting up .ipk's in Preware the option to increase the swap partition from the meta-doctor needs to be nailed down. There seems to be almost universal agreement on 500MB of swap regardless of what other tweaks people are using.

Once we reach that milestone a lot more of us can easily jump on board to start testing these tweaks. I imagine the .ipk's can also check to make sure you have increased your swap partition so that people don't try testing all of this stuff and then jumping on here to complain about how their phone runs like garbage now, lol.
    The Meta-Doctor now has a SWAP_PARTITION_SIZE feature.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Somagarn and lupos like this.
  20.    #820  
    woooo hoooooo !!!!!!!!