Page 33 of 55 FirstFirst ... 23282930313233343536373843 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    wish i did i would be all over this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Who's got a spare Pre- and wants to play?

This should shrink /media/internal *and* update the FS at the same time. After that, stretch the existing swap "partition", "format" and mount it.

Code:
    # umount /media/internal
    # swapoff /dev/store/swap
    # lvm lvresize -r -L -256M /dev/store/media
    # lvm lvresize -L +256M /dev/store/swap
    # mkswap /dev/store/swap
    # swapon /dev/store/swap
    The "-r" is important. The man page says that it "resizes the file system". I don't know if that includes vFAT or not (that's the real BIG TEST here - the rest is nothing special). I can't find anything that says either way. As far as the numbers goes, lvreduce/lvextend/lvresize accept "relative" numbers. You'll see the + and the - above. That's adding and subtracting space rather than giving it exact values as was done before which left "dead space" on the disk.

In theory, it really should be as easy as the above.

Who's got a spare Pre?

M.

#######
    # EDIT:

Just added the umount/swapoff in case there's a person reading this that isn't very Linux savvy...
    #######
    For this:

Code:
    # umount /media/internal
    I get:
    Code:
    umount: can't umount /media/internal: Device or resource busy
    EDIT:
    Code:
     umount -f /media/internal
    works.

and for this:

Code:
    I get:
    Code:
    sh: 1000000000000000: out of range
    fsadm: Shell does not handle 64bit arithmetic
      fsadm failed: 1
    Last edited by rmausser; 06/17/2011 at 12:35 AM.
    Also something that has happened to me lately is that my /media/internal is a read-only system

Anyone know how I can fix this?

chmod 777 /media/internal in terminal did not work.

EDIT

Ironically, forcing /media/internal to unmount above fixed this. Lol. Killed 2 birds with one stone.
    Last edited by rmausser; 06/17/2011 at 12:37 AM.
    Who's got a spare Pre- and wants to play?

This should shrink /media/internal *and* update the FS at the same time. After that, stretch the existing swap "partition", "format" and mount it.

Code:
    # umount /media/internal
    # swapoff /dev/store/swap
    # lvm lvresize -L +256M /dev/store/swap
    # mkswap /dev/store/swap
    # swapon /dev/store/swap
    The "-r" is important. The man page says that it "resizes the file system". I don't know if that includes vFAT or not (that's the real BIG TEST here - the rest is nothing special). I can't find anything that says either way. As far as the numbers goes, lvreduce/lvextend/lvresize accept "relative" numbers. You'll see the + and the - above. That's adding and subtracting space rather than giving it exact values as was done before which left "dead space" on the disk.

In theory, it really should be as easy as the above.

Who's got a spare Pre?

M.

#######
    # EDIT:

Just added the umount/swapoff in case there's a person reading this that isn't very Linux savvy...
    #######
    I thought this would work at first, and I was doing something similar, but the lvresize command DOES NOT resize the filesystem.

You'll end up with a partition that's smaller than the filesystem, and the next time it tries to do a ****.vfat, it will die (first step is to check it it can access the last sector, which it won't).

You still have to use resizefat

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Thank you for testing, guys!

I get two things out of that testing:

1. lvm's -r can't resize a vFAT file system. Yes, we do need to use resizefat.
    2. To use resizefat, it can't be mounted. So I think this all needs to be done when the phone is in recovery mode (the "hold volume up button" trick).
    I don't think /media/internal is mounted at that point, or if it is, nothing should be using it so it should be able to be naturally unmounted and not forced.

Side question: Where does one get resizefat?!? I can't find what package contains resizefat in "normal" Linux distros. It certainly isn't the standard dosfstools:

Code:
    $ equery f dosfstools | grep bin
    /sbin
    /sbin/dosfsck
    /sbin/****.msdos
    /sbin/****.vfat
    /usr/sbin
    /usr/sbin/dosfslabel
    /usr/sbin/mkdosfs
    /usr/sbin/mkfs.msdos
    /usr/sbin/mkfs.vfat

M.
    Thank you for testing, guys!

I get two things out of that testing:

1. lvm's -r can't resize a vFAT file system. Yes, we do need to use resizefat.
    2. To use resizefat, it can't be mounted. So I think this all needs to be done when the phone is in recovery mode (the "hold volume up button" trick).

I don't think /media/internal is mounted at that point, or if it is, nothing should be using it so it should be able to be naturally unmounted and not forced.

Side question: Where does one get resizefat?!? I can't find what package contains resizefat in "normal" Linux distros. It certainly isn't the standard dosfstools:

Code:
    $ equery f dosfstools | grep bin
    /sbin
    /sbin/dosfsck
    /sbin/****.msdos
    /sbin/****.vfat
    /usr/sbin
    /usr/sbin/dosfslabel
    /usr/sbin/mkdosfs
    /usr/sbin/mkfs.msdos
    /usr/sbin/mkfs.vfat
    M.
    root@palm-webos:/# which resizefat
    /bin/resizefat

But please, don't do it on live filesystems... do it in recovery mode. I'm quite sure resizefs is in the installer image that comes with the doctor, and if it isn't there you can always mount the rootfs.

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    root@palm-webos:/# which resizefat
    /bin/resizefat

But please, don't do it on live filesystems... do it in recovery mode. I'm quite sure resizefat is in the installer image that comes with the doctor, and if it isn't there you can always mount the rootfs.
    But I mean in like Red Hat, Ubuntu, Gentoo, etc., where does someone get resizefat?

