Page 36 of 55 FirstFirst ... 26313233343536373839404146 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    So far...all seems to be in order. I'll report anything. I tried mounting the media drive with the USB cable, and removing the USB cable without ejecting the drive to see if it would force a scan of the USB portion, but it didn't do anything.
    looks like i need to take a visit to the dr. dont really know what happend. i have been using the same set up for a while now with no issues. all of a sudden it froze on the app catalog and faded out like there was a voltage issue. upon rebooting it gets to loading f-105 and then gets to a point where i can read kernel panic will reboot in 15 sec. even tried to memboot the original palm and no go.

that being said if there is a dr. method you want to try i am up for it.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    looks like i need to take a visit to the dr. dont really know what happend. i have been using the same set up for a while now with no issues. all of a sudden it froze on the app catalog and faded out like there was a voltage issue. upon rebooting it gets to loading f-105 and then gets to a point where i can read kernel panic will reboot in 15 sec. even tried to memboot the original palm and no go.

that being said if there is a dr. method you want to try i am up for it.
    I'll send you a private message with a patch to the meta-doctor that should make it create a 488M swap partition. If you will test this, it would be great. I have not tested this, so all the normal caviots apply.

If it works for you, then I will post it. I'll also see if I can get it in the next meta-doctor.

BTW: Are you going to use the new test-meta-doctor. It looks cool enough that I might just re-meta-doctor just to get it. This patch is based on that one.
    yeah i did, actually just created it. what am i going to need to do?
    do you think this will wipe my media? i didnt get a chance to back anything up since it was a crash out of nowhere that put me in this position anyway
    do you think this will wipe my media? i didnt get a chance to back anything up since it was a crash out of nowhere that put me in this position anyway

The "kernel not syncing" error that you posted in the kernel thread means that the kernel was unable to find and/or mount your root mount point. Chances are good that the entire drive is un-usable right now so I'd, personally, say there's the good chance that your vfat mount is totally gone, or will be after a doctoring. This is just a hunch, though...

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 06/22/2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: typos
    so strange, well whatever i guess it doesnt matter. thanks
    well the dr. built correctly but i cant get past 8% on the dr. im going to work on it a bit tomorrow at work and see if i can do the recovery to my hard drive and wipe it out. have the dr on my dropbox so i will hopefully have a good report tomorrow.
    well the dr. built correctly but i cant get past 8% on the dr. im going to work on it a bit tomorrow at work and see if i can do the recovery to my hard drive and wipe it out. have the dr on my dropbox so i will hopefully have a good report tomorrow.

If it makes you feel any better, it took my Pre- 3 or 4 tries to make it past (around) there. Same Doctor file and everything. It's been running like a champ since early March(?) with zero issues (after ripping out VoiceDial, of course...). You may want to try a battery pull. I think that (as well as making sure the battery was 100% full) is what did it for me.

M.
    well the dr. built correctly but i cant get past 8% on the dr.
    Post the log of running the doctor on the command line.

In general, you should *ALWAYS* run the doctor from the command line so you can see what it is doing. If you don't, then you (and everyone else) are just making blind guesses about what could be wrong.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    So I tried increasing the swap and the first step gave me this message

/usr/sbin/****.vfat -r /dev/mapper/store-media
    dosfsck 2.11, 12 Mar 2005, FAT32, LFN
    There are differences between boot sector and its backup.
    Differences: (offsetriginal/backup)
    71:50/4e, 72:41/4f, 73:4c/20, 74:4d/4e, 75:20/41, 76:50/4d, 77:52/45
    , 78:45/20
    1) Copy original to backup
    2) Copy backup to original
    3) No action
    ?
    Is this expected and if so, what do I do?
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    So I tried increasing the swap and the first step gave me this message

Is this expected and if so, what do I do?
    That means there is some corruption in that partition. You will have to pick option 1 or 2. And there really isn't a way to tell which is "better". Either way, there is the possibility of some file loss. Do a backup! Unfortunately it seems that webOS doesn't do consistency checks (fsck) of the dos partition so corruption could have happened at any time. I'm glad I added this step as the first step to identify corruption before any changes are made that could also potentially cause corruption.
    [QUOTE=rwhitby;3000665]Post the log of running the doctor on the command line.

In general, you should *ALWAYS* run the doctor from the command line so you can see what it is doing. If you don't, then you (and everyone else) are just making blind guesses about what could be wrong.

-- Rod[/Q

i know this is a dumb question but ive never run it from a command line before. little help?
    thanks
    ok tried it a few more times the normal way to open it and still losing it at 8% ill wait to here on how to run it through command line for the time being.
    thanks
    ok tried it a few more times the normal way to open it and still losing it at 8% ill wait to here on how to run it through command line for the time being.
    thanks
    http://bit.ly/lYBlso

M.
    man my work blocks that website for some reason :-(. also on the recovery thread if it comes to that it says to memboot in which is fine and then novaterm in and run a few lines. but since the phone goes into a boot loop is this a race kind of thing? can you not novaterm in just in recovery mode?
    man my work blocks that website for some reason :-(. also on the recovery thread if it comes to that it says to memboot in which is fine and then novaterm in and run a few lines. but since the phone goes into a boot loop is this a race kind of thing? can you not novaterm in just in recovery mode?
    Just google "manually run a .jar file".

I'm pretty sure you can novaterm in recovery mode, but I'm not near a computer at the moment to test.

M.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Another solution is found here: How To Recover - WebOS Internals

I had the same problem with the doctor freezing and constant reboots, it was due to corruption on the partitions from editing the memory sizes. I used the section labeled "Doctor disconnects at 8%" I figured a freeze is pretty close to a disconnect and it worked. ***Note, this will DEFINITELY wipe your USB partition.

EDIT:
    So with that in mind, try one of the other methods BEFORE this, but know that there is still hope haha.
    I had this problem before. I charged my phone to 100% and then left it on the touchstone and then plugged in a usb cable to my computer. Worked fine after that.
    Sprint pre -> Motorola Photon 4G
    here is my dr from command line. how did you charge your phone to 100% like this. mine just turns on and reboots.

flushing and closing
    -----runCommand
    vgscan ran, running vgchange
    returned from vgchange
    MountUtils: 8 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active

lvmGroupName set to store
    LVM Root Path: /dev/mapper/store-root
    LVM Var Path: /dev/mapper/store-var
    LVM Log Path: /dev/mapper/store-log
    LVM Media Path: /dev/mapper/store-media
    Mounting /dev/mapper/store-media to: /tmp_media
    +++++runCommand /usr/sbin/lvm.static

flushing and closing
    -----runCommand
    +++++runCommand /bin/mkdir
    flushing and closing
    -----runCommand
    +++++runCommand /bin/mount
    flushing and closing
    -----runCommand
    Mounting /dev/mapper/store-log to: /tmp_log

flushing and closing
    -----runCommand
    flushing and closing
    -----runCommand
    flushing and closing
    -----runCommand
    Jun 23, 2011 9:27:09 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logP
    rint
    INFO: SaveLogsBeforeFlash: mounted mediafs and logfs sucessfully

Jun 23, 2011 9:27:09 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logP
    rint
    INFO: SaveLogsBeforeFlash: media mount exists

Jun 23, 2011 9:27:10 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logP
    rint
    INFO: SaveLogsBeforeFlash: log mount exists

Jun 23, 2011 9:27:10 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logP
    rint
    INFO: SaveLogsBeforeFlash: /usr/local/sbin/recovery/dumplog.sh: line 41: DbgPrin
    t: not found

rint
    INFO: SaveLogsBeforeFlash: cp: can't stat '/tmp_log/installer.log': No such file
    or directory

rint
    INFO: SaveLogsBeforeFlash: cp: can't stat '/tmp_log/updated.log': No such file o
    r directory

rint
    INFO: SaveLogsBeforeFlash: WARNING:: Issue with saving logs

rint
    INFO: SaveLogsBeforeFlash: Done with SaveLog stage

Unmounting /dev/mapper/store-media
    +++++runCommand /bin/umount
    flushing and closing
    -----runCommand
    MountUtils:unmount successful
    MountUtils: Can't deactivate volume group "store" with 1 open logical volume(s)

flushing and closing
    -----runCommand
    Unmounting /dev/mapper/store-log
    flushing and closing
    -----runCommand
    MountUtils:unmount successful
    MountUtils: 0 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active

flushing and closing
    -----runCommand
    Jun 23, 2011 9:27:11 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logP
    rint
    INFO: Finished: SaveLogsBeforeFlash

Jun 23, 2011 9:27:11 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logP
    rint
    INFO: Starting: DataPreCheckStage

rint
    INFO: DataPreCheckStage: running pre-checks for data migration

rint
    INFO: DataPreCheckStage: checking to see if saving data is possible

rint
    INFO: DataPreCheckStage: pid is 985

rint
    INFO: DataPreCheckStage: Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while.

rint
    INFO: DataPreCheckStage: Found volume group "store" using metadata type lvm2