Aside, I 100% agree, ALL of this should be being done in recovery mode and NOT when the phone is fully booted.

M.
    But I mean in like Red Hat, Ubuntu, Gentoo, etc., where does someone get resizefat?

Aside, I 100% agree, ALL of this should be being done in recovery mode and NOT when the phone is fully booted.

M.
    Ah, you could use gparted, or parted (the cli one)

M.
    I think you are looking for fatresize package.

There is an optware arm package for fatresize as well.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts

M.
    Another place to do this would be in the Meta-doctor. It is resizing anyway, why not mod it to resize differently. I tried looking at it but I am just swamped right now and I didn't get very far. Any Meta-doctor gurus? I would re-doctor for a larger swap.
    Agreed, i mentioned this a few posts back.. if that would be the easiest safest way then im would def. re dr. for it. but if we can do it in recovery mode than i dont mind doing that either.
    I just realised something and thought I would ask.

I am using 256mb swap without resizing the media internals partition (so far the phone hasnt exploded)

But with no compcache as I have a larger swap file.

BUT I am still using MkSwap. Not backing store.

I didnt stop to think: is backing store better for when not using compcache at all?

Like is mkswap better overall than backing store? or is it only good with compcache because of the way it gives compcache priority.

So without compcache should I be using Palms standard of backing store...or should I be still using mkswap?

anyway to use either and give them the ol' speed test to find out?
    Another question? I realize in Ubuntu that I can change the priority of different tasks.

Is there a way to set priority via commandline permanently so that say, Luna and the Phone have the highest priority, and all other apps have a low priority?

This way I am hoping that the UI is smooth even under stress, as Luna is given the priority, and I can answer phone calls with lots of apps open.

I could care less if my reddit app or twitter app lock up for a bit. What I really hate is when the whole UI (LUNA) becomes unresponsive, and the Phone app wont load when soemone calls.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Found the following in meta doctor directory (webos\castle.xml)
    Code:
    <VolumeGroups>
    	<Group name="store" pv="pv" physicalextentsize="8MB">
    		<Volume id="root" type="ext3" size="456MB" mount="/"/>
    		<Volume id="var" type="ext3" size="64MB" mount="/var"/>
    		<Volume id="update" type="ext3" size="16MB" mount="/var/lib/update"/>
    		<Volume id="log" type="ext3" size="24MB" mount="/var/log"/>
    		<Volume id="mojodb" type="ext3" size="144MB" mount="/var/db"/>
    		<Volume id="filecache" type="ext3" size="136MB" inode_size="256" mount="/var/file-cache"/>
    		<Volume id="media" type="fat32" size="*" mount="/media/internal"/>
    		<Volume id="swap" size="104MB"/>
    	</Group>
    </VolumeGroups>
    The meta-doctor script just change the 64MB to larger value for larger var size, so may be we can just modify 104MB to larger size for larger swap?
    Last edited by rcmarvin; 06/19/2011 at 08:12 AM.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rcmarvin View Post
    Found the following in meta doctor directory (webos\castle.xml)
    Code:
    <VolumeGroups>
    	<Group name="store" pv="pv" physicalextentsize="8MB">
    		<Volume id="root" type="ext3" size="456MB" mount="/"/>
    		<Volume id="var" type="ext3" size="64MB" mount="/var"/>
    		<Volume id="update" type="ext3" size="16MB" mount="/var/lib/update"/>
    		<Volume id="log" type="ext3" size="24MB" mount="/var/log"/>
    		<Volume id="mojodb" type="ext3" size="144MB" mount="/var/db"/>
    		<Volume id="filecache" type="ext3" size="136MB" inode_size="256" mount="/var/file-cache"/>
    		<Volume id="media" type="fat32" size="*" mount="/media/internal"/>
    		<Volume id="swap" size="104MB"/>
    	</Group>
    </VolumeGroups>
    The meta-doctor script just change the 64MB to larger value for larger var size, so may be we can just 104MB to larger size for larger swap?
    Nice find. Thanks. I looked and the top level Makefile seems like it can very easily be modified to make the change. I basically just copied what INCREASE_VAR_SPACE is doing and created a new INCREASE_SWAP_SPACE variable that changes swap to 360M. If someone wants it I can send the diff. I have not tried this yet. So this needs lots of caution. I have some free time on Tuesday and I think I will try it then.

Dave
    Note that if you change partition sizes, the next time you doctor that device with a doctor that has not been equivalently modified to match those sizes, then you USB partition will likely be erased. Similarly for an OTA update that changes partition sizes.

Has the alternative of using a plain old swap file on /media/internal somewhere been ruled out?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Has the alternative of using a plain old swap file on /media/internal somewhere been ruled out?

-- Rod
    Yes. Without turning off that swap first, the device can't remount /media/internal for use as a flash drive. That's why changing partition sizes is being looked into.

M.
    Yes. Without turning off that swap first, the device can't remount /media/internal for use as a flash drive. That's why changing partition sizes is being looked into.

M.
    Hmm - that's going to affect the new optware loop ext3 filesystem too.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Hmm - that's going to affect the new optware loop ext3 filesystem too.

-- Rod

? I thought you had figured out an alternative to that. I haven't seen you mention that issue for a while now. But, yes, it should be the same situation. :-(

M.