Jun 23, 2011 9:27:12 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logP
    rint
    INFO: DataPreCheckStage: 8 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now activ
    e

Jun 23, 2011 9:27:12 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logP
    rint
    INFO: DataPreCheckStage: mounting media

rint
    INFO: DataPreCheckStage: Files saved-data.tar.gz and saved-var.tar.gz do not exi
    st

rint
    INFO: DataPreCheckStage: INFO:: Pre-check stage did not detect any restorable da
    ta. ReturnCode is: 1

rint
    INFO: DataPreCheckStage: Done with DataPreCheck stage

rint
    INFO: Finished: DataPreCheckStage

rint
    INFO: Starting: AppDeletion

rint
    INFO: AppDeletion: deleting applications folder

looking for LVM while in installer mode
    got lvm static, running vgscan
    MountUtils: Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...

MountUtils: Found volume group "store" using metadata type lvm2

flushing and closing
    -----runCommand
    vgscan ran, running vgchange
    returned from vgchange

lvmGroupName set to store
    LVM Root Path: /dev/mapper/store-root
    LVM Var Path: /dev/mapper/store-var
    LVM Log Path: /dev/mapper/store-log
    LVM Media Path: /dev/mapper/store-media
    Mounting /dev/mapper/store-media to: /tmp_mediafs

flushing and closing
    -----runCommand
    flushing and closing
    -----runCommand
    flushing and closing
    -----runCommand
    Jun 23, 2011 9:27:13 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logP
    rint
    INFO: AppDeletion: attempting to remove appDirectory: /tmp_mediafs/.palm

Jun 23, 2011 9:27:48 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logP
    rint
    INFO: AppDeletion: removed the appDirectory: /tmp_mediafs/.palm

Unmounting /dev/mapper/store-media
    Jun 23, 2011 9:27:49 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController post
    FlashEvent
    WARNING: Flash Failure
    err -107 "Device has been disconnected. Command: run file:///bin/umount /dev/map
    per/store-media
    "
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomDevice.issueCommand(NovacomDevice.ja
    va:96)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomDevice.runProgram(NovacomDevice.java
    :133)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.MountUtils.runCommand(MountUtils.java:23
    9)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.MountUtils.umount(MountUtils.java:302)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.AppFolderDeletionStage.run(AppFol
    derDeletionStage.java:45)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.FlasherThread.run(FlasherThread.java:359
    )
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    Jun 23, 2011 9:27:49 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController post
    FlashEvent
    INFO: Flash End time (Fail) 1308835669878
    from C:\Users\blewis\AppData\Local\Temp\PalmWebOsRecoveryToolLog0.log.2
    to C:\Users\blewis\AppData\Local\Temp\palmInstallerError0.log
    from C:\Users\blewis\AppData\Local\Temp\PalmWebOsRecoveryToolLog0.log.1
    to C:\Users\blewis\AppData\Local\Temp\palmInstallerError1.log
    Jun 23, 2011 9:27:52 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController hand
    leFailCase
    INFO: something failed, query to see if device is plugged in
    Jun 23, 2011 9:27:52 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController hand
    leFailCase
    INFO: exiting handleFailCase()
    err -107 "Device has been disconnected. Command: run file:///bin/umount /dev/map
    per/store-media
    "
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomDevice.issueCommand(NovacomDevice.ja
    va:96)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomDevice.runProgram(NovacomDevice.java
    :133)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.MountUtils.runCommand(MountUtils.java:23
    9)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.MountUtils.umount(MountUtils.java:302)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.AppFolderDeletionStage.run(AppFol
    derDeletionStage.java:45)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.FlasherThread.run(FlasherThread.java:359
    )
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    Jun 23, 2011 9:27:53 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscov
    eryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    INFO: got controller
    Jun 23, 2011 9:27:53 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscov
    INFO: got devices 0
    Jun 23, 2011 9:27:54 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscov
    Jun 23, 2011 9:27:54 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscov
    Jun 23, 2011 9:27:55 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscov
    Jun 23, 2011 9:27:55 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscov
    Jun 23, 2011 9:27:56 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscov
    Jun 23, 2011 9:27:56 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscov
    Jun 23, 2011 9:27:57 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscov
    Jun 23, 2011 9:27:57 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscov
    INFO: timed out looking for device
    Jun 23, 2011 9:27:57 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController runn
    erFinished
    INFO: device runner done
    Jun 23, 2011 9:27:57 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController runn
    erFinished
    WARNING: the device seems to have been unplugged, try again

C:\Users\blewis>